1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help training my dog for coon hunting

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by monsterkx2fiddy, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Nov 4, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    monsterkx2fiddy

monsterkx2fiddy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Birthplace of Davy Crockett
    I recently just purchased a bluetick. Shes still way too young to hunt but im looking for any advice I can get for training her. Does anyone have or know of good videos/books for teaching my dog how to coon hunt? Also what kind of equipment do you guys use such as trackers etc..

I found on craigslist a f&l tracking system with one collar for 175$ should I jump on it?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Nov 5, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    LEEP

LEEP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEE
    CONNECTICUT
    Vehicle:
    O8 TACOMA TRD
    GO WITH SOMEONE WHO HAS A GOOD STRAIGHT HOUND NO FAST GAME IE DEER

3. Nov 6, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    monsterkx2fiddy

monsterkx2fiddy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Birthplace of Davy Crockett
    I was planning on it. Im going to ask a few buddys if I can tag along when I get a chance. The hardest thing is that im working when they go out.
    What about that tracking system? Is it worth it?

4. Nov 7, 2012 at 3:47 AM
    LEEP

LEEP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEE
    CONNECTICUT
    Vehicle:
    O8 TACOMA TRD
    I NEVER NEEDED ONE SAVE YOUR $

5. Nov 7, 2012 at 4:14 AM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Garmin GPS...havent tried anything else but seen other things work and in most of the areas it catches good. Its not good in deep valleys(I guess you guys call em canyons) or heavily forested areas.

i hunt pig with dogs, I dont go for birds. Weve got a blue lacey breed mixed with an Australian Catahoula and that dog goes far...I mean, like 2 miles easy...one crank, just run 2 miles, turn around and come back. We also have a female from that same blue lacey line that has catahoula and black mouth curr and shes a natural bird dog. Goes a few hundred yards at most and she ALWAYS barks birds even though shes trained for sniffing out and stopping pigs. Those two dogs bred and the pups are almost a year and a half and we have 3 pups from that litter. The daughter that looks exactly like the father goes VERY far, gets lost and takes too long to back track. Shes actions pigs and ive tried to hunt her without bird dogs...I dont want that. We kept two pure blue looking ones and they both pulled different traits but both barked birds and one went to a family friend to get trained to work with cattle not too long ago. The third we have left is a boy and he's a natural bird dog but still knows pig. There's a yap in the hound that I cant get to go away. Ok shit, I dont think im helping here...but have fun raising and training that pup!

6. Nov 7, 2012 at 4:19 AM
    elwood

elwood "Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    K/N cold air intake, leer cap, running boards, nose gaurd,E brake control, mud flap cut, suspension tsb, Rear diff breather mod,Factory Fog lights, Factory front diff cover
    LEEP is correct, go with someone who has a good dog. That has never run deer or ?? and they will help each other.
    Live trap a few every so often and let them get a good smell then a good chew. Stick with the dog and don't give up. Ticks are born cooners!

7. Nov 7, 2012 at 4:22 AM
    TNDrew

TNDrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    WeatherTech DigitalFit Liners, Bench Seat Angle Fixed, Fog Lights (Nokya 2500k HyperYellow bulbs), aFe ProDry drop in, DeeZee bed mat, UWS black low pro tool box, Marathon Seat Covers (ordered should arrive mid-May). iSimple iPod adapter, Blacked out badges, SockMonkey WhiteTail Toyota Horns decal, LED Dome and License Plate Lights (LEDSolutions), Black Headlight Mod,
    Walk with Wick by John Wick is a really good book.

8. Nov 7, 2012 at 4:24 AM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    First time I threw the pups in the corral with a pig when they were 9 months old. I was surprised!
    The dads a natural...the mom is a pos. lol
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top