Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Thoughts on SKS Rifles?

View Poll Results: Buy them or leave them
Buy 54 62.79%
Leave 32 37.21%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #21
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Good Deal! You and your father should enjoy the new rifles.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #22
4 Year Starter
BREW is on a distinguished road
BREW's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely get one. They are deadly accurate and shoot whether clean or dirty. I love mine. Yugo with collapsable syth. stock,(flat dark earth).
Old 01-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #24
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
i don't really like mine, it was an impulse buy the day i turned 18. paid 140 for it with a 30 rd plastic clip. IMO the 30 rd clip is more bother than worth since you have to use stripper clips to load it and its not removable.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #25
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
I would get a cheytac m-200
Old 01-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #26
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't walk away, I'd run. Used to be able to get those for $75. I think they are a fine rifle though. I'd rather have an SKS than an AK47.

BTW, how much ammo? That might sweeten the deal.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #27
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Well its a done deal now, I had fun shooting them, straight as an arrow. The clip is not plastic, so said its the good one, at least that's what was said on a forum about them. They threw in about 300rds, or should I say that's about whats left after testing them out.

How could I tell which version this is, Chinese or Russian?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #29
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Well its a done deal now, I had fun shooting them, straight as an arrow. The clip is not plastic, so said its the good one, at least that's what was said on a forum about them. They threw in about 300rds, or should I say that's about whats left after testing them out.

I could be mistaken but I think the bayonet mount is cut off the chinese models.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #31
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Bill Brasky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

look on the receiver directly above the trigger assembly and see what it says. Look all over the receiver for any Chinese writing. FWIW- they look Chinese from here. EDIT: then again, the location of the rear sling mount is throwing me. I'm not sure just looking at the pic.

BTW- I have a Chinese with a bayonet lug, so I don't think that makes any difference...that I know of.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:34 AM   #33
I smell corn
kilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gophuk Yousef
kilted1117's Tacoma Gallery
Norinco
Old 01-31-2009, 02:09 PM   #34
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 Yugos I paid $100 each for.

1 is totally stock with the bayonette & grenade launcher.

The other I redid with a folding stock & 20rd clip

They're a blast to shoot!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #35
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned 5 of the SKS (Yugo) and that I payed $90 a piece for and sold all but one for 200 a piece. The guns are heavy and very easy to shoot because of the weight. There are a lot of new stocks for them to make them look a lot better. You cannot go wrong with a SKS for the money.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #37
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Norincos and Russian models.
Not a big fan of the detatchable mags, I know there is one type that is pretty reliable but I prefer the stock 10 round setup.
Loading off of stripper clips is fast.
Great shooters and no they are not an AR but for 1/4 the price they are a solid reliable rifle.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #38
jdmbooger is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmbooger is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmbooger is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmbooger is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmbooger is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmbooger is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmbooger is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmbooger is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmbooger is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmbooger is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmbooger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdmbooger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can honestly say that I have enjoyed this gun on every outing I have taken it out on. Very accurate!
Good for you man!
I like my SKS, with a little time and money they can be kinda cool!

When I got it:

As it sits now:

However...... I like my AR-15 better!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #39
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can honestly say that I have enjoyed this gun on every outing I have taken it out on. Very accurate!
I musta gotten one of the bent pigs... it was all over the place. Not worth the $120 I paid for it, in 96, and I wasted money putting a fiberforce Dragunov stock and scope on it. From then on I just went with Winchester 94s.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #40
Black Rock Taco is on a distinguished road
Army: Nat'l guard medic and supply sgt.
Black Rock Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Love my SKS

I got my Chinese SKS back around 1990. Kept it in the orig. cardboard box in my toolbox doing exploration geology work in northern NV for a few years. Very dusty conditions, miles of that thing banging around in the toolbox (so much the cardboard wore the bluing off in a "cardboard" pattern on the receiver cover) and NEVER failed to fire. One damn reliable weapon. Go take a look inside an FN FAL. Sure looks a lot like a SKS.