Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Firearm BS thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Firearm BS thread

Show us your guns is "supposed" to be a pic thread, and there's weapon-specific BS threads, but we don't really have a general firearm BS thread

So I'll see how this works. Noticed the threads getting a little cluttered.

Please keep politics out of this thread.

If anything...I'll get a few q's out

What do you guys recommend for upkeep of wood stocks? I have an original SFA M1 Garand and a Remington model 721 that mildew likes to attack

Also, anyone have experience with S&W model 19 revolvers and crimson trace grips? the crimson trace is supposed to fit the S&W K frame but... It's being a bitch
Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Good thread. I'll throw another one out there. Which Kimber 1911 does everyone recommend?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post

What do you guys recommend for upkeep of wood stocks? I have an original SFA M1 Garand and a Remington model 721 that mildew likes to attack
Pine Sol? Also, you're in Hawaii, so I imagine it is very humid there all the time. Try to store it with a dessicant pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
Good thread. I'll throw another one out there. Which Kimber 1911 does everyone recommend?
Any of em'
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Pine Sol? Also, you're in Hawaii, so I imagine it is very humid there all the time. Try to store it with a dessicant pack.

Any of em'
I've been using orange pledge but I'm kinda really scared to use it, or pine sol; since theyre both just household items...but I'm not really aware of any specific wood stock cleaners

These rifles are both older than my parents; I've been trusted with maintaining them for posterity

and EVERYTHING gets moldy here, especially since I live way up in the mountains
Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been using orange pledge but I'm kinda really scared to use it, or pine sol; since theyre both just household items...but I'm not really aware of any specific wood stock cleaners

These rifles are both older than my parents; I've been trusted with maintaining them for posterity

and EVERYTHING gets moldy here, especially since I live way up in the mountains
I just use rem-oil. I've got some 100+ year old family heirlooms and they get wiped down regularly with it. They also make "dryer rods" for gun safes to keep the air dry.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm a big fan of wax if you're not going to do a refinish/reseal. Oils will darken and soften the wood, sooner or later. A neutral wood wax will seal the stock and protect it from moisture without chanign the color of the wood.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I just use rem-oil. I've got some 100+ year old family heirlooms and they get wiped down regularly with it. They also make "dryer rods" for gun safes to keep the air dry.
you use the rem oil on wood? I use it on the metal parts
yeah, I'm looking at dehumidifiers for my closet...
Even my gloves and gear got moldy
Old 12-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you use the rem oil on wood? I use it on the metal parts
yeah, I'm looking at dehumidifiers for my closet...
Even my gloves and gear got moldy
Yup. Works great. Plus it smells good.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #9

I like the smell too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
I'm a big fan of wax if you're not going to do a refinish/reseal. Oils will darken and soften the wood, sooner or later. A neutral wood wax will seal the stock and protect it from moisture without chanign the color of the wood.
I'll look into these waxes... Wanna keep them looking as original as possible

the m1's serial number puts it in-service in 1944, there's tons of wear marks from whoever carried it before my grandfather got it... Gonna pass it to my kids one day
Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #10

I forgot I made this thread.
Not gonna polititalk about the awb

But im curious...
My m1 garand uses a en bloc clip, not a magazine
Made of wood
Clip only holds 8 rds
Non collapsible stock
Not an m14

Does it count as an assault weapon?
It was used in a helluva lot of military action..
Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #11

But im curious...
Made of wood
Clip only holds 8 rds
Non collapsible stock
Not an m14

Old 01-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

But im curious...
Made of wood
Clip only holds 8 rds
Non collapsible stock
Not an m14

I think the pistol grip is what classifies it as an assault weapon. An Ak-47 would not be considered assault weapon if you remove the pistol grip.

On another note, Looking into getting a GLOCK 23. Any Input?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
x2
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
rjp4419 will become famous soon enough
Army:
rjp4419's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
I think the pistol grip is what classifies it as an assault weapon. An Ak-47 would not be considered assault weapon if you remove the pistol grip.

On another note, Looking into getting a GLOCK 23. Any Input?
I had a 23, liked it a lot. If you like shooting 40s/w and like the feel of glocks youll love it. Only reason I got rid of mine is my g/f didnt like it..
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Latest Hand gun purchase.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Show us your guns is "supposed" to be a pic thread, and there's weapon-specific BS threads, but we don't really have a general firearm BS thread

So I'll see how this works. Noticed the threads getting a little cluttered.

Please keep politics out of this thread.

If anything...I'll get a few q's out

Also, anyone have experience with S&W model 19 revolvers and crimson trace grips? the crimson trace is supposed to fit the S&W K frame but... It's being a bitch
This is an excellent product for wood stocks, grips, walking sticks, etc. I have used this on several Nill Griffe grips with great success.

http://www.weiman.com/Products/Wood-...re-Polish.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Weiman-Lemon-C.../dp/B001QZT9W8

http://www.nill-grips.com/Replacemen...rials_116.html

And if you want some grips made by a very lovely, talented lady, look here.

http://www.esmeralda.cc/
Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
762NateOh is on a distinguished road
Name: Nate
762NateOh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
Which Kimber 1911 does everyone recommend?
The one that says "Colt" on it.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #19
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
mineral oil is good for wood stocks and cutting boards, its very stable and does not go bad. Most cooks use it on wood items in the kitchen.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #20
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
gun shopping tomorrow!

Wooo! Those are my favorite days

Products Discussed in this Thread