Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Convert MAG Lite to LED or get a better light?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Convert MAG Lite to LED or get a better light?

It's been my experience that the hunting and gun guys have about an equal obsession with flashlights as they do with guns... so I hope I'm asking the right people

I have a pair of 2D incandescent Mag Lites. I'd like to get better power out of them, especially after seeing my friend's LED version of the same.

Is it best for me to throw in a TerraLux MiniStar 5, or is it less expensive and better to toss these and find a better light?

By the way, I'm not obsessed with flashlights (sorry), I just want to have a good useful light for offroading. I'm also going to be joining a volunteer search & rescue organization as well.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
toss them.

you can buy a streamlight flashlight about the size of the one the doctor uses to look down your throat. runs on two AA batteries and it will scald night lizards in the desert..for about $40. i love mine. i got one for my neighbor when i saw her looking about in the dark..with this big dark yellow glow around her coming from her long ass maglight.

IMHO. maglight let the ship of technology sail away without them. they had such a freaking head start in the flashlight biz..
Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
I have to agree.
A D-cell Maglight makes a good tool for smashing car windows if you have to, or helping somebody hear better.
But not for SAR.
Can't get bigger or heavier than that.
AA LED's have gotten really affordable.
DO NOT get a CR123 light, they do nothing but eat $3 batteries.
AA will do everything you want and need.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
not that I am an expert on the subject matter, but with my maglight mounts on the drivers seat, i've always had a 5D maglight w/ LED conversion. I still have it floating around the house, my grand-dad's old 6D from when he was a security guard at lasalle college in philly.

A baseball bat with a light at the end
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
http://dx.com/c/flashlights-lasers-9...lashlights-931
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I did some reading last night and it sounds like aficianado and thinkingman are on the ball.

Is there any certain model I should be looking at?
I'm not too particular on the size (I'd rather be able to find it and turn it on/off with ski gloves).
Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Here is mine. Convert MAG Lite to LED or get a better light?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354899753.390055.jpg

Stream light protac 2AA. The button is on the end so it is easy to turn on with gloves.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Nuggety

Thanks guys, I'm readjusting my Christmas list
Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTQCummins View Post
grand-dad's old 6D from when he was a security guard at lasalle college in philly.

A baseball bat with a light at the end
LOL, I used to have one of those. You speak the truth. Haven't seen anything advertised bigger than a 4D in years though.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Thanks guys, I'm readjusting my Christmas list
you can buy mine

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...lashlight.html
Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
https://illuminationsupply.com/pa40-...a258de14f98253

Quad AA batt.

I can personally vouch for the light. I love mine. Also this is my friends business. So if he treats you badly let me know and ill give him a swift kick to the ass.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post

Quad AA batt.

I can personally vouch for the light. I love mine. Also this is my friends business. So if he treats you badly let me know and ill give him a swift kick to the ass.
Group buy?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
I can talk to him about a group buy if enough people are interested.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Group buy?
Hello!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
Nuggety

Quote:

Quad AA batt.

LOL I love warranties that include swift ass kicking.
That's pretty awesome with the indicator in it, and if it really is 468 lumens then that is stupid crazy bright.
It's on the list
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
wtf am i reading

Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
Its fricking bright. I have it and the pa20 among other lights. I like the pa40 because it fits in a back pocket real well because it is not round

I live down the street from him so I can get their real quick
Old 12-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
Out of my mind....be back later.
RedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT 262d CCS WANG
Name: Dale
RedTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
You have my interest.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
You can mod a maglight if you want to take on the project. for about 20 bucks, my current 3D (running 3x18650 Batteries) mag mounted on my drivers seat will outshine any streamlight, fenix ect which costs 10x more.

Get a good heatsink from candlepower, get a CREE XM-L or 3 (latest bin possible), a good driver (again from candlepower) and have fun.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #19
Hakuna Matata, bitches!
EVErsionDesigns has a spectacular aura aboutEVErsionDesigns has a spectacular aura about

Name: Trent
EVErsionDesigns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
Here is mine. Attachment 183629

Stream light protac 2AA. The button is on the end so it is easy to turn on with gloves.
Are you an engineer by any chance?lol
Old 12-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #20
Look away, I'm hideous!

Quote:
I can talk to him about a group buy if enough people are interested.