1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reloading BS thread

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 95 taco, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Oct 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    Don't overfill the tumbler with media OR brass.

2. Oct 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    ok :)

3. Oct 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    Add polish and let run for a few minutes so it doesnt clump up and gets evenly distrbuted. Then add brass. Trying to get clumps of polish and media out of those primer pockets is a real pita. Depending on what kind of media pieces can get stuck in flash hole so check all of them as you pull them out. A pick is handy to punch the pieces out. 2 or 3 hrs and should be pretty clean depending on how bad they are to start with.

4. Oct 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    a pick? can you link me one?

5. Oct 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    TACO TX

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
  6. Oct 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
  7. Oct 24, 2013 at 4:13 AM
    TACO TX

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Cheap is good, most of the time i use a large sewing needle, lol

8. Oct 24, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    Paper clip. Save your money for stuff that you need....like bullets and powder.

9. Oct 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    so this pick is to punch the primer out?? or just to pick out the media.. do i tumble with the old primer in?

10. Oct 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    I deprime before tumbling, many do not. The primer is removed at the press on the decapping station. Or a dedicated deprimer device. The prick (I've always known them as a machinist scribe) is NOT used to deprime but clean out media. Or toothpick, paper clip, pipe cleaners, piano wire or what ever you happen to have handy.

11. Oct 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    TACO TX

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    I polish both ways, i clean before i size. Makes sizing rifle or pistol much easier on you and your dies. If im loading a rifle cartridge i throw them back in to get the lube off.

12. Oct 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    I have been reloading for quite some time now, actually over 40 years. The "recommended" way to do the brass cleaning was to remove the primer and let the primer pocket get cleaned up some which leads to the hole getting plugged with media. It was then "recommended to further clean the primer pocket with some sort of primer pocket tool.

It has been my experience that doing the "recommended" way enlarges the primer pocket prematurely and leads to loose primers which can jam the weapon. I do not clean the primer pocket ever, at all. That little tad bit of residue doesn't hurt a thing. If there is any cleaning media stuck in the hole after tumbling them the decapper pin pushes it out with the spent primer.

I know there may be a lot of folks who will disagree with me over this but 40 years of experience is hard to beat. At one point I started to think I might be reloading too much. I could tell the maker of the brass from the bullet seating pressure needed to seat the bullet. I have reloaded thousands of 45 ACP's with a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker press. So if you are planning on using those cases a long time, you might want to reconsider even cleaning the primer pockets. :)

13. Oct 25, 2013 at 3:07 AM
    TACO TX

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    I dont have near the experience as you do, but i have to say, cleaning or uniforming the primer pocket only increases the depth of the pocket by mere thousandths , not the circumfrence so i dont believe it enlarges the pocket. By uniforming the pocket you allow the new primer to seat flush or just under. A factory primer and a reloaders primer are not the same. I uniform the pockets the first time and clean them there after.

14. Nov 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
  15. Nov 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    Anyone have a collet bullet puller with a 22 cal. collet for sale? Or loan? Loaded 50 rounds of 222 with fucking Rem 6 1/2 primers instead of 7 1/2's........Don't want to risk pierced primers.

16. Nov 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    TACO TX

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Just get a block of wood and your kinetic puller. One good wack and presto!

17. Nov 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    That requires me to touch the powder to retrieve the bullet. Also, has a tendency to scatter powder everywhere. Too much noise, we have a quiet house. Do I have enough excuses? lol

18. Nov 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    Gear Head

Gear Head Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    fj60 front, fj80 rear, full hydro, 5.29's, welded, twin sticked 2.28/4.70 duals, 39.5's, inboarded 63's
  19. Nov 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    the rock chucker is an awesome press, it is what I use. I am by no means an expert, but I am confident that I would never need another press after buying my rockchucker (I may get a progressive press eventually, but that is another matter).

I am in school for machining and have micrometers and calipers, I have found that you really don't need micrometers for any but the most precision loads. you are just fine with calipers.

My rockchucker came with a priming tool installed. it is not the best primer tool in the world, but it works. A scale is very important, I would recomend getting a digital, they are much faster if you are going to be loading pistol cartidges.

beyond that, there will be more people who can tell you more soon.

20. Nov 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    Get a reload kit. I got a single station Lee and it came with the press, balance (scale), powder dispenser, primer dispenser to use on the press. I had to get shell holders, die kit, and length gauge trimmer/chamfer tool to complete the set and start reloading. There's also turret presses if you plan on reloading a lot of ammo but they do take time to set up. Most important is to get at least one good reloading book. I like Lyman's 49th edition reloading manual but there are a few others that are good. Compare prices at midway, titian reloading, Natchez, and Cabela's for your gear. You'll also want a bullet puller and a good set of Vernier calipers. For cleaning, a lot of guys use tumbling. I'm more of a fan of liquid cleaning via ultrasonics or even just rolling in a container.
    Here's two that are a little less and, I feel, are just as good
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/42...reech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit
    Or
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
To Top