Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Turkey Season Tips

Old 01-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
Turkey Season Tips

As deer season begins to close, turkey season is in the future. This will be my first one and I am looking for some tips from everyone. Good calls, whether you use decoys, if you bait, how you bring them in. Aswell as what you hunt them with, what your stand setup is like and etc. looking forward to the season and learning as I go!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks bud. I am wanting this to turn into a big thread with a lot of tips and help from everyone!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
I'm here for the fun, sub'd
Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
I set on the ground on a wheelbarrow inter tube in a camo bag. Thats my favorite seat to set on and ive tried alot of them. I use a single shot 12Ga 3.5 in magnum. If you shoot a gobbler and there is another gobbler around dont move because the one you didnt shoot might attack the first one giving you a chance to shoot them
Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyodajeff View Post
If you shoot a gobbler and there is another gobbler around dont move because the one you didnt shoot might attack the first one giving you a chance to shoot them
We can't do this in MO. One bird a day, and only one the first week of spring season, for a total of two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
I read in a field n stream mag that you are supposed to find the gaggle of turkeys. Then you run at em" and scatter em' all in different directions. Once scattered, you find a good spot to call em" all back to you, cuz they are gonna wanna re group, and POW. I'm gonna try it, but with a bow. Should be interesting.
This is a common technique for fall turkeys around here since they're not easy to call since they aren't breeding.

I use a jake decoy, which mature toms hate. I sometimes use a couple hens as well. I only use hens when on public land, and never gobble on public land. Chances of being shot are much greater than deer season, as you're not required to wear orange and you usually hunt from the ground.

I use slate calls almost exclusively, and can imitate an owl pretty well without a call to help locate gobblers early in the morning.

My biggest tip would be to find a deer food plot, or other cleaaring that is an acre or two at most and set up your decoy in the middle. I got tired of chasing toms around giant pastures and getting busted 75 yds out. Now I set up where if I can see the tom, I can shoot the tom. Get comfy, make a couple series of hen calls as soon as you hear the toms start to gobble then shut up and keep an eye out. Toms will sneak in on you and then bang!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance

Great tips. What do you guys do to identify if their are turkeys in the area you are hunting? How far out do you begin doing this?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i have my January AZ deer hunting coming up ..but believe me, my mind is on the turkeys.

you HAVE to know if your area has birds. go to where you see them occasionally.

i bowhunt them. but we do have a shotgun in the blind with us. i use decoys. i have DSD decoys, which i think are the best. google them. i also have a pair of cheap Primos decoys. a jake and a hen.

i like to use decoys. i use one jake decoy and usually two hens. so i use my DSD jake and hen..and one cheap primos hen.. i have one feeding hen..and one about to be mounted my the jake. my local birds are those big burly macho toms. a big tom decoy scares them, and they wont approach. so the jake is a better bet.

i set them up at about 12 yards..and this typically gives me a 20 yard bowshot. i wear dark colors in the blind. no camo. not needed.

calls? i have friction calls. the round ones you rub with a striker. i have a custom slate call that is very user friendly. and a glass call that takes more practice, but i think sounds more realistic. the slate is also much louder. mouth calls? yea i have them. but when a bird comes in, i typically get all dried mouthed..nerves.

turkey hunting is the funnest.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelfan_08 View Post
Great tips. What do you guys do to identify if their are turkeys in the area you are hunting? How far out do you begin doing this?
I see 2 turkeys on the sidewalks in Cambridge every morning on my walk into the office. Urban hunting
Old 01-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They will scratch up the ground looking for bugs to eat. Also try blowing a crow call or something you might here them gobbling around time turkey season starts. They gobble pretty loud and you will be able to hear it from a pretty good distance. The young Jakes also have a half gobble cough noise that they make and mature male make a full normal sounding gobble
Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
bucktales has a spectacular aura aboutbucktales has a spectacular aura about

bucktales's Tacoma Gallery
Right before the season starts, use an owl call in the area you plan to hunt. Use it right at dusk and you'll be able to roost them,i.e., know where they are roosting for the night. This will give you an idea if there's toms in the area.
Owl call works at pre-dawn also.

I carry a couple of box calls and a glass with a couple of different strikers for different tones.
I use decoys most of the time, a Jake and hen will do.

If you do have a gobbler coming in,go real easy on the calling. Couple of soft cuts and purrs is enough. He knows where you are already.
Largest bird I shot came in without making a sound.Snuck right in.
Biggest rookie mistake is overcalling or not knowing when to stop calling..

Make it fun and watch your backdoor,they sometimes sneak around in back of you.

Very important to pattern your gun before the season. See what it likes and don't like as far as loads and chokes go.
Know your distances and your gun's limitations. You don't always need a 3.5 inch 12 ga. They're not hard to kill and I've killed a pile with 2 3/4, and 3 inchers in both 20 ga. and 12 as well as a few with muzzleloading shotguns.

NWTF Member

Bring it on!!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
Banned
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktales View Post
Right before the season starts, use an owl call in the area you plan to hunt. Use it right at dusk and you'll be able to roost them,i.e., know where they are roosting for the night. This will give you an idea if there's toms in the area.
Owl call works at pre-dawn also.

I carry a couple of box calls and a glass with a couple of different strikers for different tones.
I use decoys most of the time, a Jake and hen will do.

If you do have a gobbler coming in,go real easy on the calling. Couple of soft cuts and purrs is enough. He knows where you are already.
Largest bird I shot came in without making a sound.Snuck right in.
Biggest rookie mistake is overcalling or not knowing when to stop calling..

Make it fun and watch your backdoor,they sometimes sneak around in back of you.

Very important to pattern your gun before the season. See what it likes and don't like as far as loads and chokes go.
Know your distances and your gun's limitations. You don't always need a 3.5 inch 12 ga. They're not hard to kill and I've killed a pile with 2 3/4, and 3 inchers in both 20 ga. and 12 as well as a few with muzzleloading shotguns.

NWTF Member

Bring it on!!
^^ Nice. I love to call them in . As said less is more .3 small lost hen cluck's 5 min. after sunup . It's killer just to know he is there... A lot of camo. mix it up. cover your face. After 40 years of hunting him you can make him walk right up to you..Its a great sport ,,enjoy it...Jim
Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06indigoink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As deer season begins to close, turkey season is in the future. This will be my first one and I am looking for some tips from everyone. Good calls, whether you use decoys, if you bait, how you bring them in. Aswell as what you hunt them with, what your stand setup is like and etc. looking forward to the season and learning as I go!
no bait allowed here in the carolinas.. dont do it its a big fine. other than that good luck. i love turkey hunting, everybody who says its easy has never been. turkeys are smart! best advice i can give you is dont overcall and dont move! cant tell you the number of times when i was younger i would move only to see a gobbler haulin ass the other way.

actually took the #2 bird in the county for last season. along with another than was right behind him. our farm has decent deer but we grow some massive turkeys. ill get some pics up tonight
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
Carolina Alliance

Look forward to seeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06indigoink View Post
no bait allowed here in the carolinas.. dont do it its a big fine. other than that good luck. i love turkey hunting, everybody who says its easy has never been. turkeys are smart! best advice i can give you is dont overcall and dont move! cant tell you the number of times when i was younger i would move only to see a gobbler haulin ass the other way.

actually took the #2 bird in the county for last season. along with another than was right behind him. our farm has decent deer but we grow some massive turkeys. ill get some pics up tonight
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
Carolina Alliance

What are some good turkey calls everyone uses?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #17
06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Look forward to seeing
bird # 2.

bird #1 ^
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #18

trying to get some more to upload, but they aint goin through..

ill try and upload through live

^^bird #2, had 11 7/8" beard, spurs 2 1/4". my biggest bird to date, scored second in the county last season, was 1/8 inch away from winning me a shotgun even though my spurs were bigger than the other guys bird.

^bird #1 again, still a big bird but not as big as the first, 11 1/4" beard right over an inch spurs
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed. Interested in this... Never been before, but it sounds fun. Not sure how the hunting is in SLO but I did see a Tom making a big old racket last year while working on campus at the avocado ranch. So maybe there is somewhere nearby to go. CA season opens in march or so?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #20
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome pictures by the way^^^