Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Looking for a shotgun scope recommendations

Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
Question Looking for a shotgun scope recommendations

Having just picked up a Remington 870 in 20 gauge the scope that came with it doesn't have nearly enough eye relief for me to shoot comfortably. That being said, I'd like to find something variable, 1-4 or 3-7, for longer range deer hunting.

Any ideas or recommendations?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Deer hunting with a shotgun? I didn't know people did this.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by la0d0g View Post
Several states don't allow rifle hunting, shotgun or muzzle loaders only. OP, I would stay in the 1-4x range myself, maybe even a red-dot optic of some sort.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Several states don't allow rifle hunting, shotgun or muzzle loaders only. OP, I would stay in the 1-4x range myself, maybe even a red-dot optic of some sort.
Didn't know that, thanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Come to MA, that's all they let us hunt deer with
Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I have a rifled slug barrel with open sights for my 12ga Winchester. I like it. Might be worth looking into one.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Jake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Levi
Jake7's Tacoma Gallery
If you can hunt in your state with a reflex sight, I would check out Vortex optics. They make a nice reflex sight and you can get a 3 power adapter for it. I would think that would be a great setup for a shotgun, plus its got a pretty long eye relief, so it might be more comfortable for you.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yeah, Illinois is shotgun or muzzle-loader only. They seem to think the entire state (vs. county) is over-populated...either that or some people are to dumb to pull the trigger in a safe direction. IDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp1 View Post
I have a rifled slug barrel with open sights for my 12ga Winchester. I like it. Might be worth looking into one.
Well, mine came with the smoothbore and rifled slug barrel but it has the cantilever on it for scope mount...last time I looked at barrel prices before I bought the cost was a bit more than I'd like to spend to have another barrel lying around the gun room..
Old 11-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Nikon Monarch 1.5-4 x 20mm mounted on my Winchester 94 rifle and love it. It is one of the long eye relief, shotgun style scopes.

Very clear optics for the $200 I paid some years back.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
what's considered long range for a 20 gauge shotgun shooting a slug?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
I have the Nikon Monarch 1.5-4 x 20mm mounted on my Winchester 94 rifle and love it. It is one of the long eye relief, shotgun style scopes.

Very clear optics for the $200 I paid some years back.
The old Nikon Monarch line was awesome value in optics, some of the newer stuff looks a tad cheesy to me. OP, to me this is the perfect slug gun sight.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
Space For Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
what's considered long range for a 20 gauge shotgun shooting a slug?
Right now, with slug gun, I put my limit at 60yards...would rather kill shot than give one a long slow death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
The old Nikon Monarch line was awesome value in optics, some of the newer stuff looks a tad cheesy to me. OP, to me this is the perfect slug gun sight.
I'll check it out, thanks.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Sideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really nice

Sideways's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Nikon Buckmaster on my 1187!
I like!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
A good red dot is all you need.
The aimpoint comp M2 is on sale here.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...p-mount-12611/

Your not going to plug any deer past 100 yrds with a shotgun. I have the Comp M4 on my AR and love it. If I hunted deer with a shotgun I would put this on it.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 870 with a Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 scope on it(#6720). I use it as my hog gun on some public land where it's shotgun only. My gun has the 18 inch smooth bore and I still get impressive groups up to 100 yards. For where I hunt, 100 yrds is rare. I paid around $100 for it.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You never heard of Buckshot?