Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Home defense

Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #41
Whatchu talkin bout willis?
Slinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to behold
Name: Spencer
Slinky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Slinky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
No I won't. I've shot plenty of items with birdshot and I will trust my family to nothing less than 00 Buck or 9mm.

Dick Cheney shot a man with birdshot.

Using birdshot for home defense is stupid.
I honestly like your take on firepower! I just have a different take on birdshot than you, not trying to bash you or anything, just a friendly argument. Also, I personally have a snub nose .38 and 1911 that are currently for home def. (Not mine yet)
Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #42
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Either way, Jim needs to chat with a good attorney and get that conviction cleared up or he's stuck with a knife and pepper spray and this discussion is irrelevant.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #43
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky View Post
I honestly like your take on firepower! I just have a different take on birdshot than you, not trying to bash you or anything, just a friendly argument. Also, I personally have a snub nose .38 and 1911 that are currently for home def. (Not mine yet)
Ruger SP101, 158gr .357.

That's the nightstand gun.
Glock 26 is my carry when out in the desert on the dirtbike.
1911 is the "camp" gun.
Speer GD JHP+P for both of those.

Wife really likes her 92FS. She can't handle the kick from a .38, but she's an ace with the 92FS.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #44
You Know We Can't Do This All Day!!!
MTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud of

MTBerJim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
pepper spray
Good idea Rich!

At least it's something.

Thanks, Jim
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #45
Slinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to beholdSlinky is a splendid one to behold
Slinky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Either way, Jim needs to chat with a good attorney and get that conviction cleared up or he's stuck with a knife and pepper spray and this discussion is irrelevant.
Yea, It would be a terrible thing to deal with seeing as though I friggin LOVE firearms
Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #46
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Doesn't matter.

It's a felony for him to walk into Cabelas and physically pick up a box of ammo.
The its a gift comment was for me lol.

Quote:
We arent talking 100 ft...we are talking close quarters here, as in, the inside of your house. I'm not trying to defer any arguments because I like a game of debate but, it pretty much all out of opinion for which rounds you would keep in your shotgun.

And that it what I'm talking about.... a "noticeable sign of retreat" as in, a guy trying to run out of your front door with his body facing the door and muddy footprints facing the door and a buck or birdshot wound in his back...that's what I meant.
The original point was not that the guy was shooting someone someone, but that he was a felon in possession of a firearm.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #47
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
this might sound dumb, but look into pellet guns, from my understanding you can own weapon that doesnt use a propellant charge (like compressed air from a pellet gun). today's pellet guns can shoot over 1,000 fps. might not be idea, but i'd rather be pepper sprayed then shot by one of those damn things.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBerJim View Post
Good idea Rich!

At least it's something.

Thanks, Jim
Ya, it's better than nothing. I wouldn't want to take it to a gunfight, but it'll give you a chance to even the odds a bit.

Look into some basic martial arts training as well. Combining that with the disabling effect of pepper spray might give you a chance at disarming an intruder.
Not normally what you want to do, out "in the wild" you simply want to escape, but when you are home, there's no place to escape to, and when it comes to protecting the family, other options need to be explored.

Just remember... you can't defend your family if you are dead.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #49
You Know We Can't Do This All Day!!!
MTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud of

MTBerJim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
The original point was not that the guy was shooting someone someone, but that he was a felon in possession of a firearm.
Why ruin a good rant with fact?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #50
Slinky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ruger SP101, 158gr .357.

That's the nightstand gun.
Glock 26 is my carry when out in the desert on the dirtbike.
1911 is the "camp" gun.
Speer GD JHP+P for both of those.

Wife really likes her 92FS. She can't handle the kick from a .38, but she's an ace with the 92FS.

Wow! Nice! S&W model 37 i believe and a springfield armory 1911 and my dad has a 92FS and the same one but in a .40 S&W haha. Whats ur long arms like? and is it legal to carry out in the desert?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #51
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

Quote:
Why ruin a good rant with fact?
Attached Thumbnails
Home defense-simply-zesty-1.png  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #52
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Not having any real experience with guns, saying I'm a poor shot would be an understatement. I'm thinking shotgun is more point it in the general direction of the bad people and pull the trigger----no?

Yes Willie, felony conviction when I was in my 20's. NYS prefers felons don't have handguns, I can't say I disagree with it.
I can see the advantage of the biometric safe, $300 is a big chunk of change.

I was leaning toward the pistol grip type bc my house is pretty small and I have narrow doors ways and hallways. A long barrel shotgun w/ a full stock would be cumbersome in that situation----right?
We're past this point but I think that it needs to be stated that just because someone went out and paid money for a pistol gripped 500, 870, insert other pump action shot gun doesn't mean you can clear a room properly. It, imo, is asking for trouble and if they are armed it's asking to be shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
.... you're a girl.... on tacoma world....

Quote:
A shotgun is good, make sure it has a short barrel, maybe a custom muzzle break, a flashlight (emergency situations), a stock that is extendable, and a pistol grip. make sure you teach people how to use it, because its critical if anything happens to you. Also for home defense, use bird shot. it has a consistent scatter and isn't as wide as buck shot. definitely DO NOT USE SLUGS for home defense, they will penetrate multiple walls before slowing down.
I have to disagree with the bird shot's they won't penetrate and a meth head high as blazes searching for money to get more won't notice the bird shot to center mass, he may not feel buck shot but put some in his chest and he'll slow down very quickly. I agree with slug to the exception that I load one first in the fore-stock tube so that it is last to be chambered
Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Wow! Nice! S&W model 37 i believe and a springfield armory 1911 and my dad has a 92FS and the same one but in a .40 S&W haha. Whats ur long arms like? and is it legal to carry out in the desert?
Loaded open carry is legal in "unincorporated county areas where shooting is not otherwise prohibited."

Long arms, got a couple of AR's in 5.56... a 14.5 (pinned and welded to 16") and a 20" featureless, and a 16" AR22 with a CMMG dedicated upper.
The .22 is cheap fun, but it's picky on ammo... does not like Remington or Federal unjacketed. It likes Winchester 555.

Got a few other handguns, but those are the "go-to" guns... though ALL of my magazines are loaded (even though I haven't shot my XD9 Service in 3 years).
Mom gave me a nice Colt 1903 a few months ago. Serial number traces to 1917, grandpa bought it after WWI.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #55
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
this might sound dumb, but look into pellet guns, from my understanding you can own weapon that doesnt use a propellant charge (like compressed air from a pellet gun). today's pellet guns can shoot over 1,000 fps. might not be idea, but i'd rather be pepper sprayed then shot by one of those damn things.
I'll take the pellet.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #56
Slinky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
I have to disagree with the bird shot's they won't penetrate and a meth head high as blazes searching for money to get more won't notice the bird shot to center mass, he may not feel buck shot but put some in his chest and he'll slow down very quickly. I agree with slug to the exception that I load one first in the fore-stock tube so that it is last to be chambered
if a heart stops, it stops, doesnt matter about drugs, sure it will be painless but meth is not angel dust... the thing you're thinking of is angel dust or PCP...it gives people unhuman-like abilities and the only rounds I would trust to stop one of those f-ers is a .45acp or .357 mag...
Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #57
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
I've read up on a lot of CCW sites and they all mention that you don't carry with practice/target rounds in your handgun. The reason being if you feel it necessary to shoot someone, you're supposed to be shooting with the intent to end an immediate threat. There have been rare cases where loser DB have won cases against the person protecting themselves under the premise that "you knew it was unlikely to kill/take down them with the practice rounds, so you were purposely using that specific ammo to torture them." In reality, it will probably never happen to you. But anyways, if the firearm is being used for home defense, you should be using the proper ammo for home defense as well.. And that would be buckshot.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #58

that's ironic because of stuff like geneva convention. when it comes to war, you are not allowed to use anything except FMJ's on people
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #59
Will The Thrill

Quote:
I've read up on a lot of CCW sites and they all mention that you don't carry with practice/target rounds in your handgun. The reason being if you feel it necessary to shoot someone, you're supposed to be shooting with the intent to kill, not injure. There have been rare cases where loser DB have won cases against the person protecting themselves under the premise that "you knew it was unlikely to kill/take down them with the practice rounds, so you were purposely using that specific ammo to torture them." In reality, it will probably never happen to you. But anyways, if the firearm is being used for home defense, you should be using the proper ammo for home defense as well.. And that would be buckshot.
Not to mention the training that goes along with that as well. You can't practice with one round and carry another. They feel different when shot.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #60
Slinky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've read up on a lot of CCW sites and they all mention that you don't carry with practice/target rounds in your handgun. The reason being if you feel it necessary to shoot someone, you're supposed to be shooting with the intent to kill, not injure. There have been rare cases where loser DB have won cases against the person protecting themselves under the premise that "you knew it was unlikely to kill/take down them with the practice rounds, so you were purposely using that specific ammo to torture them." In reality, it will probably never happen to you. But anyways, if the firearm is being used for home defense, you should be using the proper ammo for home defense as well.. And that would be buckshot.
MAH BAD! haha just kidding but you present a valid point i think this argument is pretty much settled....buy a gun with a 3 round tube (if it exists) and put 1 buck, 1 slug and 1 bird and see which one kills the intruder first... haha just joking yet again but yea it up to you with your opinion... I think its better safe than sorry so maybe i should try buck shot out...not that I'm planning on having any break ins happening to my house or anything..