Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Help with scope options.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Help with scope options.

I have recently been gifted a 30-06 Mossberg rifle from my fiance's father. Now don't get me wrong the rifle is great. I have had it for about a week and already bagged a doe. My issue is that I would like to upgrade the scope. Something that will get me accurate at a maximum of 300 yards. I do like the idea of having the red or green dot inside the scope and since I hunt at a farm I usually am posted up right along the wood line. So right around dusk is when the deer come out to feed in the corn field. Being dusk the scope that came with the gun is a 9x scope. There is no label or marking on the scope so I am assuming it is made by Mossberg. Its Ok, just not too great in low light.

Does anyone recommend a scope that isn't going to break the bank and can supply a red dot and great visibility in low light and preferably at least a 9 power or more?

Old 12-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
What's your budget?
Old 12-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
KR FAB
sandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Amir
sandman427's Tacoma Gallery
its all gonna depend on that.... check out vortex or if you really want to break the bank nightforce or Premier lol... but from what i have seen and heard you get a lot of bang for your buck with vortex... and you want something that can withstand the punch from an Ott 6... but its gonna depend on budget...
Old 12-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
ROLL TIDE
Jo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud of

Name: Jo Dog
Jo Dog's Tacoma Gallery
Any Nikon scope will be good and they start pretty cheap and go up to as much as you are willing to spend
Old 12-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
I was hoping that I could keep the price between $250 - $350. I have checked craigslist and have seen many different scopes for sale. I am just trying to hear what people say about what they are either using currently or what they are familiar with.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, get a nikon. i got one for my 4x12 one for my .308. they have good lenses.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
tlh178 is on a distinguished road
Name: terry
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
you can add leupold to the list also.last year i brought a leupold VXR 4-12x40 and spent 750.00 on that scope to upgrade my 30-06. 750.00 is midgrade in the scope world.you can spend 2 or 3 k on a top of the line scope.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
smtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to behold

smtaco73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh178 View Post
you can add leupold to the list also.last year i brought a leupold VXR 4-12x40 and spent 750.00 on that scope to upgrade my 30-06. 750.00 is midgrade in the scope world.you can spend 2 or 3 k on a top of the line scope.
I have the 4-12x50 and love it. It comes with a red dot if want it too or turn it off. Have my on a browning 270 WSM
Old 12-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Love the nikons, but unless your stand hunting with a rest anymore than 9 power is not much help. Not only that the more power the more weight your carrying. JMO though. As far as accuracy goes thats all you.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I'd get - the Fullfield II in 3-9x for $200.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/282...-reticle-matte

By the way, when you put better glass on that gun, you'll probably not need an illuminated reticle. Better scope = more light transmission.

You also might check out the Leupold Rifleman or VX-1 or VX-2 (older Leupold technology) or the Redfield Revolution line (new, cheap-but-good Leupold technology).
Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
all my scopes are Leupolds. i love them. it has been years since i have bought a scope. the prices skyrocketed. i think i got my VX-III 3.5-10 for $400. i bet that scope is north of $700 now.

if i was in the market for a new scope. i think i would give Vortex a good hard look. the warranty is unmatched. if i wanted something with a light source..i would get a Trujicon. very neat product.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
My progeny will be awesome!
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
ChewbacaTW's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't need it right away keep an eye out for a used one of these. A bit more expensive but you'll thanks me later. http://m.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-a...cope-tr20.html

I think it actually comes in a red reticle too.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a leupold on my rifle for years with no problems.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #16
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Dog View Post
Any Nikon scope will be good and they start pretty cheap and go up to as much as you are willing to spend
this, i have a pro staff 3-9x40, and the light transmission is very good, there normally 200 from bass pro but they run sales on them for 150.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
Leupolds are good scopes.
If I wanted something to hunt in low light conditions; a 50mm lens would be a must, no matter what brand scope!

The one thing that I look at when buying a scope is FOV. Most of the scopes that I have are wide view. For some reason, most of the better scopes don't have near the FOV that some of the cheaper ones do.

If you don't need a bunch of scopes, on a pile of guns, at least spend the extra money for one good scope on a primary gun.
I'd go broke if I put a Swarovski on every hunting gun I own!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #18

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the responses.. I have been looking at the leupold scope Rifleman 4- 12x 40mm. It is not too expensive and I think it would be a great deer slaying scope.

Has anyone had experience with this one?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #19
Apricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Lcpl, 3/8 & 3rd FAST
Name: Henry
Apricotshot's Tacoma Gallery

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/now-everyone-can-be-a-sniper-if-this-works.htm
Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #20

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery

haha. Hell yeah!! January 2013 can't come soon enough... But I bet that set up will cost at the least a few thousand.