Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Firearm BS thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #1161
fjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
fjfar80's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Not bad...just makes some of us jealous...extremely.
Sorry about that...

With Ronin Strategies and some of our clients we get to play with some cool toys from time-to-time. One of these days I will take some selective pictures of my gun room...I'm a little sensitive about giving people access to the room (even virtual) but, I have collected a lot of fun stuff that comes with NFA Tax Stamps.

Believe it or not it's challenging and expensive to stay ahead of the training curve. We spend a lot of time going to other schools, testing weapons, tactics, etc. We believe if we want to stay relevant we have to teach the basic fundamentals of marksmanship / tactics while incorporating modern operating paradigms and equipment.

Heck, I spent my Sunday at a SCAR seminar learning the history of the weapon - no shooting, all PowerPoint. It was highly educational and provided some great information that will help us train our students utilizing the SCAR platform more effectively.

- Mark
Old 12-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #1162
Resident Otaku
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfar80 View Post
Sorry about that...

With Ronin Strategies and some of our clients we get to play with some cool toys from time-to-time. One of these days I will take some selective pictures of my gun room...I'm a little sensitive about giving people access to the room (even virtual) but, I have collected a lot of fun stuff that comes with NFA Tax Stamps.

Believe it or not it's challenging and expensive to stay ahead of the training curve. We spend a lot of time going to other schools, testing weapons, tactics, etc. We believe if we want to stay relevant we have to teach the basic fundamentals of marksmanship / tactics while incorporating modern operating paradigms and equipment.

Heck, I spent my Sunday at a SCAR seminar learning the history of the weapon - no shooting, all PowerPoint. It was highly educational and provided some great information that will help us train our students utilizing the SCAR platform more effectively.

- Mark
no kidding, most people at the range im at are even a little hesitant to show off what they have at the range that day... its kind of sad, really... cause they sure show up with stuff that beats the hell out of the bargain bin rifle that i bring
Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #1163
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You say that like it's a bad thing...
It twinged me a bit because I could tell that this is where it was going. Have you really never heard of suppressors making guns dirty, or were you just wanting to share the gear you run? It's not bad to post the cool stuff you have. It is kind of annoying when people are like "oh, really? You found Moab challenging with your daily driver? I've never heard of that! Tell me what setup you run so I can post all my specialized equipment I run to avoid the exact situation you're describing!"
Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #1164
fjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
fjfar80's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
It twinged me a bit because I could tell that this is where it was going. Have you really never heard of suppressors making guns dirty, or were you just wanting to share the gear you run? It's not bad to post the cool stuff you have. It is kind of annoying when people are like "oh, really? You found Moab challenging with your daily driver? I've never heard of that! Tell me what setup you run so I can post all my specialized equipment I run to avoid the exact situation you're describing!"
I have certainly heard of suppressors making guns dirty - but, I haven't heard of too many where it's "caked" after one range trip. Unless you're shooting a 1,000 rounds per trip (which is totally possible)...I am actually surprised that you had "caked" issues.

Thus, I was curious about what you were running - seeing if I might be able to help out with some pointers. Different gas block, different gas setup, different bolt carrier group, etc.

The sarcastic comment (not by you) about the "Magic AR" combo led me to post what I am usually running when shooting suppressed ARs. It's a fact if you run the right equipment you won't have as many negative issues...much, like your Moab comment.

I believe I've only posted a few pictures / descriptions of some of my firearms...I honestly just don't like to share much of that over the internet. Thus, I'll not proactively post gear / gun write-ups, etc. unless it's just something really cool that I as a "gun guy" would be interested in if the situation were reversed.

My apologies if I "twinged" you, not my intent.

- Mark
Old 12-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #1165
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have certainly heard of suppressors making guns dirty - but, I haven't heard of too many where it's "caked" after one range trip. Unless you're shooting a 1,000 rounds per trip (which is totally possible)...I am actually surprised that you had "caked" issues.

Thus, I was curious about what you were running - seeing if I might be able to help out with some pointers. Different gas block, different gas setup, different bolt carrier group, etc.

The sarcastic comment (not by you) about the "Magic AR" combo led me to post what I am usually running when shooting suppressed ARs. It's a fact if you run the right equipment you won't have as many negative issues...much, like your Moab comment.

I believe I've only posted a few pictures / descriptions of some of my firearms...I honestly just don't like to share much of that over the internet. Thus, I'll not proactively post gear / gun write-ups, etc. unless it's just something really cool that I as a "gun guy" would be interested in if the situation were reversed.

- Mark
Fair enough - it's the internet after all. It's hard to read inflections in text. I'm quite impressed that you have a dedicated suppressed setup. My cans have to do double or triple duty. I appreciate you being civil about it, and I apologize if I was overly-critical.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #1166
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

- Mark
The rifle I run suppressed the most is my LMT Monolithic Platform piston driven CQB 12" factory rifle with various suppressors (BTW, I shoot with Ray, Shane & Zak w/ThunderBeast Arms who's suppressor you're running & even helped test prototypes to give you an idea with my experience on suppressed weapons) and rifles get dirty. Suppressed rifles get dirty. Suppressed DI rifles get really dirty no matter what ammo you shoot and the ammo has little to do with this in fact. That's why I was asking for specifics on your miracle setup that doesn't get dirty. Keep in mind that this whole conversation started because you felt it odd that someone mentioned needing to clean their suppressed AR regularly and you felt so surprised by this that you felt the need to post your doubts about his experience. Not trying to seem overly critical I just have similar doubts to yours from the opposite side of the aisle.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #1167
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Fair enough - it's the internet after all. It's hard to read inflections in text. I'm quite impressed that you have a dedicated suppressed setup. My cans have to do double or triple duty. I appreciate you being civil about it, and I apologize if I was overly-critical.
Online apology and supplemental compliment....nice
Old 12-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #1168
fjfar80's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
The rifle I run suppressed the most is my LMT Monolithic Platform piston driven CQB 12" factory rifle with various suppressors (BTW, I shoot with Ray, Shane & Zak w/ThunderBeast Arms who's suppressor you're running & even helped test prototypes to give you an idea with my experience on suppressed weapons) and rifles get dirty. Suppressed rifles get dirty. Suppressed DI rifles get really dirty no matter what ammo you shoot and the ammo has little to do with this in fact. That's why I was asking for specifics on your miracle setup that doesn't get dirty. Keep in mind that this whole conversation started because you felt it odd that someone mentioned needing to clean their suppressed AR regularly and you felt so surprised by this that you felt the need to post your doubts about his experience. Not trying to seem overly critical I just have similar doubts to yours from the opposite side of the aisle.
Raydog is a really nice guy and I love their suppressors - I think they have excellent customer service as well.

I didn't say I was surprised at it getting dirty (nor did I say or imply I doubted his experience)...I know they get dirty, mine get dirty. What I said was (and please feel free to go re-read my post):

"That's interesting I've never had that issue shooting my AR's suppressed. What kind of ammo are you using, gas system, gas block?"

That was in response to him saying, his gun got "completely caked with crap after a couple mags".

That's unusual, that's beyond unusual. I've never shot a suppressed AR that caked after a couple of mags. That implies 60 rounds. So, I think my comment / question was spot on.

You inferred that I had a "magic AR". I don't have a magic AR but, I have never had that issue after shooting AAC, Gemtech, Knight's Armament, AWC, Surefire, Thunderbeast, Silencerco, etc. suppressors through probably 20 different AR rifles.

This may also be reflective of one's definition of "caked". When I think of "caked" I think of having to scrape the bolt clean and there is enough residue to induce malfunctions.

I will disagree with you vehemently on your point that ammo has little to do with it, a cartridge loaded with a powder that burns "dirty" will deposit much more residue than a powder that burns cleanly. It all depends on how many solids are suspended in the high pressure gas that makes its way through the gas block and gas tube and get deposited back on the bolt carrier group and chamber.

There is high quality powder and there is low quality powder. Take 500 rounds of Black Hills MK262 Mod 1 and run that through an AR and then run 500 rounds of Wolf and tell me that, "ammo has little to do with this in fact". A suppressor exacerbates the impact, due to the fact that more gas is being directed through the gas port and back through the gas tube.

I appreciate the fact that you have suppressor time and I agree with you that a gun is going to get dirty regardless - that's true no matter what.

- Mark
Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #1169
fjfar80's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
Online apology and supplemental compliment....nice
Who says the internet can't be civil...we're gentlemen after all.

- Mark
Old 12-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #1170
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Alrighty, so i am in the market for another gun. Looking to get a Dragunov, VEPR, PSL, or M76. Let me know if you guys are looking to part with anything, or if you have anything else.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #1171
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
I want a Vepr in 7.62x54r so baddddddddd also i want to sell my saiga 12 and get the vepr 12 lol
Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #1172
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I've shot one of the vepr 7.62x54r guns, they are a lot of fun....watched on guy mag dump with one....talk about loud. I would like to use one to make a psl or dragunov style gun
Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #1173
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreidTaco View Post
Alrighty, so i am in the market for another gun. Looking to get a Dragunov, VEPR, PSL, or M76. Let me know if you guys are looking to part with anything, or if you have anything else.
lots of choices and decent prices here
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/
Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #1174
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
E-mailed Mossberg about my 535 dropping shells and now they want me to send the shot gun back to them... Got a decision to make, try to fix it myself or send it back. Anyone done the mod to bend the little foot that holds the shells in the tube? Is it hard to do or should I just let them deal with it? They're offering to pay the shipping and will send me a pre-paid label to send it back, just a matter of packing it up and getting it to a shop to send it out for me.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #1175
Resident Otaku
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
E-mailed Mossberg about my 535 dropping shells and now they want me to send the shot gun back to them... Got a decision to make, try to fix it myself or send it back. Anyone done the mod to bend the little foot that holds the shells in the tube? Is it hard to do or should I just let them deal with it? They're offering to pay the shipping and will send me a pre-paid label to send it back, just a matter of packing it up and getting it to a shop to send it out for me.
if there paying shipping then yes, and as long as the repair is free then why not?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #1176
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Unless you can't be without it for a period of time (possibly a month or more), I would send it in and have them fix it right. Then again, if it is as simple as bending the retainer it would be silly to be without it for so long. Sounds like that is most likely what the problem is. But, if you bend it too much, the shells won't come out of the magazine at all. The 535 is a pretty simple machine. I've got an 835. Flip it over and cycle some shells and watch what is happening. Maybe it would be easier to take it to a local gunsmith and pay a few bucks for them to fix it.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #1177
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt596 View Post
if there paying shipping then yes, and as long as the repair is free then why not?
It took them 3 weeks to respond to my e-mail, just worried about how long they'll have my gun for. If the fix is easy enough, I'd just do it myself and be done with it, not sure how easy the fix really is. It seems like you just bend the metal piece that holds the shells in place but if this piece is prone to snapping, then I'll be stuck paying for replacement parts.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #1178

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
Unless you can't be without it for a period of time (possibly a month or more), I would send it in and have them fix it right. Then again, if it is as simple as bending the retainer it would be silly to be without it for so long. Sounds like that is most likely what the problem is. The 535 is a pretty simple machine. I've got an 835. Flip it over and cycle some shells and watch what is happening.
I watched a Youtube video of a 'fix' for the problem and that's all he did. He heated up the metal and bent it so it engaged the shell a little better and held it in place. The issue is the recoil was causing the shell to pop out of the tube and onto the ground. I don't know if Mossberg has a better mechanism that they'd swap out or just bend mine and send it back. I'm not sure if the youtube 'fix' is the right fix.

In short, I can afford to be without it for a while, I guess I'm just having trouble sending one of my guns away
Old 12-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #1179
Resident Otaku

Quote:
It took them 3 weeks to respond to my e-mail, just worried about how long they'll have my gun for. If the fix is easy enough, I'd just do it myself and be done with it, not sure how easy the fix really is. It seems like you just bend the metal piece that holds the shells in place but if this piece is prone to snapping, then I'll be stuck paying for replacement parts.
in that case, its like pugga said. can you be without it for a month or more? i was doing that when i sent my rifle in. don't need it so i can wait for the gunsmith to check it out.

Products Discussed in this Thread