Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

reloading bs thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 AM   #381
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
That is what I was planning, but other than that do I need to worry about anything?
Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #382
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
The reason you get different results is because .556 brass is generally thicker therefore you have less case capacity which causes higher pressures. Just be sure and stick to loads specific to AR-15's. Dont use data designed for bolt guns in .556 brass in your AR. Or you can decrease rifle data by 10%.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #383
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok, I'll make sure I
Using AR data, I am gonna have to clean and sort my brass first, so it may be a while before I start loadin
Old 03-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #384
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #385
nomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to behold
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
The reason you get different results is because .556 brass is generally thicker therefore you have less case capacity which causes higher pressures. Just be sure and stick to loads specific to AR-15's. Dont use data designed for bolt guns in .556 brass in your AR. Or you can decrease rifle data by 10%.
Hornady is one of the few the publishes 5.56 specific loads. If you AR is stamped to run .223/5.56 than you can run either but you need to make sure you are using a .223 load in your .223 brass and 5.56 load in your 5.56 brass. If the .556 is mil surplus brass you will have to remove the crimp in the primer pocket before seating the new primer.

You can use the .223 dies for loading 5.56 since the outside case dimensions and bullet dimensions are the same. The difference as stated before is that 5.56 brass has thicker case walls.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #386
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I tried the "flipping the bullet seat die over" method and don't see how that could work. I put it back together and decided to get a separate die to crimp. I have the Hornady Lock-n-Load system, so I don't want to adjust every time.

I finally got my crimp die for the .44. It's amazing what .002" difference makes. The cases all fit flawlessly now.

Now I just gotta get to the range and test .

Thanks to all who provided advice!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #387
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTaco View Post
I tried the "flipping the bullet seat die over" method and don't see how that could work. I put it back together and decided to get a separate die to crimp. I have the Hornady Lock-n-Load system, so I don't want to adjust every time.

I finally got my crimp die for the .44. It's amazing what .002" difference makes. The cases all fit flawlessly now.

Now I just gotta get to the range and test .

Thanks to all who provided advice!
Yeah its not the bullet seating stem, its the expander that you flip over to be used as a crimp. That is my fault, I think I said it was the seating die that does dual purpose. My mistake, its the expander die. If u take it apart u will see immediatly. Good luck, stay safe.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #388
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosiveTendency View Post
Yeah its not the bullet seating stem, its the expander that you flip over to be used as a crimp. That is my fault, I think I said it was the seating die that does dual purpose. My mistake, its the expander die. If u take it apart u will see immediatly. Good luck, stay safe.
Oh well, that's alright. The instructions that came with them didn't say anything about the expander being used as a crimp. I now have the new die and don't have to worry about readjusting each time.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #389
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the Hornady Lock-n-Load system, so I don't want to adjust every time.
Ugh - can I pay you to come over and set mine up? I've had the AP progressive for months and haven't opened the box.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:36 AM   #390

Quote:
Oh well, that's alright. The instructions that came with them didn't say anything about the expander being used as a crimp. I now have the new die and don't have to worry about readjusting each time.
A strait wall cartridge die should be easy. The 44 mag, just lower the press arm all the way and turn the die down till it touches ur shell holder plus another 1/8th turn. You want to feel a little cam over with a case in.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #391
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cowboy, did you get a carbide die set or just plain steel? I know you "don't" have to use lube on straight wall pistol cases but when you get into 44-50 caliber the resistance can add up over time. I discovered with my 45 Colt cases that if I take the case and hold it at an angle and just roll it over my lube pad to place maybe 1/16" worth of lube at the top it makes the sizing pressure drop to almost nothing! The phrase hot butter comes to mind....It doesn't take very long to wipe that little bit of lube off and to me it is worth it because it lowers the sizing pressure on the handle dramatically.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #392

Has anyone every reloaded Berlin primed brass with berdan primers?

I just got ahold of a Swiss k31 straight pull rifle in 7.5x55. I can get really good ammo for around 50-60 cents per round but they are brass cased berdan primed (good quality brass and not corrosive just berdan primed) and I think I have found a source for berdan primers for like 160 for 5000. I can get an rcbs berdan decapper
Old 03-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
Has anyone every reloaded Berlin primed brass with berdan primers?

I just got ahold of a Swiss k31 straight pull rifle in 7.5x55. I can get really good ammo for around 50-60 cents per round but they are brass cased berdan primed (good quality brass and not corrosive just berdan primed) and I think I have found a source for berdan primers for like 160 for 5000. I can get an rcbs berdan decapper
Google it up. I always thought berdan primed ammo was not reloadable.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #394
x2
Old 03-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #395

I have been, that is why I asked. It is seeming like once you get them decapped and have berdan primers it seems like you run it the same, I'm just not certain and figured I'd ask
Old 03-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #396
Luckily everything I have is boxer primed.

let us know if you are able to successfully do it.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #397
If anyone is in the DFW area and is interested in the Hornady Lock-n-Load conversion piece, I have two of them. I'm keeping the bushings, but you can have the adapter pieces for free.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/858...on-bushing-kit

Or if not local, you pay shipping.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:40 AM   #398

Dont berdan primed cases have 2 flash holes? How do uou align the primer to the holes?
Old 03-20-2014, 04:59 AM   #399

They also have the anvil built into the casing, nothing to align
Old 03-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Ugh - can I pay you to come over and set mine up? I've had the AP progressive for months and haven't opened the box.
Sorry I missed this before. I have the single stage press. I actually waited a few months before setting mine up too. I don't know why I was intimidated by it. Just get it out and you'll be surprised at how simple everything is to setup.