Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Firearm BS thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #1961
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
Gear Head's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
Midway has Storm Lake conversion barrels in stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/212...ProductFinding

Oh, and, picked up a shield earlier
Nice! And I know about the storm lake barrels but they are double the price of a factory barrel and do the same thing
Old 04-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #1962
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Non2os13 View Post
Don't take a gun show ccw class. Take a good class where you will actually learn something.
You may learn methods from the class that are completely different than you would do on your own.
1st post in the gun thread. lol
welcome to TW
Old 04-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #1963
Non2os13 is on a distinguished road
Non2os13's Tacoma Gallery
Guns are one of my favorite things. Just trying to help people to not make the same mistakes that I have.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:46 AM   #1964
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have any experience with the Remington R1 1911? Is it worth it compared to other 1911's at that price point? A guy offered one in trade to me, I'm just doing my homework making sure it's a good, quality firearm before I trade.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #1965
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the all the info! The class I'm taking is instructed by retired military and LEO's. I figured with the rubber target you could still see where you hit before it closes up but I'll still pick up some paper targets as well then. As for the dummy rounds to work on malfunctions, I didn't think of that, thanks!
Old 04-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #1966
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
Thanks for the all the info! The class I'm taking is instructed by retired military and LEO's. I figured with the rubber target you could still see where you hit before it closes up but I'll still pick up some paper targets as well then. As for the dummy rounds to work on malfunctions, I didn't think of that, thanks!
you can kind of see where your shots go on those self healing targets, but for the novice i'd highly recommend paper targets...and probably add shoot n c stick on targets...they make seeing where your shots hit much easier and allows you to adjust on the fly mid mag
Old 04-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #1967
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
you can kind of see where your shots go on those self healing targets, but for the novice i'd highly recommend paper targets...and probably add shoot n c stick on targets...they make seeing where your shots hit much easier and allows you to adjust on the fly mid mag
100 pack of 7" glowshot targets on Amazon for $25. If you're shooting at a color target inside of 5yd you don't need them, but for me the only public range is a 15yd so the color change targets really help
Old 04-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #1968
423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Aircraft Mx
Name: Daniel
423 TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Saw a stainless glock 23 gen 4 at a gun show today. Didn't even know they had stainless Glock's, now I'm trying to talk myself out of going back to get it tomorrow
Old 04-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #1969
Yotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connal
Yotabilly's Tacoma Gallery
^^^I polished the slide on a worn 2nd gen G19 to a mirror finish a couple years ago. I had planned to eventually have it Cerakoted, but it's became an experiment to see if it'll rust. I think it's safe to say it won't rust.
http://
Old 04-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #1970
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone carry (hunting, CCW, work, ECT..) cross draw?
It's surprisingly comfortable and fast for me (glock 19 in a blackhawk serpa holster)
Old 04-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #1971
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
It's surprisingly comfortable and fast for me (glock 19 in a blackhawk serpa holster)
No. I like to be able to put shots on target as soon as I 'clear leather' in case I have to. You should train so that you first motion is to clear your holster and point upwards towards your target. This way if your attacker is on top of you (you'd be amazed how fast an adult can close distance) you can hip fire with good enough accuracy to have an effect on target. Your next motion will bring your firearm up to your chest to meet your support hand and then punch straight out towards your target. At any point you can fire on target if need be with progressively more accuracy through the motion. It's efficient and no motion is wasted movement. To me cross draw isn't natural and there's too much wasted motion and too long until you can put shots on target if you need to. That's just me. Some people try to over think things. With firearms simple is better.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #1972
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
100 pack of 7" glowshot targets on Amazon for $25. If you're shooting at a color target inside of 5yd you don't need them, but for me the only public range is a 15yd so the color change targets really help
I'll definitely look into these. Thanks again everyone! I went to the store here that offers leo and military discounts. The S&W 380 they sale is the model with the laser sight...is it really worth the extra money? I mean, honestly, how much use would you really get out of it? I'm fine with just the normal iron sight. But if it's only like 20-30 more would you opt for the laser sight?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #1973
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
nope

only feasible way for me is open carry or appendix IWB and appendix is a real uncomfortable way to carry if you have to sit down

I'll stick to my normal carry position for muscle memory since it's almost the same spot as my duty weapon...just under a shirt
Old 04-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #1974
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
No. I like to be able to put shots on target as soon as I 'clear leather' in case I have to. You should train so that you first motion is to clear your holster and point upwards towards your target. This way if your attacker is on top of you (you'd be amazed how fast an adult can close distance) you can hip fire with good enough accuracy to have an effect on target. Your next motion will bring your firearm up to your chest to meet your support hand and then punch straight out towards your target. At any point you can fire on target if need be with progressively more accuracy through the motion. It's efficient and no motion is wasted movement. To me cross draw isn't natural and there's too much wasted motion and too long until you can put shots on target if you need to. That's just me. Some people try to over think things. With firearms simple is better.
also a good reason for my hip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
I'll definitely look into these. Thanks again everyone! I went to the store here that offers leo and military discounts. The S&W 380 they sale is the model with the laser sight...is it really worth the extra money? I mean, honestly, how much use would you really get out of it? I'm fine with just the normal iron sight. But if it's only like 20-30 more would you opt for the laser sight?
had a bodyguard 380...traded it for an LCP...only reason I ever turned the laser on was to try it out or show it to someone who was thinking about buying the same gun

i have little to no interest in laser sights because my carry guns are either point shoot or flash sight...i don't have time to be worry about turning on a laser and then trying to figure out if it's on the target and then pulling the trigger

as mentioned above re: carry preferences...you should be aiming as soon as you break leather...and possibly firing

i'd lose a lot of time trying to fiddle with a fine motor skill of finding the little button and switching the laser on

if it turns out the s&w is the right fit then great...but don't buy it based on the laser
Old 04-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #1975
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

to add...if you are in your house in the dark, and something goes bump in the night...and you put the laser on...you've now given up one of your many tactical advantages and let the bad guy know where you are...i'm not willing to do that

at least with a flashlight, I can hold it out away from my body and not give the bad guy a direct target
Old 04-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #1976

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I wasn't too concerned with the laser sight to begin with. They said they can get it in without it. I do like the LCP too. And like you said, my only concern is the ease of unholstering, pointing, and shooting. Just something to get the job done if it should ever arise (god forbid it never does).
Old 04-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #1977
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
to add...if you are in your house in the dark, and something goes bump in the night...and you put the laser on...you've now given up one of your many tactical advantages and let the bad guy know where you are...i'm not willing to do that

at least with a flashlight, I can hold it out away from my body and not give the bad guy a direct target
What I do is have led night lights plugged in in the room adjacent to the 2 bedrooms. This way that room is lit enough to know where/what is moving, and since there are multiple rooms with doors attached to the lit room, the intruder doesn't know where I am.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #1978
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

I'm amazed with how many people put so much weight in lasers on carry weapons. I use them as a training aid to practice trigger control by dry firing on target and trying to keep the laser as still as possible but it's not something I look to add to my carry weapons. I have the Crimson Trace on my BUG because it's a pressure switch on the grip that basically illuminates as soon as I draw it but that's because the sights are poop & w/o illumination they can be difficult to pick up in high-stress situations. That being said, if that sucker comes out it's likely the distances involved won't require sights or lasers. Otherwise I don't equip carry weapons with lasers and the only ones I own are for training purposes.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #1979
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
What I do is have led night lights plugged in in the room adjacent to the 2 bedrooms. This way that room is lit enough to know where/what is moving, and since there are multiple rooms with doors attached to the lit room, the intruder doesn't know where I am.
You may have to diagram that. lol

Bottom line is if someone comes into MY house I've got a strategic advantage and I'm not looking to give that up with racking a shotgun, lasers, lights, noise, anything. It's MY house and a burglar just walked into an ambush and a world of hurt and I want to keep the odds on my side.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #1980
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
it's ok to say you have nightlights because you're scared of the dark

Products Discussed in this Thread