Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

reloading bs thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #41
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
And a few good reloading manuals.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #42
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
One of your most important tools...
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #43
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
And a few good reloading manuals.
I was told to get two so you can cross reference and double check to make sure you dont mess anything up.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #44
The lice...they hate the sugar
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ted
Richard Cranium's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
I was told to get two so you can cross reference and double check to make sure you dont mess anything up.
Certainly couldn't hurt anything?

Now to find somewhere that actually has brass/bullets in stock!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #45
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Any gun shows coming up?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #46
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762NateOh View Post
I think I'm going to get into this reloading thing...I'm pissed I didn't a long time ago, as it seems easier to stockpile components than loaded ammunition.

Going to go with a single stage to start off with, and truthfully, will probably stick with it. Plan on just loading 3-400 a month, or whatever I end up shooting.

Just ordered 10k small rifle primers and 3k small pistol. Plan on mostly loading 5.56/9mm.
I'm tempted to start doing the same thing, only in smaller quantities. I'd just like to do it for a few simple reasons. One, something to do. Two, pride in doing something yourself. Third, limited availability of ammo currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
.38/.357
.223/5.56
.257 Weatherby Mag
9mm
45 ACP
30-30
30-06
7mm Rem Mag

I think that's all
These are the one's I'd be interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06indigoink View Post
Been thinkin about it myself here lately with ammo becoming damn near impossible to find
Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
When it comes to reloading, Workman uses a handheld Lee Loader. A cheap, very portable, very effective, and proven way to reload ammo. Workman likes the old school nature of Lee Loaders.

Workman reloads his .223, .243, 7mm, .357mag, and 30-06 all using different Lee Loader kits. They are handheld, and can pretty much fit in any back pocket. It takes Workman around a minute per shell to reload any of these calibers. Not fast enough for some folks. When it takes that long to reload a shell though, you make that one count during practice or hunting. Workman took his Elk this year using a 30-06 shell he reloaded by hand, damn that felt good. Workman's Lee loaded ammo is way better than anything you buy off the shelf.

Workman grew up around bench loaders, and finds them great if you have the space and are in a permanent spot. They are much faster, and easier to reload with. Workman gets more satisfaction out of pounding out ammo on Lee Loader though. Check em out sometime.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #47
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Who wants to go in with me?!

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD
Old 01-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #48

Marines:
13 tons of spent brass
Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #49

Quote:
13 tons of spent brass
approx 1,890,000 rounds @ $59000 = 3.1cents/rd
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #50

Marines:
That's a steal!!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #51
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
This kit was ~$115 before Christmas... I now feel like I should have bought it.

Any thoughts on it? Even at this price?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104516280
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #52
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
wow! When I was active duty I had to take a metric shit ton of brass to the recycling center on base. All 9mm and 5.56.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #53
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Yeah, at least two. You will find load data will vary slightly between them.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #54

Do I need a shell holder for both the press and the priming tool? Would the same shell holder work for either one? Both the press and priming tool are RCBS
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #55

Marines:
Yes, one works for both with respect to RCBS
Old 01-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #56

Thanks. Ive got a handfull of shell holders. I just need to check and see what the #'s on them are...

I found someone local that is going to buy all my 7mm08 reloading stuff so that will give me some funds to work with to get the equipment I need.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #57
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
So add in this...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456...-223-remington

and this...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/786187?cm_vc=S014

and one would be totally ready to reload, correct?
You're getting there. The crimp die you linked to only crimps a bullet after it's seated. It's a good thing to have for AR reloading though!

The shellholer set you linked to is only needed if you buy die sets that don't include shellholders. Lee dies are cheap and work fine for everything but precision work, and they do include shellholders.

Something like this would have your full-length die and your crimp die, as well as the proper shellholder, all in one set, for cheap.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/434...-223-remington

98taco is right - calipers of some type are a must as well. Really any garage or shop needs a set of calipers though, so I assume if you're the type of guy who wants to reload, you already have calipers, lol.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #58
Turning the knob from H2 to H4/L4
Poke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to all

Poke Tako's Tacoma Gallery
I too recently got interested in reloading. I should have saved all of my spent brass cases that I shot at the range in the past.
I recently bought the Hornady Lock-N-Load classic kit along with Lee die bushings (.45ACP, 30-06). IMO it's a good starter kit for a noob like myself.
I still need to get a case tumbler. I was looking at the Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ. Any other recommendations?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/414...rator-110-volt

Also I still need to get a case trimmer. I was looking at the Lyman Universal Trimmer so I can attach my power drill to it. Any other recommendations?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/720...r-and-9-pilots
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 AM   #59
Turning the knob from H2 to H4/L4
Poke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to allPoke Tako is a name known to all

Poke Tako's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One of your most important tools...
Damn, I still need to get one of those but digital.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:21 AM   #60
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

Army: E Co, 4-3 ADA BN Executive Officer
Name: Michael
mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTaco View Post
This kit was ~$115 before Christmas... I now feel like I should have bought it.

Any thoughts on it? Even at this price?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104516280
Damn, I think you should have jumped on it. I ended up buying a RCBS kit from one of the guys in my unit.