Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Mailing a firearm across state lines

Old 12-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Sido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sido's Tacoma Gallery
Mailing a firearm across state lines

I'm back at my parents house for the holidays and I want to take a rifle home with me to hunt. Nothing fancy, just a basic elk gun, but I want to take it from my home state to my current state of residence.

Have you ever mailed yourself a gun that crossed state lines? The regulations seem kind of complicated. I read the ATF regulations and and I don't really see where I would fit in their buckets. Maybe this would fall under mail yourself a gun for lawful sporting activity? Or relocating out of state, even if the relocation was several years ago?

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...ensed-transfer
Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
maybe im missing something but unless your flyng why dont you just put it in the truck?

you might have to ship it to your local FFL and pick it up from then
Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
And even if your flying, u can still check a rifle and or hand gun as long as its locked up
Old 12-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Sido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sido's Tacoma Gallery
I'm flying, and already have a ton of stuff with me, it wouldn't be impossible to do but want to avoid if at all possible.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
per the ATF

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...rms-additional

Quote:
Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
UPS ships firearms but each state has different laws. Ive used UPS to ship guns back to the manufacture for repair and recalls. The gun came back through UPS but I had to sign for it at the main UPS office.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I've mailed guns to myself.

Shit, i've even mailed suppressors (didnt know that was a NO NO)

UPS is perfectly fine.

However comma, i highly suggest you fly with it. Sure its an extra $25 bucks, but it will get there

think about hte shit-storm it would cause at the airport if your guns arent there?

This happened to me before, and i told them the contents. It was my AKSU, ammo, mags, M&P pistol, ammo, mags, suppressors. I then mentioned i could make one phone call to any local news and news crews would be all over this bitch screaming "crazed gunman armed to the teeth with assault weapons at local international airport"

she proceeded to turn white as snow, and quickly got on the phone as fast as fucking possible

Which do you think the airport would care more about being misplaced? Hippie McDipsticks faggy guitar, or a live fucking weapon?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
A little more information (AKA which state is the gun in and where is it going to end up) would help.

Unfortunately mailing it or flying with it are both going to be a pain.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Zoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Zoot's Tacoma Gallery
Hippie McDipsticks faggy guitar... had me rolling.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
just send it ups. what they don't know won't hurt them
Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
The only way you're going to know what to do is check both states regulations, every state is different and even if you aren't breaking federal law you could be breaking state regs. You really can't depend on anybody's advice here unless they live in whatever states you are talking about.

For instance, if you wanted to ship it to MA you will have to send it to an ffl and you'll need to show your ltc when you pick it up.

Don't screw around with guns and the law, ignorance won't help you if you violate something so make sure you know exactly what the rules are before doing anything.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
If you ship it

Take it all apart and ship the components seperately. Don't make it look like a weapon.

I once shipped a 1911A1 to myself in two packages. When UPS asked what was in the packages, I replied "auto parts"
Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
Sido's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
The only way you're going to know what to do is check both states regulations, every state is different and even if you aren't breaking federal law you could be breaking state regs. You really can't depend on anybody's advice here unless they live in whatever states you are talking about.

For instance, if you wanted to ship it to MA you will have to send it to an ffl and you'll need to show your ltc when you pick it up.

Don't screw around with guns and the law, ignorance won't help you if you violate something so make sure you know exactly what the rules are before doing anything.
It would be going from OR to AZ. I ended up just leaving it at home, got really busy before I left and didn't have time to research the state laws. I'll probably just end up buying one down here.