1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me decide on a 380

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by HomerTaco, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Dec 15, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I'm looking at a 380 and have narrowed it down to these two choices:

[​IMG]

Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380

Or this:
    [​IMG]

Same caliber and capacity...
    The S&W comes with the laser sight and has an active safety cost: $380
    The Ruger does not have a laser sight built in nor does it have a safety However with crimson trace option added cost: $480

I like the fact that the crimson trace has the grip switch vs the S&W that has to be activated by a button on the side...

Having a hard time deciding.

I know there are a bunch of members who have a TON more experience than I and I welcome your feedback on a selection.

I have had the opportunity to fire both.

Thank you!

2. Dec 15, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    I like the Ruger.... simply based on looks. I have zero experience :)

3. Dec 15, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    cgrhyne

cgrhyne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Lincolnton, NC
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner (the best 3rd gen)
    Bilstein/OME Lift, 5th Gen Wheels, BFGs, fun stuff... Had a 3rd Gen, twin turbo'ed it (traded in on a F150 Gen 2 3.5 Ecoboost)
    I have the ruger lcp, carry it all the time, and have had zero issues. With that being said, you can't go wrong with either brand of gun makers.

On the laser - being that the barrel length is so short, the laser is only going to scare who ever your pointing it at, not serve as a site. anything over 5 yards or so, your going to be better off throwing the gun at them versus hitting them with the bullet/laser combo. I am assuming your getting the gun to carry and wont be target practicing with it. If that is the case, get the one that feels better in your hand and fits in your pocket (or wherever your going to carry it) the best.

4. Dec 15, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    TacoSkeet

TacoSkeet 'MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 DC Tacoma
    I have the bodyguard 380 and I love it. Its small and easy to conceal plus shoots smooth as well. and it has a laser pointer, who doesnt want a laser pointer? Good luck

5. Dec 15, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    Mpgillespie

Mpgillespie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    13 PreDCSB Stormtroopen Taco
    Definitely the Ruger. I have an LCP myself and love it. I have recently upgraded to a Springfield XDM Compact for extra firepower. Any reason for the .380? Ammo is more expensive for weekend shooting.

6. Dec 15, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    Onion27

Onion27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Dbl Cab PreRunner
    I've been looking at the Bodyguard myself. Just waiting for the extra cash at this point. Where did you find it for $380?

7. Dec 15, 2012 at 7:33 AM
    taco4x4

taco4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4 door trd off road
    3 inch Tuff Country Suspension lift, Removed the Mudflaps, Tinted windows, Nitto Trail Grapplers with 18x9 XD Monsters debadged and aftermarket grill. Fog light anytime mod. Hids in fogs and headlights and all led lights. Flowmaster 40 series. Bed pocket lights mod.. TRD Seat covers, Aries Bull Bar Plasti-Dipped Black with 2 Hella 700 converted HID.
    I reccomend the S&W Bodyguard. I have one and love it. I carry it almost everywhere I go. I have a friend who has the Ruger and he ( for whatever reason ) wishes he would have got the S&W.. Good luck.. In my opinion they are both great guns!!!

8. Dec 15, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
    I have the Bodyguard and have had zero issues with it. I carry that mostly in the summer and a 45 in the winter. I will say this I dont think I will use that laser, if push comes to shove and I have to put the weapon into use the last thing on my mind will be the laser. Paint the sights and use your training.

9. Dec 15, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply Old HVACR Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Off Road TRD/SR5
    I carry a Kahr PM9 as my warm weather CCW and it is a very reliable pistol, but should have a 250-500 round break-in before carrying. I prefer the stopping power of the 9mm over the .380 and with 9mm ammo costing less means more practice time and money for holster selection. The Kahr CM9 is a little less expensive but a very nice pistol also. From my experience with owning many major brands of firearms it is tough to beat the customer service that Smith & Wesson gives. YMMV

Gratuitous Gun pR0n:

[​IMG]

10. Dec 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    excellent...

This is another reason to love TW. :cool:

11. Dec 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    swendling12

swendling12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg Cab SR5 4 cyl 5spd 4x4
    I would recommend comparing the trigger pulls on the two guns, I don't know about the LCP but the pull on our bodyguard is very awkward. It has a pretty heavy spring, and a long pull that leaves you anticipating the break.

12. Dec 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I have fired both and the pull is only slightly better on the Ruger...

13. Dec 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Hold My Beer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Virginia
    i have the ruger lcp 380 and absolutely love it. Perfect size and weight for carry and packs a pretty good punch.

14. Dec 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    are you looking specifically for a pocket pistol? you can get the LC9 which is not much bigger, but not really a pocket pistol, have cheaper ammo costs, better in hand feel/shooter overall IMO.

15. Dec 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    PWhite13

PWhite13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Prescott
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3
    Anyone know why .380 ammo costs more than 9mm?

16. Dec 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    Because 9mm is a NATO standard round and is more mass produced than .380.

17. Dec 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    I carried a Mauser 380 for 5 years and really liked it. Have you looked at it?:confused:

18. Dec 15, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    If your not stuck on a .380 consider a Beretta Nano BU9MM. I just got one last week and really like it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

size comparison to my Glock 23

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Dec 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    guy I work with just picked up the ruger .380..Has a laser in it for $380.

Super nice little gun, I think I may pick one up also.

20. Dec 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Craig, I have no insight on the S&W but I can give you some feedback on the Ruger. The ruger's a decent gun. I like that it's light and the definition of a pocket pistol. But I honestly just can't carry it. The trigger sucks. As it has no manual safety, it's a DAO trigger. I don't mind so much the DAO, but what I do mind is the reset. The trigger reset is every bit as long as the first pull. Which, even that I can deal with. What I hate about the LCP is has a "faux" trigger reset. You can feel and hear and audible click about half way reset. Unfortunately, if you try squeezing again after that first initial reset click...no bang. Every class I've ever taken has always emphasized two shots center mass. I wasn't consistent at the range let alone in a panic situation, and I just had no confidence in my abilities with the pistol.
    Also something else to keep in mind, much like similar mouse guns, the slide does not stay locked back after last round. You can only lock the slide manually.
    The factory "sights" are next to worthless, however there is a remedy for that. I don't have the link handy but I can find it if you want. There's a guy who mounts real sights on the slide and they are night sites to boot.

Personally, for 380 I carry a Sig P238. It has the same basic grip and functions as a 1911. If you like 1911 style guns, I'd recommend looking into it.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top