Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Whos Got A 30-30 Or Similar???

Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
alexretama is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
alexretama's Tacoma Gallery
Whos Got A 30-30 Or Similar???

I've decided my next firearm is going to be a lever action! I've been looking at the Marlins but I just dont know much about them yet. Insight, suggestions, pics of your own.. Its all good!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
Marlin over Winchester for me. I rather have the side eject (marlin) over the top eject (Winchester).

Shot my first deer with a 30-30.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
rjp4419 will become famous soon enough
Army:
rjp4419's Tacoma Gallery
I have an old hand down winchester 94 and I love it
Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with the Marlin over Winchester for the same reason. I have an older Marlin 35 that was my Granfathers awesome gun fun and easy shooting.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Savage Model 99 in 300 savage. The most beautiful lever gun ever made IMO.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be out on Monday (our first day of rifle season) with a Marlin 30-30. Same gun I shot my first deer with too. Reliable. Caution must be taken when setting the safety considering you basically have to pull the trigger while your thumb is on the hammer and then let it down slowly.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
I agree with the Marlin over Winchester for the same reason. I have an older Marlin 35 that was my Granfathers awesome gun fun and easy shooting.
I have had this same gun for forever now. Short magazine tube and oiled black walnut stocks. Shoot your eye out at 100 yards standing up with open sites. Stronger receiver as well as side eject. Just a damn fine rifle. I prefer a 35 over the 30-30 for heavy brush type woods.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphex View Post
I'll be out on Monday (our first day of rifle season) with a Marlin 30-30. Same gun I shot my first deer with too. Reliable. Caution must be taken when setting the safety considering you basically have to pull the trigger while your thumb is on the hammer and then let it down slowly.
Its Pretty sketchy when you first learn to do that. I've seen several guys let the hammer slip....BOOM!!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
Its Pretty sketchy when you first learn to do that. I've seen several guys let the hammer slip....BOOM!!!!
I always just felt a little weird being that it just goes against like every instinct as a long time gun owner to pull that trigger when you really don't want to fire. You do get used to it though.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY

Might just pull out the 30-30 this afternoon and look for some deer.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
762NateOh is on a distinguished road
Name: Nate
762NateOh's Tacoma Gallery
Not a 30-30, but I just picked up a Marlin 1894C in .357/.38. Awesome shooting gun. Shoots like a .22mag with .38's.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
Mr sneed
08PreTac is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
08PreTac's Tacoma Gallery
30-30 is the hunting rifle every survival man should have, you just cant beat the thing, mine is a pass down family gun and still fires like its brand new, the round is so damn heavy it dont matter if your off with your shot a lil, its gonna drop! my 30-30 is PRICELESS!! and yes i have the marlin, heres a FEW of my bang sticks
Attached Thumbnails
Whos Got A 30-30 Or Similar???-dscn0601.jpg  
Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
get an SKS, yeah it might look like an assault rifle, but it has almost the exact same ballistics as a 30-30. but i have taken a doe at 350yds with it (dumb luck)
Old 11-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08PreTac View Post
30-30 is the hunting rifle every survival man should have, you just cant beat the thing, mine is a pass down family gun and still fires like its brand new, the round is so damn heavy it dont matter if your off with your shot a lil, its gonna drop! my 30-30 is PRICELESS!! and yes i have the marlin, heres a FEW of my bang sticks
mossberg 535?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
Mr sneed
08PreTac is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
08PreTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
mossberg 535?

no berg 500 and berg model 200
Old 11-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexretama View Post
I've decided my next firearm is going to be a lever action! I've been looking at the Marlins but I just dont know much about them yet. Insight, suggestions, pics of your own.. Its all good!
I have this same rifle. No regrets.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosiveTendency View Post

Now your talking!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
Me mber
chris5255 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
chris5255's Tacoma Gallery
My first hunting rifle when I was 16 was a Browning BLR lever action 308. I now have a Marlin 30 30 as well and I love it.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
JHart94949 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: CG Station Vallejo
Name: Joe
JHart94949's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosiveTendency View Post
Love my Savage!! I also have a marlin, and a Winchester, all good guns and have served me well. I think a lever action in any model/brand will be fun and will serve as a great brush gun but it really depends on what you want to use it for. My favorite hunting rig is my Ruger M77 35 Whelen. But for the last 3 years I have been hunting with my Bow only, something about sneaking up and shooting an animal with an arrow get my blood flowing!!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
Marlin over Winchester for me. I rather have the side eject (marlin) over the top eject (Winchester).

Shot my first deer with a 30-30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjp4419 View Post
I have an old hand down winchester 94 and I love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
My 85 year old Winchester has the top eject but the new ones have side eject so can be scope mounted.