Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

help me choose a dog

Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 AM   #61
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I know this thread is a bit old but I just saw what you narrowed it to. My neighbor has a german shorthair for hunting and she has got to be the fastest dog I have ever seen.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #62
ivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ivoryaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Get what makes you happy. Two dogs of the same breed sometimes fight the worst (that's just experience and not science talking) And of course if you get a lab mix, it will likely be less prone to allergies and will still deliver the qualities you are looking for. I'm a Border Collie/McNab guy, so no real experience with bird dogs, but lotsa dog experience nevertheless.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #63
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
i sorta forgot about this thread
a family member knew that i was looking for a pup and he was talking to one of his workers and he has a black lab puppy (6 week old, male) for $200.

the mother is a full blooded (and papered) chocolate lab, the father is a labrador retriever, and golden retriever (i think) mix.
i'm looking at the one on the right
Old 03-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #64
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I have both a black lab, and a GSP. I don't hunt anything except upland game. The labs do fine as flush dogs, you just have to be able to keep the in close. The gsp is more fun to hunt behind because of his intensity and energy, he is also a great retriever. The lab its just kind of happy go lucky, not a lot of prey drive in mine(I blame myself for leash training him which I will never leash train another gun dog ever.), but once the bird his the ground he's second to none. My dad hunts upland with 2 black labs, they both have tons of prey drive and retrieve like crazy.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #65
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Those pups are cute as hell. Good luck Jason!

T.J. I don't think leash training a gun dog is a bad thing. And I don't think it messes with their ability to hunt. I do think a good hunting dog comes from a line of hunters and not necessarily family pet stock.

Riley has great prey drive and he loves to retrieve. On the other hand, my buddy's dog would just as soon take a nap. She's a great dog just doesn't give two shits about retrieving--and it's not for a lack of trying either
Old 03-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #66
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys, my sister is bringing him home tomorrow, i decided to name him ruger.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #67
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Cute pup.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #68
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
pit bull would be almost, if not completely useless for hunting, wold it not?
APBT was originally bred for hunting, they would hunt bear and wild boar. To this day still make great boar hunting dogs, a game bred APBT not a short stocky 90lb back yard bred bully. Big difference.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #69
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
APBT was originally bred for hunting, they would hunt bear and wild boar. To this day still make great boar hunting dogs, a game bred APBT not a short stocky 90lb back yard bred bully. Big difference.
interesting, i didn't know that.

here's my pup at ~5 1/2 months (sorry for the crappy pic, i'll get a better one tomorrow)
Attached Thumbnails
help me choose a dog-img_8869-1.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #70
gundog is on a distinguished road
Name: kris
gundog's Tacoma Gallery
my 6 year old lab gunner and his boy 10 week old trigger
Attached Thumbnails
help me choose a dog-trigger.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #71
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
i dont hunt with a dog..but i have a golden retreiver/irish setter mix his coat is the same color as my nephews hair

Old 05-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #72
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundog View Post
they're so pretty!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmodel65 View Post
i dont hunt with a dog..but i have a golden retreiver/irish setter mix his coat is the same color as my nephews hair

aawwww, i love irish setters.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #73
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundog View Post

ha i didnt read this post but my dog is also named Trigger the girl i got him from named him
Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #74
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.sight.picture View Post
I would get a german shorthaired pointer.
^ THIS

Best damn dog breed you'll ever own. I've been training hunting dogs since I was a boy and the German Shorthair is by far the best tempered and easily trainable breed I have delt with. They also are very hardy and have great endurance.

Health problems are few, and hip dysplasia is very rare (5-8%).

Males typically have less health issues, and check their eyes thoroughly for the first year of its life. Catching any problems early is a lot better for the dog and your wallet.

I will tell you that you need to keep them entertained with training. If they get bored, they will find entertainment on their own. Which is usually bad for all involved. Give him lots of exercise.

EDIT:
Oops, too late! Well, here's for anyone else interested.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #75
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
ruger chilling

Old 05-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #76
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittany_(dog)
Old 05-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #77
Does not suffer fools lightly
linzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud of

Name: Linzy
linzy77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

EDIT: #2 i think i narrowed it down to a german short haired pointer/ lab mix, or
a lab.

That's what I went with. My other is a pointer mix and I really wanted a pointer/lab mix. Black one is pointer/lab, white one is pointer/whippit? we are not sure but we think that's what he is with a few more thrown in.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #78
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
English setter
was waiting for it.. Post #5 ftmfw!

Best bird hunting dog on the planet. Get a pup from hunting parents and be happy.

Edit: Looks like you already got a good pup, I didn't realize this thread was so old.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #79
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
was waiting for it.. Post #5 ftmfw!

Best bird hunting dog on the planet. Get a pup from hunting parents and be happy.

Edit: Looks like you already got a good pup, I didn't realize this thread was so old.
Yeah all great recommendations. Ended up going with the blue tick because the only real dog hunting within an hour of me is bear, coons, and water fowl.

Just an update dog has really turned out to be a good one. Hasn't been doing as good hunting as she was a few months ago. But that's my fault as I haven't been taking her out much because you can't see anything in the trees due to foliage.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #80
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks guys, my sister is bringing him home tomorrow, i decided to name him ruger.
Seen you had some pictures of him chilling in the kiddie pool. Is he swimming yet? My dog loves to get in the water but won't swim!!!! Any helpful tips?