1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooking Elk!

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by sammy87, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Nov 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    My budy gave me some elk stakes. I was going to grill em up tonight. Just wondering if anyone has any recipes or tips to cook them? I know they can burn quickly due to the lack of fat.

2. Nov 19, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    TexasPreRunner

TexasPreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Antonio/Houston,TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    Iv always cooked them the way I cook my steaks since I like the gamey taste of elk. Best way is to salt and pepper them with a little olive oil and on to the grill and cook to medium rare! Enjoy

3. Nov 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    what part of the elk are your steaks from?..seriously makes a huge difference..just because it is a slab of meat, wont make it a steak..

backstrap? shoulder? or hind? i went to great lengths with ziploc bags and a sharpie marker to keep it all straight this year. my first elk..it was like elk roulette.

4. Nov 19, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    aficianado: glad to see your input on here. We need to see pics and get more info on this before supplying input....

5. Nov 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Can't wait to see pics...

6. Nov 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I have no clue where the meat came from. It was a gift for watching his dogs. I just used salt, pepper, olive oil, and a bit of garlic. They turned out pretty good, just a little dry. Part of the problem is that I live in an apt now and I have to use the "community" grills that suck. Either way They ended up being tasty, no fat, I didnt feel like I needed to take a nap after like I do with a lot of beef. Elk steak salad tomorrow night!

7. Nov 20, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    cool!

where did your buddy get the elk? what state?

8. Nov 20, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Colorado, He got it with a bow. He said it was about 700lb. Im new to the area, originally from PA and all we have is whitetail there. I was never a fan of venisian (sp). Elk on the other hand, is pretty tasty. A lot of restraunts here have elk and buffalo burgers. They are cool animals to see though, They've been in town a couple times now. Really pretty animals. Tasty too!

9. Nov 20, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    jkulysses

jkulysses Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma 4x4 3.4l 5 spd
    I like to coat them with flour and some salt and pepper then cook them in a skillet on medium heat or a little lower than medium and just cook them slowly flipping them quite a bit so they don't get over cooked.

Products Discussed in

To Top