Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Firearm BS thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #2561
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery

Gonna be calling my lawyer tomorrow to setup a living trust, then on the 10th I'll be able to send off a form 1 for a 10.2'' 300 BLK SBR. Gonna be an expensive week.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #2562
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post

Gonna be calling my lawyer tomorrow to setup a living trust, then on the 10th I'll be able to send off a form 1 for a 10.2'' 300 BLK SBR. Gonna be an expensive week.
Do it through the e from system as its faster. Also make sure your lower is engraved before sending the paperwork off.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #2563
Banned
quantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shed
quantum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
Do it through the e from system as its faster. Also make sure your lower is engraved before sending the paperwork off.
or buy factory SBR (no engraving needed)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #2564
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
I do my NFA items personally still. There are some cons going the Trust/eFile route that don't often get discussed. Not the least of which is the fact that if there's any reason your eFile gets rejected you get no reason. Just rejected. You also have to resubmit from the beginning and get no preference for already waiting. I know a fella that just went longer than me on an eFile because he had to refile twice and guess at the problem. If you thought you did something right the first time and are told it's wrong w/o a reason.... how do you know how to fix it? I've never had one come back but if it did I would have a reason and could resubmit and a few weeks later would have an approval form. IMO it's worth it until they make the eFile system more robust. I just got two back in 9mos that were sent in during the longest estimated lead times. They've added more examiners (nearly double) and I think we're past the rush that was slowing things down when the panic was that people wouldn't be able to get NFA at that price or at all. It seems as though those who were filing for that reason have got everything they wanted & we may be back to normal pretty soon here. If your concern is what happens when you die they can transfer tax-free on a Form 5 to any legal heir through the executor of the estate upon your death. IMO the benefits to putting all your NFA items on a Trust are inflated by some. Unless you have a CLEO that isn't sign-off friendly so it's your only option to even get them I wouldn't do it. That's just me.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #2565
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

To address something earlier... always assemble our lower and test it first and foremost. Make sure it fits & functions 100% flawlessly because you will likely be married to it for the rest of your life so SBRing a lemon would be a real bummer. Up next... engrave. If you send it off or have it done locally always engrave first. I use a place in MN called Orion that charges I think $35 for front of magwell (filled) and return shipping of like $14 or something... cheapest I found and that was comparing to others that use a standard side-of-receiver location that still cost more. Front of magwell is way more tacticool. lol Then, once you have your lower engraved fill out your paperwork FROM THE LOWER. In other words, don't send off your form first because if you get approved and then have your lower engraved you not only have more rules to adhere to now since it's technically a NFA item but you also MUST get it exactly as the form read when it was approved. I had one situation where the engraver added a period after my first initial even though I explicitly requested it not have any punctuation. I got the lower back and noticed the addition and wasn't upset at all since I hadn't yet filled out my paperwork. Completed the paperwork from the lower receiver itself (with the error) and sent it off and never gave it another thought. Now, had I already been approved w/o the period... different story. Your engraving technically doesn't match what you stated it was on your form. When you fill out your form do some Googling and read discussions regarding this topic. Take what everyone says with a grain of salt, move on and read the next one. Compile all the discussions and make your own decision based on those how to fill out your form. The picture doesn't have to be an official passport photo as those are expensive. Stand in front of a white background in good light and have someone use your smartphone to take the shot. Use an auto-edit program to make it look professional & then trim it to the proper crop as outlined by passport photo guidelines. I've done several like this and even send the same pic every time and they take it every time even though the picture was taken several years ago. Finger print cards are the same thing. Get several done as your local LE will likely charge you one free for 2 or 10. If you don't have the BATFE approved finger print cards use the same one that your local LE uses but don't fill out the BATFE's info. They prefer you send it blank so they can use their stamp for their own address & info. Also check with your local LE where you plan to have your fingerprint cards done because most these days have a fancy printer that will do all the work for you. They ask you all the info on the card, input it into the computer, electronically capture your prints and then print out as many cards as you need with all of the pertinent info auto-populated. So, call ahead before you waste an hour hand filling out all of your own info on print cards.

I'm sure there's more but that's about all the pro tips I can think of right now.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #2566
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I completely forgot about the engraving, after I get the trust set up I'll start looking for local engravers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
or buy factory SBR (no engraving needed)
Can't at 18, you have to do a form 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
I do my NFA items personally still. There are some cons going the Trust/eFile route that don't often get discussed. Not the least of which is the fact that if there's any reason your eFile gets rejected you get no reason. Just rejected. You also have to resubmit from the beginning and get no preference for already waiting. I know a fella that just went longer than me on an eFile because he had to refile twice and guess at the problem. If you thought you did something right the first time and are told it's wrong w/o a reason.... how do you know how to fix it? I've never had one come back but if it did I would have a reason and could resubmit and a few weeks later would have an approval form. IMO it's worth it until they make the eFile system more robust. I just got two back in 9mos that were sent in during the longest estimated lead times. They've added more examiners (nearly double) and I think we're past the rush that was slowing things down when the panic was that people wouldn't be able to get NFA at that price or at all. It seems as though those who were filing for that reason have got everything they wanted & we may be back to normal pretty soon here. If your concern is what happens when you die they can transfer tax-free on a Form 5 to any legal heir through the executor of the estate upon your death. IMO the benefits to putting all your NFA items on a Trust are inflated by some. Unless you have a CLEO that isn't sign-off friendly so it's your only option to even get them I wouldn't do it. That's just me.
My biggest reason for the trust is so family can transport them at any time, we live in a hurricane prone area and I'm not always home when my family is.

My lower is already assembled, I'm taking the lower that was bought in Ca and turning it into the NFA lower.
I do need to shoot it though, the last time I shot it I was having a lot of malfunctions, I think it's mag related though. I just got a bunch of new Pmags to see.

Thanks for the info
Old 07-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #2567
Banned
quantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shed
quantum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can't at 18, you have to do a form 1
oh, my bad, didn't notice your age. btw, i'm from Ocean Springs
Old 07-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #2568
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
To address something earlier... always assemble our lower and test it first and foremost. Make sure it fits & functions 100% flawlessly because you will likely be married to it for the rest of your life so SBRing a lemon would be a real bummer. Up next... engrave. If you send it off or have it done locally always engrave first. I use a place in MN called Orion that charges I think $35 for front of magwell (filled) and return shipping of like $14 or something... cheapest I found and that was comparing to others that use a standard side-of-receiver location that still cost more. Front of magwell is way more tacticool. lol Then, once you have your lower engraved fill out your paperwork FROM THE LOWER. In other words, don't send off your form first because if you get approved and then have your lower engraved you not only have more rules to adhere to now since it's technically a NFA item but you also MUST get it exactly as the form read when it was approved. I had one situation where the engraver added a period after my first initial even though I explicitly requested it not have any punctuation. I got the lower back and noticed the addition and wasn't upset at all since I hadn't yet filled out my paperwork. Completed the paperwork from the lower receiver itself (with the error) and sent it off and never gave it another thought. Now, had I already been approved w/o the period... different story. Your engraving technically doesn't match what you stated it was on your form. When you fill out your form do some Googling and read discussions regarding this topic. Take what everyone says with a grain of salt, move on and read the next one. Compile all the discussions and make your own decision based on those how to fill out your form. The picture doesn't have to be an official passport photo as those are expensive. Stand in front of a white background in good light and have someone use your smartphone to take the shot. Use an auto-edit program to make it look professional & then trim it to the proper crop as outlined by passport photo guidelines. I've done several like this and even send the same pic every time and they take it every time even though the picture was taken several years ago. Finger print cards are the same thing. Get several done as your local LE will likely charge you one free for 2 or 10. If you don't have the BATFE approved finger print cards use the same one that your local LE uses but don't fill out the BATFE's info. They prefer you send it blank so they can use their stamp for their own address & info. Also check with your local LE where you plan to have your fingerprint cards done because most these days have a fancy printer that will do all the work for you. They ask you all the info on the card, input it into the computer, electronically capture your prints and then print out as many cards as you need with all of the pertinent info auto-populated. So, call ahead before you waste an hour hand filling out all of your own info on print cards.

I'm sure there's more but that's about all the pro tips I can think of right now.
I do my own prints at home. I should buy some photo printer paper and do those at home too. Great idea. Walgreens is like $8 a set.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #2569
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
I do my own prints at home. I should buy some photo printer paper and do those at home too. Great idea. Walgreens is like $8 a set.
Check out the passport photo guidelines and then make your own. Even if you don't have a printer you can crop/combine four onto a single 4x6 and then send it to your local Walmart to print for like a dime. Then just cut them out and have a pic close enough to a passport pic for about 2.5 cents each. You can go all out and drop a couple of quarters and have pics for NFA forms for years to come.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #2570
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
oh, my bad, didn't notice your age. btw, i'm from Ocean Springs
Someone that's finally from around here, you still local?

My lawyer Emailed me his retainer contract/agreement and I signed it and sent it back to him with the check, hopefully he gets it by tomorrow evening, snail mail makes me impatient.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #2571
Banned
quantum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Someone that's finally from around here, you still local?
nope, hopefully i will be heading back around there if/when i finish grad school
Old 07-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #2572
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post

go into walgreens pull down the scren they have you stand in front of snap pic with digital camera. insert sd card into printer for self printing photos. print out lol
Old 07-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #2573
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmodel65 View Post
go into walgreens pull down the scren they have you stand in front of snap pic with digital camera. insert sd card into printer for self printing photos. print out lol
There you go. Problem solved!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #2574
762NateOh is on a distinguished road
Name: Nate
762NateOh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats more of an Efile issue than a Trust issue. You can still paper file with a trust.

Also, I've read of people that have had rejected Eforms, and they resubmitted and wrote the "ask the experts", explained their situation, and got a near immediate approval.

The only downside to a trust is the initial cost of the trust.

I did my first 4 NFA items as an individual, and now do all via trust. I won't look back.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #2575
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762NateOh View Post
Thats more of an Efile issue than a Trust issue. You can still paper file with a trust.

Also, I've read of people that have had rejected Eforms, and they resubmitted and wrote the "ask the experts", explained their situation, and got a near immediate approval.

The only downside to a trust is the initial cost of the trust.

I did my first 4 NFA items as an individual, and now do all via trust. I won't look back.
My trust wasn't very expensive, $250 for everything. A friend of mine paid $600 for his up in Va.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #2576
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My trust wasn't very expensive, $250 for everything. A friend of mine paid $600 for his up in Va.
HOLY SHIIIITTTTTT.... I paid $200 for mine in VA, from a guy recommended on multiple boards
Old 07-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #2577
velillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to all
Name: Nick
velillen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
HOLY SHIIIITTTTTT.... I paid $200 for mine in VA, from a guy recommended on multiple boards
Just depends what ya want. I used a free one from my class 3 dealer after having a lawyer review it and it works just great for what i need. Which is just a trust for myself, dad, and brother for NFA items only is all i needed.

If ya have any NFA questions find a reputable dealer in your area and go talk to them. My dealer answered every single one of my stupid questions and even though he is two and a half hours away he still gets my business!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #2578
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
I had a bunch of questions as well and this attorney had all the answers which made me feel very comfortable. Glad i did it
Old 07-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #2579
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, sounded extremely high to me, but on some forums they say 30-500 is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velillen View Post
Just depends what ya want. I used a free one from my class 3 dealer after having a lawyer review it and it works just great for what i need. Which is just a trust for myself, dad, and brother for NFA items only is all i needed.

If ya have any NFA questions find a reputable dealer in your area and go talk to them. My dealer answered every single one of my stupid questions and even though he is two and a half hours away he still gets my business!
There aren't any class 3 dealers in my area to my knowledge, My lawyer is 4 hours away from me and there's a good dealer close to him.

I have had good luck E-mailing the ATF with my NFA questions.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #2580
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
i was gonna get a trust for a mixed flatrate postoffice 40 pound box of apples and oranges lol. but i never took the guy up on the offer. i would have just needed to mail them to Alaska

Products Discussed in this Thread