Notices

SCOPE/SIGHTS

Old 12-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
pikegi is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Brandon
pikegi's Tacoma Gallery
SCOPE/SIGHTS

Santa was thought I was extra nice this year and brought me a AR-15. Looking to get a scope/sight and wanted some input. Please let me know what you have and the pros and cons. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
All depends on your intended use. Scopes are way more precise at longer distances, reflex/red dots are faster to acquire at close to moderate ranges and moving targets. Also, is your gun a flattop or carry handle model?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Vortex strikefire.

It good, cheap, and fits the role without breaking the bank

/thread
Old 12-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Yea we definitely need some more info on your gun and what type of shooting you prefer to do.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Army:
pikegi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
All depends on your intended use. Scopes are way more precise at longer distances, reflex/red dots are faster to acquire at close to moderate ranges and moving targets. Also, is your gun a flattop or carry handle model?

It is a flat top and I was hoping to get something that had a quick release because I like the mbus rear sites that came with it. Plan on hunting everything from hog, deer, possum, coyote, and anything else that has a heartbeat in the woods!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Army:
pikegi's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the link to the gun so you can tell what I have.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...m-carbine.html
Old 12-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, what's your budget?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Army:
pikegi's Tacoma Gallery
Well dont really want to break the bank, but understand you get what you pay for. Really dont want to spend over $300 but would possibly go as high as $500.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
If you want a quick target acquisition then go with a some type of reflex sight with a magnifier behind on a flip away mount. This would be good for rabbit and smaller quick game then flip the magnifier behind it for the more lengthy shots that you can take your time on.
There is also another option. You can get a nice, say 4x, optic on a quick release mount like you want for the longer shots and have a red dot mounted on a 45 degree mount for those quick targets say 100yds and in. I ran this setup in Afghan. Worked quite well.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #10

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
If you want a quick target acquisition then go with a some type of reflex sight with a magnifier behind on a flip away mount. This would be good for rabbit and smaller quick game then flip the magnifier behind it for the more lengthy shots that you can take your time on.
There is also another option. You can get a nice, say 4x, optic on a quick release mount like you want for the longer shots and have a red dot mounted on a 45 degree mount for those quick targets say 100yds and in. I ran this setup in Afghan. Worked quite well.
IMO the second paragraph is 100% correct. This would be the best of both worlds.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
A Nikon Prostaff 4X40 on QD mounts is about ideal for what you describe.
Also, lose that collapsible buttstock if you want to hit anything outside of 10 yards.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
A Nikon Prostaff 4X40 on QD mounts is about ideal for what you describe.
Also, lose that collapsible buttstock if you want to hit anything outside of 10 yards.

I have to know what is wrong with an adjustable stock. Help me out here.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #13
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to try a Vortex Sparc on my wife's AR. For $200 it sure has some good reviews . It should co witness with your mbus too from what I've read. And you're plenty fine with your adjustable stock too, I can hit a 10" steel plate at 200 yards prone, sitting, kneeling, standing with my EOtec.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Field Artillery
Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
SCOPE/SIGHTS-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356786904.296350.jpg
SCOPE/SIGHTS-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356786920.281468.jpg
SCOPE/SIGHTS-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356786933.934742.jpg
Old 12-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Kind of tough - you[ve got a fighting carbine and you want to set it up for hunting. I think you'd be happier picking one purpose and setting it up that way.

If you want magnified optics, you might pop a 1-4x Vortex PST on it with a throw lever base. Alternatively, Leatherwood actually makes a pretty great 1-4x for the price.

Leatherwood
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/725...-reticle-matte

Vortex
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/458...-reticle-matte
Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #17
Army:
pikegi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs95tacoma View Post
Is that an NcStar? How well does it hold zero?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikegi View Post
Is that an NcStar? How well does it hold zero?

Yea it sure looks like it. I have had a couple different ones. All of them were great. They were on different guns. That was the reason for having more than one. I usually take them apart and use some thread locker on all the mounting points. A lot of people try and stay from them. I don't think they are bad. You can't throw any optic around though. You can spend $1k and still knock your zero off.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
Army:
pikegi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
Yea it sure looks like it. I have had a couple different ones. All of them were great. They were on different guns. That was the reason for having more than one. I usually take them apart and use some thread locker on all the mounting points. A lot of people try and stay from them. I don't think they are bad. You can't throw any optic around though. You can spend $1k and still knock your zero off.

Yeah I definitely wouldnt be throwing it around. This is why I started the thread to hear what people have tried and if the products were good or bad! Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
05tacoSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Vortex Viper PST. 1x4 power. Mill dots for long range and illuminated retical for fast work. For me it's the best of both worlds.