1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Concealed Carry in '11 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Torres2011, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Nov 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    i too am left handed...normally when im on a road trip i stick my j frame between the shifter and the seat so i can reach it with my right hand. my edc stays in its place on my left side

2. Nov 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    Torres2011

Torres2011 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    When's it at your side, under a shirt(concealed) and you have a seat belt on.... Yes console is faster if seated in vehicle. Out of vehicle, of course not.

3. Nov 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    Torres2011

Torres2011 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks for sharing. This is my point.

4. Nov 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    Torres2011

Torres2011 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hahahahaha!

5. Nov 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    TRDtexasTaco

TRDtexasTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    Sunnyvale Trailer Park
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner
    Billy shocks, Maxtrac spindels, AllPro standard leafs, BAMF shock relocation, King 2.5 smoothies
  6. Nov 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    Hunter.V.White

Hunter.V.White Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    I'm curious as to what you carry and how that allows you to beat drawing from our center consoles (new model that opens away from driver).

I can definitely agree that a shoulder holster will be faster. However, I carry my warm-weather weapon in a Crossbreed Supertuck (IWB) and can't see beating my draw time from a set-up similar to the OP's holster mount. I am right handed and my IWB usually sits more behind me (dimple of glute) than on my side (I'm smaller framed).

I carry every day that I legally can (not going to federal building, bar, etc.) but I would also like to have a dedicated weapon to leave in the truck for excursions that I don't carry something on my person (I'll still have access to something while driving or in a parking lot - better than not having something at all). I haven't made up my mind as to how I am going to accomplish this yet, so I'm open for suggestions. I could carry always and just remove my holster before I exit the vehicle, but this is kind of a pain with the crossbreed IWB's.

I just bought as S&W .357 (model 60LS) for this purpose and am now doing research as to how I want to secure it to the truck. I want it easily accessible, out of sight so no one breaks in to steal it, yet not easily found / stolen if the truck is broken in to. Perhaps a hidden compartment like the coin box left of the steering column? Thanks for any help!

7. Nov 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    After some further research on the topic and reading a few threads on TW, I decided to go with a console vault. It was really the threads on theft that convinced me to go with a more secure solution.

However, after a conversation with my roommate (an electrical engineer from Georgia Tech), we decided that a viable mod to the console vault would be to replace the locking mechanism with an electronic proximity lock. The goal would be to install a lock that would automatically open when I was in the vehicle, and lock when I left the vehicle - thus allowing easy access in a crisis situation.

We were thinking of using similar technology to a proximity FOB/RFID lock. I could potentially keep a fob on my keychain, and when it got within 2 feet of the lock, it would automatically open. Like wise, when I got out of the 2 foot radius, the console vault would automatically lock. I might also try to rig up a speaker or LED to give some kind of confirmation that the lock opened and closed.

Anyways, now it's waiting for the console vault to get here and then we can dive into the next steps for engineering the perfect solution. More to follow.

8. Nov 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

Bars are not off limits to you Hunter...since you are military you are exempt from the off limits places set forth in Georgia law just like a police officer see OCGA 16-11-130.3

http://georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=130

9. Nov 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    I know you are absolutely right; I almost have that piece of legislation memorized. However, I only go to bars if I intend to consume alcohol, and I don't necessarily think that is a good decision, but at the same time, if I am driving (which I often do) I know that I will be under the legal limit the whole time (I have a breathalyzer in my truck to confirm this - I'm not going to lose my commission) so I responsibly could carry, drink one (all I ever have) and still be safe. It's just generally not a good rule of thumb in my opinion. I am just really cautious as to what boundaries I'll push. For example, under the same exemption I can carry on a school campus.

I was speaking at Georgia Tech during a student government "open forum" concerning the consideration by the faculty to allow concealed carry on campus, and I engaged a Georgia Tech police officer on the topic of military carrying on campus (be advised that we had the law printed out at the meeting for reference). He told me that per guidance from the Georgia Tech police chief, that the police were to arrest anyone found carrying concealed and they would let the police station / court sort it out. After hearing this, and him acknowledging that my military status allowed me to legally carry, I decided that I didn't want to deal with being arrested (possibly multiple times) while on campus.

I can't say how Atlanta PD would respond to me exercising my exemptions, but after that experience I don't have high hopes for walking away un-cuffed.

10. Nov 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

11. Dec 31, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    I, too, carry IWB - big fan as long as you know your gun and what not to do. I was a little hesitant with my Sig since there is no safety, but I'm comfortable enough with it now that I do not worry. I use a Galco IWB and the trigger as well as the hammer are well protected and secured so I am not worried about it getting caught.

With that holster, there is no way in hell I'd be able to draw fast enough to protect myself if a situation arose suddenly.

Center console is where I will be holstering my Sig while driving. Already ordered the Maxpedition CCW Holster and some industrial strength velcro. $9 for the holster - can't beat that shit.

:rofl:

^ ^ Great posting.

Ever get that console vault modified?

Fink

12. Jan 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    I haven't modified it yet unfortunately. I have been in the infantry basic officer leadership course (IBOLC) down at Ft. Benning, and haven't had time. Perhaps when I get out of TRADOC I will have more time to mod my truck.

I am still hoping to put the proximity lock on. The original mechanical combination lock is not very smooth; sometimes I have a real hard time spinning the number wheels, which makes the "draw time" almost impractical in an emergency situation. I do like having it though; it is nice to confidently store firearms and other valuables in there.

13. Jan 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    Understood. Thank you for your service!!

I'll post up pics of my Maxpedition CCW holster in my center console for those that are interested.

Fink

14. Jan 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    :amen::rofl:I woke my wife up laughing at this.

Such a Marine thing to say. :oldglory: I love all my devils but their verbage is one of a kind. It's not a fact of not training well enough for this. It is hands down much slower to dig inside your pants while sitting for a gun that to pop open a little door.

15. Jan 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    I'm pretty sure Mike was talking about an IWB holster in general, not necessarily saying IWB is the best for when sitting in a vehicle. I could be wrong, though.

Fink

16. Jan 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    motoxer311

motoxer311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Sweet.. Mine is in my holster.. :)

17. Jan 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    yea. i'm not saying a holster is a bad thing. I just get a kick out of how marines say things. Like "poor weapons handling". I have mine in holsters too when i'm not in my truck or car.

18. Jan 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    ecupcar

ecupcar Well-Known Member

Member:
    20 miles south of nowhere
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma and 99 4Runner Limited
    Leer color match cap, prodigy break controller, Thule rack, window tint, bed mat and bug deflector
    Cool thread, was thinking about doing the same thing.

Less flaming would be nice though.

To each his own, I think this is a viable option versus sitting and leaning on a holstered pistol for any amount of time.

But definitely has its challenges with access/draw/etc... I would recommend practice drawing, unloaded of course.

19. Feb 16, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    robbie gatlin

robbie gatlin New Member

Member:
    what did you use to mount holster.

20. Feb 19, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

I used I think 4 of the 1" zip ty mounting bases:
    [​IMG]

you can find them at electronic stores or lowes/home depot. Then I ran a zip tie through the base to the holster in four places around where the belt would go through:

[​IMG]

Works like a charm.

I do have to change one of the mounting bases decided it did not like the cold after a couple of years. Otherwise cheap easy solution for me.

Oh and welcome to TW!

Products Discussed in

To Top