Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Red dot scope help

Old 12-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
Red dot scope help

I'm looking at getting a scope for my ar-15, but I have the m&p sport 15. It has a folding rear sight but the A-frame front permanent sight. This poses an issue to adding a scope. Does anyone here run a scope with a flat top AR that has the A-frame front sight? If so, pics? I know that you can put one on top of a carry handle, but I don't want it to be that tall of a profile.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Adjust the height of the red dot so the FSP is in the lower 1/3rd of the image.
The dot will function normally, and if it fails, you can go back to your irons and still have a good sight picture.

If you go to a magnified scope, the front sight post won't even be visible.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

How would I be able to use the irons if the scope battery fails?
Anyone have any pics?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogeyphenogey View Post
How would I be able to use the irons if the scope battery fails?
Anyone have any pics?
If it's just a red dot, the scope still passes light. Just raise your rear iron and sight normally... the red dot will just "be there".

There's basically two conventions for mounting a dot.
Absolute co-witness mounts the red dot so the irons are centered in the glass. Lower-1/3rd co-witness moves the dot up to provide a less obstructed FOV when using the red dot.

That's how I have my AR22 set up with the Aimpoint.
No pics of that one.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
I know you want pics but sorry I don't have any. I put this http://www.mylucidgear.com/reddot.php on my AR and it has been out to the range twice and worked flawlessly. 4 reticles to choose from all had same zero and if battery fails BUIS are visable threw housing
Old 12-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
It's called "Co-witness" Just google it. Google has all the info you could ask for. And my "AimPoint T1" co-witnesses very nicely atop my Spikes.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #7

Some good info, tyvm!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #8

Do any of you use a red dot sight with magnification? I guess my issue is that you cannot just walk into Cabelas with your AR and start mounting scopes to see what you like. I was at the range and a guy had a Bushnell scope with a red dot and magnification, but the scope itself was not very long- it was not a "hunting rifle scope" if you understand what I'm getting at. I cannot see the bullseye on a target 100 yds away without some assistance.

He had this scope on a Stag Arms AR that had a carry handle and the same A-frame front sight as me.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
Jake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Levi
Jake7's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same M&P, I put a vortex strike fire on it. It's a red/green dot scope, I can still use the iron sights as long as its mounted far enough forward to raise the rear sight. It also comes with a screw in 2X multiplier so you can get a little zoom when you want it. Here's the website they have pictures of it mounted on a flat top AR and it comes with everything you need to mount it. Can't beat the price and quality of the product either.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...scope-for-ar15
Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
I cannot see the bullseye on a target 100 yds away without some assistance.
I'm with you. Old eyes aren't what they used to be.

I run a 4x (F)ACOG on my short barrel.
My 20" has a 12x Simmons. It's a cheap scope, but with the muzzle comp I have, muzzle flip is minimal.
Quote:
He had this scope on a Stag Arms AR that had a carry handle and the same A-frame front sight as me.
Use it as a carry handle in basic and your DI will break your knuckles
It's original purpose was a shroud to protect the charging handle, which was a trigger-shaped item located inside the hoop.
That version never went into general production and the charging handle was redesigned as a "T" and moved to the rear, but the "hoop" remained, rather than spend the money to retool the upper receiver.

Eventually, the hoop was eliminated on the A4, as it was no advantage for anything, and is a terrible mount for optics, moving the optics too far above the bore axis.
If the hoop is detachable, just remove it and mount your scope to the top of the upper. The front sight post won't even appear in the window on a magnified scope.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I cut, and filed down my A2 front sight, so as to be able to use optics. It was free, and simple. Use flat Black spray paint for touch up.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #13

Chris, got a pic of that chopped sight?
Old 12-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Chris, got a pic of that chopped sight?
Gimmie a min, and I'll send some to TW LIve.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #15