1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Concealed Carry in '11 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Torres2011, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Nov 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    Is there a reason to mount your gun in your center console?

2. Nov 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    Torres2011

Torres2011 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Safe, secure, and ease of access. The slight chance you may ever need to protect yourself or family, do you really want to have to fumble around with it under a seat or on top of junk in your glove box?! Thoughts?

3. Nov 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    david2011sr5

david2011sr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    take a guess
    MA/VT
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    afe pro dry, weather tech floor liners,5100's on all four corners@ 0, eibach 620 coils. toytec 3/4" spacer driver/s & passenger/s, rear spring tsb w/toytec 1" blocks, 4runner sport wheels, in channel vent visors, 1.25 spidertrax wheel spacers on the front, Wet Okole's, smity tow hook.
    Very clean. Way better than the gay pocket on my wet okole's.

4. Nov 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    As someone who carries daily, if your goal is protection, the gun should be on you not in the console of the truck. For storage purposes if thats the goal then it should be in something more secure than your center console.

I'm not ragging on you in the least I just think the unsecured center console is not a place for a gun.

Driving down the highway you are relatively safe from ever needing a firearm and in a situation where you may be stationary and require a firearm its in a situation where most likely you would not have the opportunity to draw it from the console.

If you exit your vehicle you should have it on your person otherwise its useless sitting in your truck. By the same token if you exit your vehicle and leave a loaded firearm in the vehicle, you risk one day coming out to find you no longer have a loaded firearm.

Anyway those are just my thoughts take them or leave them. ;)

5. Nov 12, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    IMO you should of mounted it under your seat, that's what i intend on doing. atleast then you don't have to go into your Center Console (also for me, that's where i keep all my shit)

6. Nov 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    Torres2011

Torres2011 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks for the feedback. I do carry on person as well, I do agree with that. This was a secondary option. If it was needed while in my vehicle i can access this one much quicker than on my person. This is also a place to store my gun while in my vehicle. I know many people who just have it under a seat, unsecured, or a glove box moving around, again unsecured.

7. Nov 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
    ^This. Few posts by TW folks who've had their trucks broken into and their gun taken... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/229602-ive-been-robbed.html

If you're going to keep your gun unoccupied in your truck, a vault is a responsible choice. $259 if you use the TW discount. My 0.02

8. Nov 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    Torres2011

Torres2011 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
  9. Nov 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    You can access your firearm faster from inside your center console than you can on your person??? That's not right. I would address that as a training or equipment issue.

You also need to consider that you are arming yourself inside your vehicle where you will most likely never need a firearm but disarming yourself as soon as you step out of your vehicle where you have a greater chance of finding yourself in an armed encounter.

The solution is to take your holster which you already have, and mount in on your belt where it should be. No additional cost. You will then have your sidearm where you need it, on your side and not have to worry about theft from your vehicle.

10. Nov 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    Wish I could leave mine there while I drive.

In regards to drawing the weapon while it is in the center console, I can say that if you need it, you will get it quickly.
    I have a friend who recently had to pull on a semi driver who got out of his truck and approached his car in a hostile manner. It was in the center console of his civic (smaller car, smaller console) and before the driver and passenger of the semi got to his car he had his xd cocked and ready to protect himself.

I wouldn't leave it there "unsecured" while away from the truck for a long period of time. But, I would leave it there while I drive.

11. Nov 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    DaWillDaBeast

DaWillDaBeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 with some goodies
    Things
    I carry a LCP inside my waist band and its impossible to draw efficiently from there when sitting in the truck. So I carry mine in my center console when driving or tucked into my seat because that's the fastest way for me to draw if needed.

12. Nov 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
  13. Nov 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    DaWillDaBeast

DaWillDaBeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 with some goodies
    Things
    Forgive me if I have offended you god of internet weaponry and badassness

14. Nov 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    :p

15. Nov 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
    You friends w/ Plaxico? Here's what you find if you google "waist band weapon" and are feeling lucky.

16. Nov 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Sounds like poor weapons handling to me :rolleyes: There's nothing wrong with IWB

17. Nov 13, 2012 at 4:09 AM
    Gramps

Gramps My walker is faster than your Prius!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A small handful of select mods.
    I agree with what you are saying but need to ask what type of holster you use that does not interfere with the seat belt while driving? I have not tried this yet but in theory the seat belt would be in the way if you weapon is on your hip wouldn't?

18. Nov 13, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I put the holster on the left side for a crossdraw if I am going to be in and out of a vehicle as the driver. It has less of a conflict with the driver's seatbelt. It also keeps the weapon away from a passenger.

I do practice using the crossdraw at the range.

19. Nov 13, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    tdunc

tdunc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    I keep the pistol in my safe when it's not on me, however, I'd like to mount it somewhere there's "easy" access if I'm driving through neighborhoods that may require protection. It's not just for access driving down the highway, sometimes you're driving through several stop lights, and can't always be too sure about the people you're around. I'd like to keep it as hidden as possible while I'm sitting in the seat, because the only person who will see it will be looking down the barrel (I hope this never has to happen). If I'm unable to carry it within a business, etc. I can lock it up in my console vault.

20. Nov 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    Gramps

Gramps My walker is faster than your Prius!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A small handful of select mods.
    I am lefthanded so with what you are saying it does not interfere much. I will have to do some testing.

Products Discussed in

To Top