Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

help me choose a dog

Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #41
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #42
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #43
Pro Tech
SaveAHoRideATACO is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 15th Security Police Squadron, Hickam AFB, Hawaii '91-'94
SaveAHoRideATACO's Tacoma Gallery
My uncle has a silver lab he uses for duck hunting. That dog is awesome with the family kids and all and is cool to watch work when hunting. His is a female and she is one great looking dog as well. Until he got her, I had never even heard of the silver labs.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #44
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL

Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #45
bucktales has a spectacular aura aboutbucktales has a spectacular aura about

bucktales's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful Viz!
Always liked that breed. I had friends in Europe that had a Wirehaired Viz. Great hunter and relatively unknown breed in the states.

A breed to consider for the OP is a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Often called "the 4 wheel drive of hunting dogs", they are at home in a duck blind or upland.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #46
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL

This is what We live for...
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #47
motoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant future
motoxer311's Tacoma Gallery
Pitbull! Oh and screw buying from breeders, SAVE a dog.. There's a ton of dogs out there that need a home..
Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #48

I have a very soft spot for Gordons.
These guys were a casualty of a divorce. They were "seized" by the ex, never to hunt again.
Euro standard, brought back from Germany.
I miss them every day...
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #49

Double.
Old school tail straight out on point...

Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #50
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.sight.picture View Post
I would get a german shorthaired pointer.
ABSOLUTELY. These are GREAT gods. Have had a number of them.

Buy from a reputable breeder, and meet both of the parents to get an IDEA for the temperament of your future dog.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #51
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
Small Munsterlander.

Demeanor of a lab/golden ret. but hunts (extremely versatile (water/land)) like a German short hair/English setter, unless your into the schizo demeanor that most g short hairs I've come across have... Not sure I would hunt a small muster in 110 heat though or any dog for that matter... Very smart, driven and compassionate companion!

~M
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #52
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
I second GSP see my avatar. Mines a female 8 months old now and I love her! She is just as advertised smart, loving and can go all day. I've seen GSPs hunt every type of bird out there, of course I'm biased. Good luck finding what you want and I hope it all works out for you as it did me.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #53
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Get a rescue mutt.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #54
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
<---oh yeah my dog can read
But does he have a Facebook page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post

beautiful dog by the way.
Thank you.

P.S. Full grown:
Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #55
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
jim, beautiful dogs, i'll look into them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktales View Post
Beautiful Viz!
Always liked that breed. I had friends in Europe that had a Wirehaired Viz. Great hunter and relatively unknown breed in the states.

A breed to consider for the OP is a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Often called "the 4 wheel drive of hunting dogs", they are at home in a duck blind or upland.
thanks for the info, i'll look them up
Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
Small Munsterlander.

Demeanor of a lab/golden ret. but hunts (extremely versatile (water/land)) like a German short hair/English setter, unless your into the schizo demeanor that most g short hairs I've come across have... Not sure I would hunt a small muster in 110 heat though or any dog for that matter... Very smart, driven and compassionate companion!

~M
i'll look them up, thanks. and i wouldn't hunt with them when it's that hot but it gets that hot at our house so i wouldn't want him to have health issues because of the heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAggie View Post
I second GSP see my avatar. Mines a female 8 months old now and I love her! She is just as advertised smart, loving and can go all day. I've seen GSPs hunt every type of bird out there, of course I'm biased. Good luck finding what you want and I hope it all works out for you as it did me.
very pretty dog, thanks.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #56
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamineagle68w View Post
Chesapeake bay retrievers..look em up
This x1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterkx2fiddy View Post
Awsome dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
didn't see your post till now, i googled them and they're awesome dogs,
the only thing that bugs me about them is this, "Many Labs–which are wonderful dogs, by the way–will often frolic and play and try to be everyone’s best friend. Not so the Chessie. Although there are exceptions, they are probably more likely to be more reserved or standoffish among strangers."

EDIT: also this "Training a Chesapeake can be challenging."
We've had 3 of them. Best dogs I've ever encountered. Yes, they are stubborn, but once they are trained they are awesome. They are super friendly, and incredibly tough. Their skin/coats are meant for freezing cold water, and will never give up on a hunt. Super loyal/protective as well.

But like I said, stubborn. But a little training turns them into one of the best hunting/family dogs out there.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #57
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
x2 or a belgium malinois
This is what i want!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #58
gundog is on a distinguished road
Name: kris
gundog's Tacoma Gallery
labs make the best waterfowl dog they are the best. i got three now and one on the way. would never hunt with another breed of dog.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:51 AM   #59
RansomFTW has a spectacular aura aboutRansomFTW has a spectacular aura aboutRansomFTW has a spectacular aura about

RansomFTW's Tacoma Gallery
Ive heard that a Vizsla/lab mix is the ultimate bird dog. I personally have been looking at flat coated retrievers lately.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #60
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: LUKE
F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxer311 View Post
Pitbull! Oh and screw buying from breeders, SAVE a dog.. There's a ton of dogs out there that need a home..
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Get a rescue mutt.
I agree with these guys. Thousands of dogs need homes. I am partial to American Pitbull Terriers, but not ideal for birding/hunting, unless your hunting hogs of course.