New gun FTE

Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #81
Roll Tide Roll
mash25 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
mash25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
rhetorical question: why does it have to be that so many "AR" discussions/threads (on most all forums) end up being johnson measuring contests amongst "brand x" vs. "brand y" vs. "brand z", etc?... the OP is just looking for advice on fixing a problem/defect, no need to denegrate his rifle w/out even handling it... hopefully he can replace the bolt under warranty and his rifle w/ work great for him... can't we not provide "AR" help to new owners w/out going on a tangent on "brand" wars?...
Very well put...thank you Wiley
Old 11-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #82
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
DPMS is a mil-spec gun. You can get an aftermarket "better" bolt that should solve the problem.
Agreed that some of us are "brand" snobs, and some people say it better than others. This is a public forum and everyone is entitled there opinion. Keep that in mind when bashing the posters for theirs.
There is a reason we are brand snobs, some of us have been in situations where if your weapon fails....so do you, not all but some of us. Just sayin.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #83
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash25 View Post
And you drive a prerunner...guess we're even
And it works.

I didn't read through the whole thread but if you do as suggested before and upgrade your extractor, spring and install a black O ring from bravo company your gun should run fine for your needs. Good luck man
Old 11-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #84
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #85
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
And it works.

I didn't read through the whole thread but if you do as suggested before and upgrade your extractor, spring and install a black O ring from bravo company your gun should run fine for your needs. Good luck man
well... it's his ejector that's the problem

is the hole for the roll pin oversized? did they install it wrong? IDK

best plan is contact DPMS and get a new bolt then go from there
Old 11-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #86
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
well... it's his ejector that's the problem

is the hole for the roll pin oversized? did they install it wrong? IDK

best plan is contact DPMS and get a new bolt then go from there
Ejector =extractor
same thing...
Old 11-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #87
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ejector =extractor
same thing...
Sorry.. but that is inaccurate.

The ejector is the little pin that actually pushes the cartridge out of the rifle. The extractor is the hook that pulls the cartridge out of the chamber...
Old 11-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #88
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ejector =extractor
same thing...
Nope.

Extractor is the clip on the side of the bolt that grabs the rim of the casing and pulls it out of the chamber.

The Ejector is the pin that pops out of the bolt face when the bolt reaches the back of it's travel and kicks the casing out the port.

Quote:

4: roll pin
5: ejector spring
6: ejector
7: extractor

8: extractor spring

There are other long springs, but given the circumstances I'd say that's more than likely the ejector spring.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevAdam View Post
Sorry.. but that is inaccurate.

The ejector is the little pin that actually pushes the cartridge out of the rifle. The extractor is the hook that pulls the cartridge out of the chamber...
Oops. Thanks for the correction
Old 11-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #91
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
the thing that gets me, is why is there a protrusion ontop of the extractor?

Its obviously not a 8th lug, since it doesnt mate with a corresponding barrel lug.

The extractor would probably work better without the fake lug on the back side of it too.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #92
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
stiffen the machined part?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:43 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
Noob
lol I totally forgot about that little pin
Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #94
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
stiffen the machined part?
Likely.

There's a fair amount of stress on that lip.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #95
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
the thing that gets me, is why is there a protrusion ontop of the extractor?

Its obviously not a 8th lug, since it doesnt mate with a corresponding barrel lug.

The extractor would probably work better without the fake lug on the back side of it too.
...my guess is it is what contacts the dust cover, ...flipping it open when you pull the bolt (charging handle back)...
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #96

Quote:
...my guess is it is what contacts the dust cover, ...flipping it open when you pull the bolt (charging handle back)...
That's the "dent" in the side of the carrier where the gas vent holes are.

Chamber a dummy and look in the center of the port.
The carrier has a "divot".
Close the dust cover. Pull the charging handle back 1/2" and the port pops open.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #97
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
That's the "dent" in the side of the carrier where the gas vent holes are.

Chamber a dummy and look in the center of the port.
The carrier has a "divot".
Close the dust cover. Pull the charging handle back 1/2" and the port pops open.
ah, i see said the blind man ... that's what i get for being too lazy to go look for myself... can't remember if i read or heard this somewhere (history channel maybe?) but that recess on the carrier may have a dual purpose, ...as a "natural" forward assist of sorts, as eugene stoner had originally intended...
Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #98

Quote:
ah, i see said the blind man ... that's what i get for being too lazy to go look for myself... can't remember if i read or heard this somewhere (history channel maybe?) but that recess on the carrier may have a dual purpose, ...as a "natural" forward assist of sorts, as eugene stoner had originally intended...
It would be easy enough to say that if you need the FA, then you need to rechamber, but there is one practical purpose for the FA, both for hunting and combat, is that it does allow you to quietly chamber the first round, or to ensure being fully chambered after a press check.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #99

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
It would be easy enough to say that if you need the FA, then you need to rechamber, but there is one practical purpose for the FA, both for hunting and combat, is that it does allow you to quietly chamber the first round, or to ensure being fully chambered after a press check.
yes, more so for the latter... from what i understand stoner didn't like the idea of a fwd assist spur, ...it was the military that wanted it on there... otherwise the recess in the bolt carrier could serve as the means to assure the bolt is in battery by pressing it toward the chamber using a thumb or index finger...
Old 12-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #100
Roll Tide Roll
mash25 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
mash25's Tacoma Gallery
Update to original post...the issue has been resolved and my gun is back slinging ammo down range...dpms sent me a complete rebuild kit and I rebuilt the bolt and now she's good as new...and I also ordered a spare bolt just in case...thanks for everyones help with the problem I had...