Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

reloading bs thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #221
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosiveTendency View Post
First thing, be careful with hot loads. Learned wisdom has taught us to start mild, and work your way up. Checking for signs of over pressure etc as you increase the powder charger. Also, continuously shooting hot loads through a gun could cause problems down the road.
Second thing, I too have also looked into the substitution of primers. I have heard YES, it works well enough. I have also heard NO, don't push the idea. Primers are designed for use in 'X' type of cartridge and leave it be. Personally, I go with what my books tell me.
Lastly, you can easily make a movable reloading set up. Use a solid board to mount your press, powder measure or other equipment to which then you would clamp down to a table or other work bench. Good luck with everything.
I know to be careful with hot loads, I love shooting them, but will mostly load lighter target loads.

They primers I am mainly curious because of how getting primers can be right now, aka if I am desperate to reload some rounds for whatever I might need them for

As for the moveable press, I know I could set it up as portable, but I really want to have a more permanent set up. I wouldn't have my powders or prints there though.

I have just found out that there is a 4 leg stand of heavy steel that looks to be perfect for a press (about 1 ft square on the top) and a metal desk in the metal recycling bin at my work. Im bringing my boss a bucket of fat wood then asking if I can grab them lol. The stand is a little I think so I am gonna sink it into the ground a little bit which will also make it a bit more stable I'm hoping
Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #222
Ct03si is on a distinguished road
Air Force: vehicle maintenance
Ct03si's Tacoma Gallery

my newish reloading bench
Old 06-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #223
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
I know to be careful with hot loads, I love shooting them, but will mostly load lighter target loads.

They primers I am mainly curious because of how getting primers can be right now, aka if I am desperate to reload some rounds for whatever I might need them for

As for the moveable press, I know I could set it up as portable, but I really want to have a more permanent set up. I wouldn't have my powders or prints there though.

I have just found out that there is a 4 leg stand of heavy steel that looks to be perfect for a press (about 1 ft square on the top) and a metal desk in the metal recycling bin at my work. Im bringing my boss a bucket of fat wood then asking if I can grab them lol. The stand is a little I think so I am gonna sink it into the ground a little bit which will also make it a bit more stable I'm hoping
I have no issues getting primers or powder right now. Plenty in my dry box and a local source. A heavy steel bench would be nice, solid.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #224
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Got my press stand, asked my boss and he said i could grab it from the scrap bin. it is shorter than I was planning which means less work for me. This thing is sturdy too, my 260 lbs sitting on it doesn't even flex it. I had to scrub all the grease, dried oil, and paint build up off it before I could paint it (any suggestions for color?

I'm thinking either red, blue, neon zombie green, or match is as close as I can get to my press when I get it next week. Speaking of which, I picked up a tumbler and a set of dies for my .45 colt (RCBS carbide dies)

Got my first set of brass running now.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #225
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct03si View Post

my newish reloading bench
Good grief, that's nice and clean. Mine is also my gunsmithing/electrical/small engine maintenance bench, so I usually have to move 50 lbs of crap before I can load.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #226
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Got my press stand, asked my boss and he said i could grab it from the scrap bin. it is shorter than I was planning which means less work for me. This thing is sturdy too, my 260 lbs sitting on it doesn't even flex it. I had to scrub all the grease, dried oil, and paint build up off it before I could paint it (any suggestions for color?

I'm thinking either red, blue, neon zombie green, or match is as close as I can get to my press when I get it next week. Speaking of which, I picked up a tumbler and a set of dies for my .45 colt (RCBS carbide dies)

Got my first set of brass running now.
A lighter color will make it easier to find that pesky dropped primer or set screw for the locking collars on dies.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #227

Just got done painting it bronze metallic with krylon, found a full can in my closet and decided to use it instead of buying something new, my other choice was fluorescent orange.

I will be topping it with a piece of plywood, it will either just get sanded and varnished (or rubbed with linseed oil) or rough sanded and sprayed with fluorescent orange.

Then I need to find a good desk for working too lol
Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #228
Ct03si is on a distinguished road
Air Force: vehicle maintenance
Ct03si's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Good grief, that's nice and clean. Mine is also my gunsmithing/electrical/small engine maintenance bench, so I usually have to move 50 lbs of crap before I can load.
yeah, my garage bench is a war zone, the basement bench is strictly for gun cleaning and reloading so I try to keep it fairly clean, that pic was actually kinda messy compared to the norm.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #229
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my "new" frankenstein case trimmer. I found a new RCBS power unit at my local gun store marked down to $100. I picked it up thinking I would buy the matching case trimmer, but the Lyman I already had seemed to be similar enough. I had to cut the handle off the shaft and drill and tap the shaft so I could hook up the power unit. So far so good.

Now I just need to figure out where this thing is going to live.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #230
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my workspace. I added the shelves today as I was losing workspace on the desk to components.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
Here's my workspace. I added the shelves today as I was losing workspace on the desk to components.

It is nice and organized. But you are breaking a cardinal rule. Avoid storing powder and primers together. The powder should be in a heavy wood or steel cabinet away from the immediate area. And the primers would best be stored in an ammo can or sealed container of some sorts. As recommended, that's all i'm sayin.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #232

I'm slowly getting set up, got the press, dies, a bench/table, next paycheck I'm getting a reloading manual, scale, and components...anything else I will need?

oh, I'm setting up for running .45 colt, the dies are RCBS carbide dies.

oh, I also have a crap ton of brass and a source for cheap cast bullets.

I've got a big steel desk that I will be setting up on instead of the current bench once I get everything, I'm hoping to reload my .45 colt with blue dot.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #233

does anyone have load data for a 300 grain hornady XTP for .45 colt using winchester 296 powder and CCI 350 primers?

I'v got load data for that powder and primer combo for a sierra 300 grain Jacketed soft point, can I use that? or do I need to worry about differences in the bullet?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #234
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
does anyone have load data for a 300 grain hornady XTP for .45 colt using winchester 296 powder and CCI 350 primers?

I'v got load data for that powder and primer combo for a sierra 300 grain Jacketed soft point, can I use that? or do I need to worry about differences in the bullet?
What type of Revolver you pushing this through? BlackHawk, RedHawk, Freedom Arms? Or is it an older style that can't use +P type loads?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #235

Mid late 80s new model Blackhawk
Old 07-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #236
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Shouldnt be much difference but hornady loads are usually conservative because there bullets are soft. I have a hornady manual and can look it up for you this evening if you like.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #237
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mid late 80s new model Blackhawk
PM me with your email address and I can send you the loads I worked up.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
Shouldnt be much difference but hornady loads are usually conservative because there bullets are soft. I have a hornady manual and can look it up for you this evening if you like.
I've got the .452 xtp mags, would rather have the regular, but these have a thicker copper jacket
Old 07-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #239
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've got the .452 xtp mags, would rather have the regular, but these have a thicker copper jacket
Loads for 45 colt using win296 for Ruger and T/C are
Starting 17.9gr 1050fps
18.7 1100fps
19.4 1150fps
20.2 1200fps
21.0 1250
Max 21.7 1300fps
Test gun was 10" T/C barrel so fps will be less depending on barrel length. Strait from Hornady manual.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #240

Awesome, my local shop didn't have a hornady manual. I've got a good bit of data now from different manuals, I think I can put a load together and see how she shoots.