Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Help me decide on a 380

Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
King of the grill
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Help me decide on a 380

I'm looking at a 380 and have narrowed it down to these two choices:

Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380

Or this:

Same caliber and capacity...
The S&W comes with the laser sight and has an active safety cost: $380
The Ruger does not have a laser sight built in nor does it have a safety However with crimson trace option added cost: $480

I like the fact that the crimson trace has the grip switch vs the S&W that has to be activated by a button on the side...

Having a hard time deciding.

I know there are a bunch of members who have a TON more experience than I and I welcome your feedback on a selection.

I have had the opportunity to fire both.

Thank you!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Ruger.... simply based on looks. I have zero experience
Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
cgrhyne is on a distinguished road

Name: Cameron
cgrhyne's Tacoma Gallery
I have the ruger lcp, carry it all the time, and have had zero issues. With that being said, you can't go wrong with either brand of gun makers.

On the laser - being that the barrel length is so short, the laser is only going to scare who ever your pointing it at, not serve as a site. anything over 5 yards or so, your going to be better off throwing the gun at them versus hitting them with the bullet/laser combo. I am assuming your getting the gun to carry and wont be target practicing with it. If that is the case, get the one that feels better in your hand and fits in your pocket (or wherever your going to carry it) the best.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
I have the bodyguard 380 and I love it. Its small and easy to conceal plus shoots smooth as well. and it has a laser pointer, who doesnt want a laser pointer? Good luck
Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Mpgillespie is on a distinguished road
Army: Blackhawk Helicopter Mechanic
Mpgillespie's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely the Ruger. I have an LCP myself and love it. I have recently upgraded to a Springfield XDM Compact for extra firepower. Any reason for the .380? Ammo is more expensive for weekend shooting.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
Onion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jason
Onion27's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking at the Bodyguard myself. Just waiting for the extra cash at this point. Where did you find it for $380?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
taco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I reccomend the S&W Bodyguard. I have one and love it. I carry it almost everywhere I go. I have a friend who has the Ruger and he ( for whatever reason ) wishes he would have got the S&W.. Good luck.. In my opinion they are both great guns!!!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Bodyguard and have had zero issues with it. I carry that mostly in the summer and a 45 in the winter. I will say this I dont think I will use that laser, if push comes to shove and I have to put the weapon into use the last thing on my mind will be the laser. Paint the sights and use your training.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpgillespie View Post
Definitely the Ruger. I have an LCP myself and love it. I have recently upgraded to a Springfield XDM Compact for extra firepower. Any reason for the .380? Ammo is more expensive for weekend shooting.
I carry a Kahr PM9 as my warm weather CCW and it is a very reliable pistol, but should have a 250-500 round break-in before carrying. I prefer the stopping power of the 9mm over the .380 and with 9mm ammo costing less means more practice time and money for holster selection. The Kahr CM9 is a little less expensive but a very nice pistol also. From my experience with owning many major brands of firearms it is tough to beat the customer service that Smith & Wesson gives. YMMV

Gratuitous Gun pR0n:

Old 12-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
swendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
swendling12's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend comparing the trigger pulls on the two guns, I don't know about the LCP but the pull on our bodyguard is very awkward. It has a pretty heavy spring, and a long pull that leaves you anticipating the break.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
King of the grill
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by swendling12 View Post
I would recommend comparing the trigger pulls on the two guns, I don't know about the LCP but the pull on our bodyguard is very awkward. It has a pretty heavy spring, and a long pull that leaves you anticipating the break.
I have fired both and the pull is only slightly better on the Ruger...
Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger LCP .380
Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
are you looking specifically for a pocket pistol? you can get the LC9 which is not much bigger, but not really a pocket pistol, have cheaper ammo costs, better in hand feel/shooter overall IMO.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know why .380 ammo costs more than 9mm?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #18
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
I carried a Mauser 380 for 5 years and really liked it. Have you looked at it?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
guy I work with just picked up the ruger .380..Has a laser in it for $380.

Super nice little gun, I think I may pick one up also.