Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Home defense

Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #21
You Know We Can't Do This All Day!!!
MTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud of

MTBerJim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
i'd also add, that one may be able to get their record "expunged" (depending on state laws, good behavior, the judge, etc.) - i know folks have been able to do that in ohio, and thus get their gun rights restored... i think it's a one-shot deal though, and you'd want to consult a lawyer about your situation...
I'm in my 50's now, I haven't had as much as a parking ticket in 10 years now, I'd say I've been reformed. (And pretty boring to boot) I'm going to stop by the police station on my way home tomorrow and confirm what you(s) guys are saying.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #22
wuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
wuzzy121's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBerJim View Post
Not sure a sword is going to be to affective in my 36" wide hallway.

Let's talk tazers shall we?
you cant have one that shoots, I forget if it is a stun gun or a tazer but the one that shoots has the same laws affecting it that guns do.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #23
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, it's a pretty dumb law. especially for cases like yours.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
if you end up not being able to get your record cleared or atleast until then the C2 tasers a good option

http://www.stungunmall.com/taser-c2.html
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #25
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

sidenote: even if you decide to get one and it's only used in a self defense situation, you will still go to jail. a guy i worked with was a convicted felon. he had a home invasion where the bad guys shot and killed his niece, he returned fire at the bad guys and he went to jail as well and now he's sitting in jail for 10 years even though it was to protect his family.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #26
Whatchu talkin bout willis?
Slinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to behold
Name: Spencer
Slinky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Slinky
A shotgun is good, make sure it has a short barrel, maybe a custom muzzle break, a flashlight (emergency situations), a stock that is extendable, and a pistol grip. make sure you teach people how to use it, because its critical if anything happens to you. Also for home defense, use bird shot. it has a consistent scatter and isn't as wide as buck shot. definitely DO NOT USE SLUGS for home defense, they will penetrate multiple walls before slowing down.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #27
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBerJim View Post
I'm in my 50's now, I haven't had as much as a parking ticket in 10 years now, I'd say I've been reformed. (And pretty boring to boot) I'm going to stop by the police station on my way home tomorrow and confirm what you(s) guys are saying.
...not sure how "knowledgeable" they will be (you'd be surprised the cops that don't know laws), but it's a federal prohibition... like i said, i don't know how restoration works in your state, but you may be eligible, ...i'd definitely consult a lawyer to see if you have an option - wouldn't happen overnight, but at least you "may" be able to get your rights back ...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #28
Slinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to behold
Slinky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
sidenote: even if you decide to get one and it's only used in a self defense situation, you will still go to jail. a guy i worked with was a convicted felon. he had a home invasion where the bad guys shot and killed his niece, he returned fire at the bad guys and he went to jail as well and now he's sitting in jail for 10 years even though it was to protect his family.
This might only happen in some states and situations, it's almost impossible (unless the jury is retarded) to go to prison for shooting someone INSIDE your house. BUT if they retreat and are running out of your door or jumping out of a window, you are by law not supposed to shoot, even when they are still in you house, (not in your lawn or in your driveway). If there were noticeable signs of a suspects retreat at a crime scene but you still shot, then there is a chance that you can be convicted.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #29
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky View Post
Also for home defense, use bird shot. it has a consistent scatter and isn't as wide as buck shot. definitely DO NOT USE SLUGS for home defense, they will penetrate multiple walls before slowing down.
...buck shot will too when you're dealing w/ a potentially dangerous threat, and you don't know the "intent", capabilities, and will to fight of the intruder, i don't know i'd want to count on birdshot, ...penetration is a good thing if it is two legged predators you're trying to stop...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #30
wuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel7234 View Post
if you end up not being able to get your record cleared or atleast until then the C2 tasers a good option

http://www.stungunmall.com/taser-c2.html
Thease have to be backround checked before they can be activated, so if you cant own a gun you cant own one of thease.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #31
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...not sure how "knowledgeable" they will be (you'd be surprised the cops that don't know laws), but it's a federal prohibition... like i said, i don't know how restoration works in your state, but you may be eligible, ...i'd definitely consult a lawyer to see if you have an option - wouldn't happen overnight, but at least you "may" be able to get your rights back ...
+1

It's a long shot, and a long process, and it is a one-shot.
If it's not done properly, it blows your chances forever.

Don't talk to the cops about it... they won't know. You need to talk to a GOOD attorney who handles gun-related cases exclusively.

It won't be cheap.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #32

talk to the NRA about a good lawyer for this kind of thing.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #33
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
.... you're a girl.... on tacoma world....
You're super damn observant.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #34

it's a gift.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #35
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Also for home defense, use bird shot. it has a consistent scatter and isn't as wide as buck shot. definitely DO NOT USE SLUGS for home defense, they will penetrate multiple walls before slowing down.
Wrong.

Birdshot is for birds.
Buckshot is for mammals in the 50+lb range.

Birdshot will not penetrate a leather or denim jacket except at point-blank... and by the time the bad guy is that close, you're already disarmed unless you are trained in weapons retention.
Quote:
This might only happen in some states and situations, it's almost impossible (unless the jury is retarded) to go to prison for shooting someone INSIDE your house. BUT if they retreat and are running out of your door or jumping out of a window, you are by law not supposed to shoot, even when they are still in you house, (not in your lawn or in your driveway). If there were noticeable signs of a suspects retreat at a crime scene but you still shot, then there is a chance that you can be convicted.
There is ALWAYS a chance that you will be convicted.
There is also a very good chance that the DA will decline to file charges.
If there are signs of forcible entry, the law presumes that you are reasonably in fear for your life or the life of another. This is codified in the PC as an "affirmative defense"
It's not a "get out of jail free" card, but it is something the court must take into consideration, and if everything else looks clean, charges are less likely.

What would be a "noticeable sign of retreat"? You shot the bogey in the back? What if you shot him in the back while he was heading toward your child's bedroom? Unless the guy was heading out the door or window, it would be difficult to prove that he was retreating, and in general, the DA is not going to try that hard, especially if your record is clean and the bogey is a known bad guy.

But in the case of the OP, we're talking about a "felon in possession" charge here... not just a "basic" self defense shooting.
He WILL be arrested, tried, and convicted, even if it is a "good shoot"
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #36
Slinky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...buck shot will too when you're dealing w/ a potentially dangerous threat, and you don't know the "intent", capabilities, and will to fight of the intruder, i don't know i'd want to count on birdshot, ...penetration is a good thing if it is two legged predators you're trying to stop...
depends on what kind of penetration, bird shot will stop a force, although looked down on, it is actually a reliable round for home defense.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #37

Quote:
it's a gift.
Doesn't matter.

It's a felony for him to walk into Cabelas and physically pick up a box of ammo.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Wrong.

Birdshot is for birds.

Birdshot will not penetrate a leather or denim jacket except at point-blank... and by the time the bad guy is that close, you're already disarmed unless you are trained in weapons retention.

There is ALWAYS a chance that you will be convicted.
There is also a very good chance that the DA will decline to file charges.
If there are signs of forcible entry, the law presumes that you are reasonably in fear for your life or the life of another. This is codified in the PC as an "affirmative defense"
It's not a "get out of jail free" card, but it is something the court must take into consideration, and if everything else looks clean, charges are less likely.

What would be a "noticeable sign of retreat"? You shot the bogey in the back? What if you shot him in the back while he was heading toward your child's bedroom? Unless the guy was heading out the door or window, it would be difficult to prove that he was retreating, and in general, the DA is not going to try that hard, especially if your record is clean and the bogey is a known bad guy.

But in the case of the OP, we're talking about a "felon in possession" charge here... not just a "basic" self defense shooting.
He WILL be arrested, tried, and convicted, even if it is a "good shoot"

go shoot a 2x4 with number 6 shot and you will change your mind.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #39

Quote:
go shoot a 2x4 with number 6 shot and you will change your mind.
No I won't. I've shot plenty of items with birdshot and I will trust my family to nothing less than 00 Buck or 9mm.

Dick Cheney shot a man with birdshot.

Using birdshot for home defense is stupid.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #40
Slinky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Wrong.

Birdshot is for birds.

We arent talking 100 ft...we are talking close quarters here, as in, the inside of your house. I'm not trying to defer any arguments because I like a game of debate but, it pretty much all out of opinion for which rounds you would keep in your shotgun.

And that it what I'm talking about.... a "noticeable sign of retreat" as in, a guy trying to run out of your front door with his body facing the door and muddy footprints facing the door and a buck or birdshot wound in his back...that's what I meant.