Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Remington ghost fire

Old 12-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Remington ghost fire

I posted a problem I had , in a now closed thread,with my early seventies Remington bdl 25-06. I had a beast of axis in my sights last year. Chambered,fire on,trigger not work,no click,no movement. Nothing. After repeatedly checking everything,quietly,axis still eating. I had him in my sight again,same problem. I went thru checks once more and the rifle went off when bolt was lowered. I didn't have him in my sights when it did it. Nobody injured,axis ran off,I nearly soiled myself.
I removed the scope and put it on a new marlin 30/30. I cleaned the Remington and locked It up.
I've heard about other remington problems and It has me nervous about my 12 ga auto.
Should I look into another brand? Especially with talk of gun bans presently?
Any input is appreciated.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06indigoink's Tacoma Gallery
That's probably one of the only Remington's you'll ever have trouble with. I personally have 4, my grandfather has multiple guns from many years back. Still shoot smooth
Old 12-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks. But I remember a 60 minute episode of a Remington trigger problem cover up? Never had a problem with my 12 ga , just wondering.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Pump action FTMFW
Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
My progeny will be awesome!
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
ChewbacaTW's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it 's been known to happen. But it's the exception. If i were you I would just buy a new trigger assembly and put it in.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
You could try and clean and lube everything but I agree with the new trigger route. I would however take the bolt apart to make sure not gummed up inside and that the firing pin is in good shape along with the spring
Old 12-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
dont tread on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewbacaTW View Post
Yes it 's been known to happen. But it's the exception. If i were you I would just buy a new trigger assembly and put it in.
Thanks. I'll check out brownells.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
dont tread on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
You could try and clean and lube everything but I agree with the new trigger route. I would however take the bolt apart to make sure not gummed up inside and that the firing pin is in good shape along with the spring
Thanks. Yea I cleaned and lubes before locking it up. I didn't look it over because I already disowned it.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
just call up remington and have them fix it...

Its a known problem on their part. me and my family have probably owned around 20 rem bolt guns over the years and never had problems with any of them though...
Old 12-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
dont tread on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
just call up remington and have them fix it...

Its a known problem on their part. me and my family have probably owned around 20 rem bolt guns over the years and never had problems with any of them though...
Thanks. Thought about that also. Going to see if I can get an rma and send it in.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
get a browning way better gun.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
dont tread on me!

I got a marlin 30-30 instead,I like it. My first lever.
Remington ghost fire-uploadfromtaptalk1356395881129.jpg
Old 12-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
dont tread on me!

Remington ghost fire-uploadfromtaptalk1356395919172.jpg
Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #15
dont tread on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
Very nice it looks like you got him with a paintball gun
yea my wife wanted me to clean him?! Oh I cleaned him alright
Real bummed to find out a fellow taxidermist and biologist can't smoke some links for me. Last year's batch was excellent,more so with some English smoked,aged cheddar,mmmmmm. He's busy with nee ra.ch manager job.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of animal is that?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Looks like an axis?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
I posted a problem I had , in a now closed thread,with my early seventies Remington bdl 25-06. I had a beast of axis in my sights last year. Chambered,fire on,trigger not work,no click,no movement. Nothing. After repeatedly checking everything,quietly,axis still eating. I had him in my sight again,same problem. I went thru checks once more and the rifle went off when bolt was lowered. I didn't have him in my sights when it did it. Nobody injured,axis ran off,I nearly soiled myself.
I removed the scope and put it on a new marlin 30/30. I cleaned the Remington and locked It up.
I've heard about other remington problems and It has me nervous about my 12 ga auto.
Should I look into another brand? Especially with talk of gun bans presently?
Any input is appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
What kind of animal is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06indigoink View Post
Looks like an axis?
Something tells me it's an axis, not quite sure what though

Old 12-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #19
youradhere is on a distinguished road
youradhere's Tacoma Gallery
I think the trigger problem you're thinking of is with the X-40 trigger group (later replaced with the X-mark pro after a news expose).

If I remember correctly though, the poeple having problems with the x-40 trigger group were tampering with it to get a lower break... i've had a ghost fire with my 700 x-40 tg, but it was my own fault after trying to tamper with the trigger (lesson learned). At the factory break weight, i never had any issues

The 12ga auto doesn't use the same trigger group-- you should not have any problems there.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Something tells me it's an axis, not quite sure what though

ha