Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Home defense

Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
You Know We Can't Do This All Day!!!
MTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud of

MTBerJim's Tacoma Gallery
Home defense

I have to admit, I'm hesitant---almost embarrassed to ask this question and start this thread, but here goes.

During the days/weeks following Sandy much of my block was without power and I did see quite a few "people" walking around late at night wearing dark clothing, heard reports of looting, etc,etc.

The last straw was this past Saturday night around 11:30 pm, a girl knocked on our door and I saw her looking in the front window when I got into the living room. I've heard stories of people knocking on the front door as others are breaking in through the back door.
She wanted to use the phone.

I have 2 dogs, one is a small dog that barks at ANYTHING, so early warning isn't an issue, the other dog is a Border Collie mix, she's about 60lbs and a mush, but she's big enough to be intimidating.

I have to be honest, wasn't raised around guns and have only shot a .22 on a couple of occasions. I obviously don't own a gun, but I am now reconsidering that.
I'm the product of a mis-spent youth so by NYS law owning a hand gun isn't an option for me. I was thinking about something like a pistol grip shotgun, but I'm open to ideas.

Secondly if I do get a firearm, how would I keep it accessible AND secure at the same time? We have a 4yo Grand daughter that visits and stays over on the weekends.

I'm looking for some opinions so let's hear it,

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
hangun is not an option for you?...

if just a long gun, i'd suppose a basic pump action like a remington 870, or similar, would be good... a "quick access" safe would be good to store it in if you must keep it under wraps, ...but when the kid gets a little older, teach her about gun safety

example quick access safe for long gun: http://www.barska.com/Biometric_Safe...by_Barska.html

BTW, as a caveat, i have no idea what your local "laws/restrictions" are where you live, ...NY is known to be hostile to the law abiding in this sense... hope the recovery from the hurricane starts speeding up for you all!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
you can get a tacti-cool shotgun for cheap.

Or buy a rem 870 and make it your own "closet gun"
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
i like pistols myself, but if you get a pump shotgun, i about guarantee you'll never have to shoot it. the second someone hears the pump, they're out!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Man I haven't been on here for a long time *blows dust off keyboard*

I would recommend either a Remington 870, as mentioned above, or a Mossberg 500, specifically the "Persuader" Model. Either one in 12 gauge. Both are "cheap", simple, reliable defense shotguns. If you can't get a pistol, this is the route I would go. You can buy pistol grips for them (not sure of stupid guns laws in NYC) that shorten them and make it more maneuverable. Check out these websites:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...Low&catid=1707

http://www.impactguns.com/shotguns.a...liber=12+Gauge
Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
The way is open, the time is now
Mrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Mrogers33's Tacoma Gallery
Something bigger than a pistol is hard to secure while having quick access, ie. late night home invasion or something. I think most on here would agree that gun safety knowledge is the biggest deterrent to firearm misuse. Obviously 4yo is too young to start shooting, but i took hunter education courses as a youngster, received small rifles or shotguns as birthday and x-mas presents, and my grandfather taught me to shoot a BB gun. I have never had an accidental discharge, and always treat a weapon as if loaded (never pointing at something you don't wanna shoot). Even with a gun case bolted to the floor, if a thief wants it bad enough he will take it. If your only concern is the grandkids, maybe look into a small fire-proof safe that would fit under your nightstand. There are even little safes that unlock I think with the swipe of your finger or handprint, but those are largely for handguns I think? Maybe look into an easily accessible safe and then teach the kids to plink cans later on. I think teaching the knowledge correctly helps ease any fears while also getting rid of any curiosities (like kids stealing a gun cause they were always told No). Just my personal experiences.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
def get a short barrel shotgun, either a remington 870, or mossberg 500. There by far the most popular pump shotguns in the world. And the aftermarket accessories reflect that. If budget is a problem you can get a Maverick 88 at walmart for $180 +/-, its the exact same thing as a mossberg 500, with a few small changes, still a great shotgun. Dont feel embarrassed, plenty of people are new to guns and there great tools that need to be respected. As far as keeping it accessible with children around theres no real perfect answer, theres always a give and take with being secured from children with being immediately accessible. I have a 4 year old son, I mount my Maverick 88 with a fold up stock and light high up on the wall with nothing near it on the wall for him to be able to climb. however thats about to change as hes getting more creative and curious.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
MTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies. Not having any real experience with guns, saying I'm a poor shot would be an understatement. I'm thinking shotgun is more point it in the general direction of the bad people and pull the trigger----no?

Yes Willie, felony conviction when I was in my 20's. NYS prefers felons don't have handguns, I can't say I disagree with it.
I can see the advantage of the biometric safe, $300 is a big chunk of change.

I was leaning toward the pistol grip type bc my house is pretty small and I have narrow doors ways and hallways. A long barrel shotgun w/ a full stock would be cumbersome in that situation----right?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

doesnt that mean you cant have a firearm in your home?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
doesnt that mean you cant have a firearm in your home?
I'm going to have to look into it more, but my understanding is handguns---not long guns.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #11

i'm 99% sure it is all firearms.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #12

A synthesis of a series of federal precedents establishes the following points which must be addressed to determine if a client is in violation of the federal statute prohibiting convicted felons from possessing firearms.
1. Federal law generally makes it a felony for a person to be in possession of a firearm if the person has any prior felony conviction.
2. Federal law contains an explicit statutory exception which provides that the federal criminal offense of firearms possession is inapplicable to persons who have had their civil rights restored on the predicate state felony conviction.(4)
3. Whether a person has had his or her civil rights restored for a state conviction is determined by state and NOT federal law.
4. However, (this "however" is the first of two elusive parts of the analysis) federal law requires that for federal law to recognize the state restoration of rights, the state restoration must include the right to vote, the right to seek and hold public office, and the right to serve on a jury. (5)
5. If the state restoration of rights includes the three aforementioned rights the federal law contains an additional federal "unless" clause which looks to state law to see if the state imposes any restriction on the right of the convicted felon to possess a weapon (e.g., some states such as North Carolina prohibit the subsequent possession of a handgun but would allow the individual to possess a rifle or shotgun).
6. If there is some added firearms restriction under state law then (and here is the second elusive part of the analysis) the federal "unless" clause is triggered to make the possession of any firearms unlawful under federal law notwithstanding the state's restoration of civil rights. Thus, if the state says that a restored-rights felon may possess a shotgun but not a pistol, the state has allowed the felon to possess the shotgun under state law BUT, because the state has created some firearm restriction for a convicted felon, this means that the federal prohibition applies with full force notwithstanding a state restoration of rights. Thus, in the shotgun-pistol example, that person could be convicted under federal law for possession of the shotgun even though it would be perfectly lawful under state law.(6)
Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
federal firearm prohibitions apply to all firearms, not just handguns... i think there "may" be an exception for certain blackpowder guns, by IANAL, etc... OP may want to consider other options - bladed weapons, swords, etc?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #14

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i'd also add, that one may be able to get their record "expunged" (depending on state laws, good behavior, the judge, etc.) - i know folks have been able to do that in ohio, and thus get their gun rights restored... i think it's a one-shot deal though, and you'd want to consult a lawyer about your situation...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
I have the mossberg 500 persuader. I would like to have a handgun as well for home defense, but it's not doable now. Maneuverability is a common point people make with pros/cons of using shotguns for home defense. At the same time, the average person has a better chance of hitting someone with a shotgun vs. handgun. Also someone mentioned, a burglar will definitely hear that pump!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #16

Change of plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
federal firearm prohibitions apply to all firearms, not just handguns... i think there "may" be an exception for certain blackpowder guns, by IANAL, etc... OP may want to consider other options - bladed weapons, swords, etc?
Not sure a sword is going to be to affective in my 36" wide hallway.

Let's talk tazers shall we?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I have the mossberg 500 persuader. I would like to have a handgun as well for home defense, but it's not doable now. Maneuverability is a common point people make with pros/cons of using shotguns for home defense. At the same time, the average person has a better chance of hitting someone with a shotgun vs. handgun. Also someone mentioned, a burglar will definitely hear that pump!
.... you're a girl.... on tacoma world....
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
wilki is on a distinguished road
wilki's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry but federal says no firearms for felons. If I was in your place I would check with a lawyer in the state that you were convicted in to see if you can have your rights restored. Otherwise being found in possession of any firearm or ammo is a federal felony. I am seeing US attorney passing out convictions much more now. Its a easy case to win as all they have to do is prove you had it and that you were aware that you were convicted of the original felony. Helps their batting average if you know what i mean.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #19
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBerJim View Post
I'm going to have to look into it more, but my understanding is handguns---not long guns.
Federal law... convicted felon = no firearms or ammo even in your possession. Lifetime prohibition. You can't even TOUCH a single bullet or be in a position where you are able to access a firearm (in a friend's house where he has guns not in a safe).

Only way around it is if the offense was a "wobbler" (could be charged as a misdemeanor or felony). In that case, a good attorney may be able to have the conviction reduced to a non-prohibiting misdemeanor, and then have it expunged.

Convicted domestic violence, felony OR misdemeanor thanks to Senator Lautenberg.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
wuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
wuzzy121's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBerJim View Post
Look up the suprem court rullings, I know there is one in there about a gun for home defence for those who cant have one.
As for a shot gun, I have a mossberg 500 home defence modle. It has a 18" short barrle, pistol grip, and ajustible but stock.