1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trail Camera Security

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by tarheelfan_08, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Dec 30, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 [OP] Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    Just bought my first trail camera, a Spypoint 5mp 35 infrared led camera. I have never used one since this was my first season of hunting and I am looking at ways to secure it to a tree and prevent thieves from removing it. I have found a lock box or two for around $50 and if that is the best option I will purchase one. I am interested to hear how others have secured theirs. If it is by a lockbox let me know the brand. If it is by a custom method let me know how to do it.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Dec 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    Also I noticed in some videos the camera has a red flashing light on the front, which I am guessing is for detection when taking photos. This worries me that someone will see the red light and bring unwanted attention to it.

3. Dec 30, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    bucktales

bucktales *Retired* curmudgeon

Member:
    Ct.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport AC / 2014 FJC/ 1972 Rally Nova
    If the want it bad enough, they'll steal it.
    One option is to put the camera 10 feet up a tree. At least they'll have to work for it.

4. Dec 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    Junebug55210

Junebug55210 2011 TRD Sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD Sport 4.0
    Cat back magnaflow, toolbox, camo seat covers
    I've had 3 stolen from me in less than a year. No matter what you they'll get it if they want it. I even had a camera in a steel box bolted to the tree and a heavy duty lock on it and some how someone still got the camera.

5. Dec 30, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    LOL yeah, if somebody wants it, they will get it. You can use a box, especially if there are bear in the area and it will help some, but as far as two legged critters go it is easy to pick a lock. I ordered a set of picks, read one article and then went to town on a couple locks I had laying around. Once I got the right head I unlocked each of them in less than 30 seconds a piece.

Best thing for keeping cameras is getting a small one and hiding it well. They have some new ones that are black leds, but they are serious money.

6. Dec 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I just put mine in a steel box lag bolted to the tree. No sense in worrying about it, if they want it there going to take it.

7. Dec 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Recently in the area I have noticed some beer cans appearing. The home on the property is rarely stayed in and all land is private thus there should be no cans. I have no tolerance for littering by the way.

My plan is to place the camera in a security box up high and hide it well. I plan to have it facing some trails where I am noticing trash. After a few days I will check it out and see if someone is coming around the area. If not I will begin feeding the land. I do not want to start feeding immediately. If someone is wondering on the property and they see the food they bmay begin looking for the camera. If coast is clear I may do some rearranging. I believe that survalence of land is just as important as actually looking for the deer.

It's a shame we live in a world where we have to worry about our cameras going missing

8. Dec 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    Yeah, in your case, I'd say a small camera out of the line of sight. Mine is almost too small for a box. I have the bushnell trophy cam. It's tiny. Brush it in a bit and you may not find it yourself if you have the camo version. Ask me how I know...... The red led's do show up at night, but I would guess most of your visitors are coming in during the day anyway. Put it up about 8-10 feet and aim it on the trail and you should be good. The light isnt that bright, especially viewed from an angle. Set it up in your living room to get an idea. We've got the same thing happening on my buddy's land. I hunt there too and have all my stuff up there. Make sure all your property is marked with paint and no trespassing signs. If you dont, there isnt much you can do.

9. Dec 30, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully it will be in by the end of the week and I can test it

10. Dec 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Any fun ways other than a ladder you guys use to scale tree and place camera

11. Dec 31, 2012 at 5:34 AM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    spikes and a buckstrap is what I use. Not everybody has a set laying around the house though.

12. Dec 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I have access to some spikes I think. That method is better than carrying a ladder into the woods

13. Dec 31, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Will be here this Saturday! Will be doing testing around home when I get it then moving it to woods

14. Dec 31, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now

I used a climber, a hang on, and now im in a ladder stand thats left there chained to the tree.
    Best method yet is the ladder for me..many days after work i run down and bow hunt for a few hours.
    The climber was nice, just time consuming after work..
    The hang on was nice, i just got tired of lugging the steps with me(i used lone wolf tree step sections).

I have heard good things about the body slings i think there called. You climb up the tree and are in a big web sling and can rotate around the tree..Cabelas carrys them..or used to anyways

15. Dec 31, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    most cameras have that red light to let you know when its taking a photo. just take a piece of black electrical tape and cover it up.

16. Dec 31, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    That was my thoughts as well but I was afraid to assume anything until I can get it and test it. I had planned on covering it if it is of no use

17. Dec 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    rmb_crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    yup all it does is let you know when the camera is taking a picture.

18. Dec 31, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Covering it up for sure then. Kinda dumb to put it on, seems like you dnt want it noticeable like that

19. Dec 31, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    rmb_crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    well most deer dont pay any attention to it. :)

20. Dec 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now

The deer in my area like the red glow..i have many pics of the deers nose on my camea..lol

Products Discussed in

To Top