Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Home defense

Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #81
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badphish14 View Post
Yeah I really don't know. I'm trying to remember what I was told.
Research it for yourself in the penal code.

The worst sources of information on gun laws... in no particular order, they're all pretty much equal:

Cops
The guy at the gun shop
The customer at the gun shop
A "gun nut" friend
A "gun nut" that a friend knows
With a few exceptions - Internet forums.

There are some good forums out there, but even excellent sites like Calguns, don't take it at face value. Listen to the guy who explains the law, and provides you with the section in the penal code covering it.

Also remember, that which is not forbidden is permitted. The penal code does not cover what is legal, unless it is an exception to something that is illegal, Example: High cap magazines are illegal UNLESS they were acquired prior to the ban.

Pistol grips, flash hiders, telescoping and folding buttstocks... they may all be mentioned in the code, BUT check the context. If the context indicates "semi automatic", then pump, bolt, and lever action firearms are not covered by the section.

Even here in Commiefornia, anything goes on pump/bolt/lever unless it's an SBR/SBS/AOW, or prohibited ammo such as tracers or other incendiary.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #82
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
Get an inexpensive Mossburg 12 ga. pump. It will do the job just fine. You don't need a fancy Remington or Browning for what you are using it for. The racking of the slide will be enough to scare off most intruders.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #83
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Talking these are great

for inside or outside.....

http://www.amazon.com/532nm-Astronom...+laser+pointer

plenty of range, no need to get close to someone and you can use them through a window so you don't have to go outside..........but remember.....NEVER, repeat NEVER shine them directly into the bad guys face or eyes!!!!!
Old 11-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #84
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
for inside or outside.....

http://www.amazon.com/532nm-Astronom...+laser+pointer

plenty of range, no need to get close to someone and you can use them through a window so you don't have to go outside..........but remember.....NEVER, repeat NEVER shine them directly into the bad guys face or eyes!!!!!
Like bear spray... this is also a felony in California.

We had an incident in my city a few years ago. Some kids were driving around in the evening and shining red lasers at people.
One of the kids got shot.
The shooter was not charged, he believed that his life was in danger.
The other 3 kids were charged with felonies.

I wasn't the shooter, but these kids had "painted" me as I was exiting a small business park to the parking lot.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #85
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Like bear spray... this is also a felony in California.

We had an incident in my city a few years ago. Some kids were driving around in the evening and shining red lasers at people.
One of the kids got shot.
The shooter was not charged, he believed that his life was in danger.
The other 3 kids were charged with felonies.

I wasn't the shooter, but these kids had "painted" me as I was exiting a small business park to the parking lot.
If I need to protect myself and/or my family in or outside of my house, and I don't have a firearm, I'll use whatever works.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
If I need to protect myself and/or my family in or outside of my house, and I don't have a firearm, I'll use whatever works.
How is a laser pointer going to protect you?

Same reason I don't have lasers on my guns... it is a very effective "shoot here" pointer. It reveals your exact position. A bright flashlight causes some dazzling, and if held high and to the weak side, does not reveal your exact position and can be disorienting.

Like "the sound of a shotgun being racked".... it's not going to scare anyone away, it's going to give them a heads up that they need to shoot first.
It is just as bad as yelling "I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it!"
That warning indicates that you ARE afraid to use it.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #87
hillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tommy
hillbilly taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knayrb View Post
Get an inexpensive Mossburg 12 ga. pump. It will do the job just fine. You don't need a fancy Remington or Browning for what you are using it for. The racking of the slide will be enough to scare off most intruders.
x2 old savage 12g double barrell.Just point and shoot!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #88
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Jack Russel Terrier = my house alarm system (regardless of if the actual alarm is/isn't set)
Smith and Wesson sigma .40 cal pistol = the dis-abler
Mossberg 500 12 gauge w/ pistol grip and short barrel = the end of the line
Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #89
diesel30 is on a distinguished road

diesel30's Tacoma Gallery
first I have one of these. he's 3 1/2 years old and weighs in @ 105 lbs and is cage free 24/7 inside the house.

then my second option is this in .45 compact variant.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #90
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
If you are not VERY familiar with firearms seek out some professional training before deciding on your choice. In a highly stressed situation unless you are very competent with your firearm and practiced, you might just shoot a friendly, not the foe. Over penetration can be a real problem with interior hollow walls.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #91
GWinstead is on a distinguished road
Army:
GWinstead's Tacoma Gallery
OP: I'm a VietNam combat veteran. Multiple gun owner. i spend many days hunting, many hours at the range, shooting for fun. I have a concealed carry permit (Never do carry; that would say I go through life frightened and I do not- makes it easier for me to buy a new sporting arm if I wish). All that said, all my firearms are locked safe away, ammo separate.

Wanna be safe? Flood lights around your home (generator for elect. backup). Better locks and doors that can take a beating. An intercom and peephole at the door. Pepper spray near the door. Panic button for your alarm system. You really don't sound like a guy, judging from your first post, that really wants to shoot it out with anyone. I commend you for that.

I have my doubts about the many posters here encouraging you to arm yourself. Real world/real situation practice that would do these guys any good? At the range, at night, a .45, having had a doctor give them a shot of synthetic adreniline beforehand. Having the target rushing towards them. Get back to me with the results.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #92
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
small dogs make better early warning pets. if the drug cartels ever get away from the pitbull image and get chihuahuas..man, cops will need to rethink their entry plans.

i like a shotgun for my home defense. my wife can shoot it. i am gonna buy a tactical (hate that word) shotgun. a double barrel! mostly for fun. i also have 9mm and 45's at the ready. my wife is a fantastic shooter with the sig226. almost scary good.