Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

His And Hers Concealed Carry, Suggestions?

Old 12-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
His And Hers Concealed Carry, Suggestions?

Me and the wife are looking to by a couple handguns with the ability to conceal carry if we want. Not too really knowed up in the gun department so I am open for any personal recommendations.

My initial thinking is somewhere along the lines of a XD or XDm in .40 S&W or larger.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
ruger LCP's would be nice for you guys, and you can get them for short money as well.

if you have a little more money look into some walthers, or glock 36/37's.

if you want full sized guns, i love my glock .40 model 22.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
strip is a jewel in the roughstrip is a jewel in the roughstrip is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bill
strip's Tacoma Gallery
I teach Concealed Carry and I can give you a few pointers on this. I keep one of about every popular carry handgun on hand for my students to try out and use in the class. This is a big plus as it keeps people from buying guns they don't like or cant use. I suggest you find and shoot one before you buy one. what works great for one person does not work great for another so I advise you to not heed to much from other peoples opinions. I do suggest highly that what you buy is a quality name brand gun. Now, the basics. The small auto's such as LCP, Body Guard, Keltec...etc they are great guns and easily concealable. the downfall is that they are difficult to shoot and operate due to their size. If you and your wife are confident well practiced shooters, then by all means go ahead with the small gun. If you are new to handguns, get something bigger and more enjoyable to shoot and practice with it a lot! Practice practice practice with whatever you buy! Now, revolvers are easier to operate and manipulate, but as a rule, they take more practice to develop muscle memory than an automatic because the ergonomics of a revolver are more critical on the way you grip the gun. The most poipular gun I have in my class right now for the ladies is the Walther PK380. this is one of the softest shooting guns on the market and is very easily manipulated. It is a great little gun and your wife will love this one, but it has 2 things I dislike about it. the mag release is awkward and the safety/decocker could have been designed better. Their is a host of quality guns available that will work for what you need. I suggest you think hard about what it is you will be doing with this gun and buy accordingly. Personally, I have a keltec 380 as my primary carry gun, the reason is that I can stick it in my pocket and it fits nicely and if I leave it in my car and it gets stolen, I havent lost much as well as after several years of carying it, it looks like hell now. The gun is absolutely reliable and as I shoot a lot in training and competition, I can shoot it very well, but honestly their are very few people out there that would be able to stop a threat with these small guns because they don't practice enough with them. If I am traveling and going outside of my area of familiarity, I will at a minimum have a full size high capacity handgun with me. As far as calibers go, I tell my students that one hit with a 22 is better than 7 misses with a 45. buy what you enjoy shooting and practice with it a lot. If you have any questions about a particular firearm, PM me and I will give you my personal opinion of the gun.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
How do you plan to carry? Think about SIZE of the gun and carry-ability and conceal-ability.

My husband has a Kahr PM9. Nice & small and can be carried just about any type of method (with a wide variety of holsters available).
Men tend to have an easier time figuring out how & what you want to carry.

For Her: Might not be as easy....depending on her body shape.

I have a Bodyguard 380. Nice & small. I personally like 'small' as its easier to conceal. My body mechanics are 'weird' that my waist is higher and leaves no room to draw from a traditional side carry holster (my elbows/arms are completely bent when I try side carry).

Remember.... high caliber guns in small packages will kick like a mother. Nothing wrong with that - until you take it to the range and want to throw some rounds downrange to get practice. Find something that's comfortable to shoot...or else you OR HER won't want to practice with it.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
wolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wolfdog2314's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered one of these a couple days ago.

Check it out:

http://xdspistol.com/
Old 12-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Two CZ mod 85's for me and a hammerless S&W 5 shot 38 for her.. She hates all the moving parts.. She likes the 38 as it is point & pull...
Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
"his" = whatever you decide "fits" you best, operation, cartridge capacity, etc.

"hers" = ditto above, ...w.r.t. "her"...

narrow down to a few you think you like, then ask to see them, handle them, ...if possible test fire them at a range...

if you're looking for an all around good pistol, take a look at the M&P line from S&W...
Old 12-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
for you, i really enjoy my keltec pf9. its small (but not SMALL, it still fits in my hands, minus a little bit of my pinkie)
its double action, has no safety, which is nice, but it has a HEAVY trigger pull, once you shoot a box of ammo its not so bad but at first its surprising. it has a tad bit of kick because it is so small and light, but its amazingly accurate, i used it for my armed security class and i was the 2nd best shot in the class out of 50 (behind a former police officer who took the class for shits n giggles)

cant recommend anything for her, a 22? no kick lol
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Kahr CW9 or if you want a safety, MP Shield.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
the new shield from Smith and Wesson is a nice CC piece...you might prefer something slightly larger though like a M&Pc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IfQbB8JWck

the XDS is nice its 45 caliber....

if you want to spend a little more money i recommend a Sig P238 for her and a Sig P938 for you they are sweet shooters
Old 12-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog2314 View Post
I just ordered one of these a couple days ago.

Check it out:

http://xdspistol.com/
Those are bad ass guns!! To bad I can't get it in Cali. Stupid State!!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
wolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wolfdog2314's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07trd4x4 View Post
Yah I'm really excited to get it. Back ordered a lot of places tho.

The S&W Shield is also a real nice gun.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
ruger lcp .380
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog2314 View Post
Yah I'm really excited to get it. Back ordered a lot of places tho.

The S&W Shield is also a real nice gun.
That's a good choice too
Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07trd4x4 View Post

cant do a one shot exemption thing?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmodel65 View Post
cant do a one shot exemption thing?
I could if shops around here would, but they don't. For Sale to LEOs only
Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
.40 cal or larger is too much recoil for new shooters.
Hell, it's too much recoil for most people in a small pistol.
For simplicity, size and reliability, buy a small revolver....Smith and Wesson 642 or similar.
Don't let anyone tell you it's not enough capacity, power, etc.
It's enough to solve any problem that can be solved with a small, concealed-carry weapon.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Would be nice if you could both have the same weapon for concealed carry. Bought my wife the Ruger LC9, thinking of getting one for myself.

As to carrying options the decision is on body or off body. My wife carries on body around the farm (3 1/2 acres) and sometimes in town with a fanny pack setup. For off body carry she uses a concealment over the shoulder purse by "Pistol Packing Mamas" that she obtained at a gun show.

Suggestion for weapons are the ones both can shoot/handle the best. Just remember, it may feel good in the gun shop, but very uncomfortable to shoot.

For carry, what feels right and is easy to get access to when needed............just gonna have to shop around till you find the right combination....oh, yeah....when you are wearing it concealed and seat belted in your vehicle, can you get to it quickly???