Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

reloading bs thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #241
pigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pigger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
No problem, may think about good old 2400. My dad had good luck with that and the .45 colt. I believe Win296 and H110 aew the same powder which means its an ass kicker. 4227 was a real pleasant powder to shoot in my .41 mag with good velocity.
I've gotten good results using "Lil Gun with heavier bullets in .41 Magnum. It does not work well with the 170gr Sierra bullets, though; too fluffy. 296 & H110 are always good standbys IMO; I've never tried 4227.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #242
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery

Top: My load: 150 gr SP 38 gr H4895 Bottom: Winchester Factory load 150 gr Sp
Gun: 1952 Savage Model 99
Old 09-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #243
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosiveTendency View Post

Top: My load: 150 gr SP 38 gr H4895 Bottom: Winchester Factory load 150 gr Sp
Gun: 1952 Savage Model 99
.300 Savage?
Old 09-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #244
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
.300 Savage?
Yessir. I forgot to add that in. 300 Savage.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #245
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosiveTendency View Post
Yessir. I forgot to add that in. 300 Savage.
I've always wanted one of those guns.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
I've always wanted one of those guns.
I inherited it from my grandfather. But before that, it was loaned to me by him. I also killed my first deer at 14 with this gun. But memories aside, it is a great shooting gun. And the lines.....sexy for an older woman. If you decide to buy one, there is a serial # list with the year manufactured online, some were better than others. Mine is an "E"
Old 09-30-2013, 02:51 AM   #248

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need both tumblers.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #249
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
You've listed two different cleaning systems, ultrasonic and dry tumbling. You really don't need to do both. The dry tumbling will do everything you need and is cheaper. I also find a lot of craigslist ads for tumblers, so look there as well.

Dry tumbling is a good place to start and will get you reloading quickly. Later on if you want to try the other methods there is ultrasonic or wet tumbling.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #250
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
You've listed two different cleaning systems, ultrasonic and dry tumbling. You really don't need to do both. The dry tumbling will do everything you need and is cheaper. I also find a lot of craigslist ads for tumblers, so look there as well.

Dry tumbling is a good place to start and will get you reloading quickly. Later on if you want to try the other methods there is ultrasonic or wet tumbling.

Good luck.
Agreed on the one or the other. I've always dry tumbled, and to save even more I find crushed walnut shell bedding (for reptile pets and such) at Petsmart. I add a little Brasso to it for polishing- it doesn't do as good a job as task specific crushed corncob, but the brass comes out acceptably clean.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #251
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I use the Lyman tumblr that walmart sells, I just add some nu-finish car polish to the walnut. Make my brass come out pretty nice.

I pick up range brass and sell it whenever I get enough, I have been considering an ultrasonic cleaner to be able to run large numbers of brass through (and the rotary tumbler is too loud for my apartment and is still being run in my parents garage when I go home)

Does anyone have any thoughts on sonic cleaners?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #252
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post

Good luck.
Throw in a couple of used drier liner sheets when you do a load of brass, tumbler or rotary only of course. It collects lots of dust you would otherwise have to dust off or deal with down the road. When you do another load, change the sheets out. You won't believe how dusty they are when you pull them out.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
I use the Lyman tumblr that walmart sells, I just add some nu-finish car polish to the walnut. Make my brass come out pretty nice.

I pick up range brass and sell it whenever I get enough, I have been considering an ultrasonic cleaner to be able to run large numbers of brass through (and the rotary tumbler is too loud for my apartment and is still being run in my parents garage when I go home)

Does anyone have any thoughts on sonic cleaners?
Sonic cleaners work, but like anything have their downsides. I have heard someone say their dog freaked out when they turned theirs on because of the high pitch sound waves. I have read they will not do as well of a job as a dry media tumbler as far as removing carbon. Especially if it is overfilled with brass or the solution is anything less than fresh/new. I have a $25 Midway tumbler bought off craigslist. I put it on the floor, on a piece of carpet and can't hear it from the basement at all. I use walnut for very dirty brass, and corncob with some nu-finish if I want a super shiney polish. Works for me and it holds alot of brass. Just remember to clean the primer holes of media before priming.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
gonna start reloading and the first thing i want to get is something to clean the brass.. can someone confirm that these are the things i need to get my brass clean ready for resize/reload?

1. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/586...cm_vc=wishList

2. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/711...cm_vc=wishList

3. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/711...cm_vc=wishList

4.http://www.midwayusa.com/product/541...vc=sugv1286322

5. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/452...cm_vc=wishList
See my post above regarding tumblers vs ultrasonic cleaners. A tumbler is cheaper and you can use the media way longer than a solution will last with ultrasonic cleaners.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #255
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to give the wet tumbling a spin.

I would be a little closer to getting it setup if it weren't for my Brownell's box showing up empty today. The box should have had five pounds of stainless media and a set of 7.3 series rings in it, but all there was was an empty container for the media. I called Brownells and they're sending me a replacement order. They also asked if the box had been damaged. I told them it looked intact. They then asked what kind of tape was on the box. When I told them it was clear packing tape they told me that UPS had repackaged the shipment. Brownells uses brown tape. So it appears that someone at UPS helped themselves to the contents of the box. I say that because there weren't any pieces of media hanging around like you would expect to find if the package split open. I hope the guy enjoys the media and the scope rings that 99% of people will never use.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #256
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tried to reload brass shot shells?

I keep coming across it and every time I do I want to try. Seems like the shells would last forever
Old 10-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #257
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
Alright so im going to go with the dry tumbler

Tumbler - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/711...cm_vc=wishList

Corn Cob Media - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/212...vc=subv1413893

Walnut Media (for super dirty brass) - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/411...ubv12124116413

Brass Polish - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/212...ugv12124110664

Would i need anything else?? Separator to make things easier? I don't have anything yet for reloading so this will be the start of things.. Is there anything else i need to get to clean out the brass?? something to deprime it?

thanks for the help!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #258

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
I deprimed my brass before I tumbled it only once. The media did a good job of packing into the primer pocket, what a pain to get out. The pockets weren't clean either. With that being said, tumble with the spent primer intact.

Since you're just getting started I wouldn't bother with any of the primer pocket reamers or cleaners. If you're dealing with once fired brass you can deprime and prime without doing anything to the primer pocket. As you go along you can experiment with the different specialty tools that are meant to deal with the primer pocket and see how it changes things.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #259
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
If I was able to start from scratch again I'd get a Thumlers rotary tumbler with stainless media. It gets brass super clean and bright. About $200 for the tumbler & media but you never have to replace the media.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #260
4508js is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: K-9 / Patrol
4508js's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=AsianAnts;7510099]Alright so im going to go with the dry tumbler

Tumbler - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/711...cm_vc=wishList

Corn Cob Media - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/212...vc=subv1413893

Walnut Media (for super dirty brass) - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/411...ubv12124116413

Brass Polish - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/212...ugv12124110664

Would i need anything else?? Separator to make things easier? I don't have anything yet for reloading so this will be the start of things.. Is there anything else i need to get to clean out the brass?? something to deprime it?

thanks for the help![/]

I highly suggest getting a rotary case media separator, especially if you're going to use two different medias with only one tumbler. I have the RCBS separator and it is well worth the $35 it cost, especially after using your hands to separate lol.