Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Got my first deer!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
BuffaloScout is on a distinguished road

Army: 7th div 3/17 Infantry Scout
BuffaloScout's Tacoma Gallery
Got my first deer!

Yep, 40 yr old non hunter here. Drove home from work yesterday and found a dead doe right next to my front door step. (I have undeveloped city property in my backyard which is a haven for turkey and deer.) No pics but it was about 2yrs old and I got about 30 pounds of meat of it. Getting half summer sausage and the other half snack sticks with pepperjack infused throughout.

It has been a Merry Christmas for me already!!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
What did it die of??
Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
What did it die of??
^^^^^this
I would not eat it if I did not know how it got there and why it died. Maybe the story just does not include the full details.....
Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, 2 yr old deer don't just drop dead in front of door steps. Atleast not round here.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
fjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
fjfar80's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm...undeveloped city property...where hunting is not allowed I am sure...and a deer just dropped dead on your front door...I am sure there was an interesting wound cavity on the animal...probably from one of those frozen ice rods falling from the heavens!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfar80 View Post
Hmmm...undeveloped city property...where hunting is not allowed I am sure...and a deer just dropped dead on your front door...I am sure there was an interesting wound cavity on the animal...probably from one of those frozen ice rods falling from the heavens!
Hmmmm, maybe
Old 11-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
30 lbs of meat? was some of it rancid? or did you leave alot?

if this deer actually died of mystery causes..i wouldnt eat it..if it died because..well, whatever..then congrats.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #9

Sorry guys I did not give the full details, bowhunting season is in full swing and this deer took one that nicked its left lung. It eventually died near my front doorstep around 11:00 in the morning according to my elderly next door neighbor. I got home around 1:00 P.M. After a call to the game warden I received a tag and permission to harvest.

I had a butcher debone it and according to him the meat looks just like every other deer he does. I feel confident of what the doe died of because I seen part of the arrow stuck in her as well as the bloody lung.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SWEET!!

bonus that you did it all legal like!! my buddy saw a pig get hit by a car..while we were taking a lunch break WHILE PIG HUNTING.. he walked down there and threw it into his truck..right when a warden pulled up.

he didnt get cited. but he had to pull the pig back out. stupid. what a waste.

warded stated that the pig was not taken by legal means.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #11

Yes, I noticed my game warden was very particular about everything. I dragged the doe 10 ft into my garage to keep crows and other wildlife away from it before I called him, game warden decided to "let that slide".
Old 11-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Cant beat that and awsome job doing everything legal. Pepper sticks are awsome by the way! Atleast the ones my processor does.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
Skimafia is on a distinguished road
Skimafia's Tacoma Gallery
Heres what I would do- take the first half of the meat, wrap it in a bag and throw it in the garbage because deer is gross. Then I would take the other half, and do the same as the first half!

But really. Sausage and jerky. No point in using it for anything else IMO
Old 11-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimafia View Post
Heres what I would do- take the first half of the meat, wrap it in a bag and throw it in the garbage because deer is gross. Then I would take the other half, and do the same as the first half!

But really. Sausage and jerky. No point in using it for anything else IMO

you are not going to make it long around here..lol
Old 11-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
Skimafia is on a distinguished road
Skimafia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
you are not going to make it long around here..lol
Im not completely serious. I was repeating a funny joke my hunter brother told me once, but he was talking about prong horn. I personally dont much care for deer unless its jerkey or sausage sticks. So pretty much deer meat so spiced up you cant taste it.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #16
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
If you dont like to eat it, then you dont have any business hunting it! Soaking cuts of the meat in salt water is key to good tasting venison. Gets rid of any gamey taste and any blood in the meat. Seasoned flour, dip in milk then flour then drop in deep fryer till floats. Man, my mouth is watering as i type this.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
If you dont like to eat it, then you dont have any business hunting it! Soaking cuts of the meat in salt water is key to good tasting venison. Gets rid of any gamey taste and any blood in the meat. Seasoned flour, dip in milk then flour then drop in deep fryer till floats. Man, my mouth is watering as i type this.
Salt water? Why not just buy the jack links stuff..Probably tastes the same.

I like my deer to be natural, maybe some mild spices in it. Wanna taste the grass it's been eating..haha
Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
Salt water? Why not just buy the jack links stuff..Probably tastes the same.

I like my deer to be natural, maybe some mild spices in it. Wanna taste the grass it's been eating..haha
This. The nations meat industry has turn us into food softies. I love wild game. Store bought chickens are flavorless. Our beef is so mild.