Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

help me choose a dog

Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
help me choose a dog

i'm looking for a dog that will be happy to go out and go duck and upland bird hunting with me, and be a good companion for our 10 month old chocolate lab.

i would like a decent size dog, not to hard to train, and not gun shy, it'll probably be a girl.

my cousin has a pure bred black lab and she's a beautiful dog but she's gun shy, his brother has a lab/german shorthair pointer mix and she loves to fetch and we took her bird hunting and she pointed a couple of times instead of just flushing.

anyway, hit me with some suggestions.

EDIT: it also needs to be able to survive in a temperature range of about 30-110 degrees.

EDIT: #2 i think i narrowed it down to a german short haired pointer/ lab mix, or
a lab.

got a puppy, named him ruger.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
i'm looking for a dog that will be happy to go out and go duck and upland bird hunting with me, and be a good companion for our 10 month old chocolate lab.

i would like a decent size dog, not to hard to train, and not gun shy, it'll probably be a girl.

my cousin has a pure bred black lab and she's a beautiful dog but she's gun shy, his brother has a lab/german shorthair pointer mix and she loves to fetch and we took her bird hunting and she pointed a couple of times instead of just flushing.

anyway, hit me with some suggestions.
I would get a german shorthaired pointer.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
International Jewel Thief
Drummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Michael
Drummer0247's Tacoma Gallery
German Shepherds FTW... prolly wont make a great hunting dog but they are awesome...just saying! CHEERS!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.sight.picture View Post
I would get a german shorthaired pointer.
maybe a GSP mix but from what i've read they don't do well in water that's under ~ 60 or so degree's and the water out here is usually colder than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomagirl02 View Post
What about getting another lab? I have 2 and they are the best, or are you wanting a diff breed of dog?
i like labs but i don't know how well they do with upland bird, from the little bit of research i'm doing right now, golden retrievers will retrieve and point.
but so will a chocolate or black lab GSP mix.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer0247 View Post
German Shepherds FTW... prolly wont make a great hunting dog but they are awesome...just saying! CHEERS!
x2 or a belgium malinois
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
maybe a GSP mix but from what i've read they don't do well in water that's under ~ 60 or so degree's and the water out here is usually colder than that.

i like labs but i don't know how well they do with upland bird, from the little bit of research i'm doing right now, golden retrievers will retrieve and point.
but so will a chocolate or black lab GSP mix.
Then the mix id go for. But finding that specific mix may be harder than finding the actual pedigree. I would get the gsp, and get him a coat
Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
.45%er

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
x2 or a belgium malinois
malis are great, but not so much for hunting imo. And a mali is going to be my next dog
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
Weimaraner! Gorgeous Breed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
English setter
seems that both of these breeds don't like cold weather, sucks 'cause there both pretty dogs.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
malis are great, but not so much for hunting imo. And a mali is going to be my next dog
A mali is great for hunting...armed men that is..lol. but they are great dogs. Very athletic and extremely smart. I kept my retired mali and replaced him with a GSD. Love my GSD but can never replace a Mali..
Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
.45%er

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
A mali is great for hunting... men that is..lol. but they are great dogs. Very athletic and extremely smart. I kept my retired mali and replaced him with a GSD. Love my GSD but can never replace a Mali..
fify
Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
i think i'm gonna get a lab/GSP mix.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
.45%er

Army:
Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Gsp's are good for birds in the field but not the greatest for waterfowl. Labs are awsome partners and awsome for waterfowl. Vizslas (think that's how it's spelt) are great for the field as well. When you want a dog to do multiple types of hunting it is all on training the dog. Train it well and it will be strong in all areas. There are several breeds that will do what you want. I'm sure whichever choice you make you will be pleased with its capabilities. Good luck and put some pics in the dog thread when you get one.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
that looks a lot like our puppy.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
whoareyou133 is on a distinguished road
whoareyou133's Tacoma Gallery
I have a pointer/dalamatian she loves to hunt around and the dalamatian part of her stands the cold, then again I'm in so cal so I guess we don't see real cold ^_^ pointer mix all the way!!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterkx2fiddy View Post
Gsp's are good for birds in the field but not the greatest for waterfowl. Labs are awsome partners and awsome for waterfowl. Vizslas (think that's how it's spelt) are great for the field as well. When you want a dog to do multiple types of hunting it is all on training the dog. Train it well and it will be strong in all areas. There are several breeds that will do what you want. I'm sure whichever choice you make you will be pleased with its capabilities. Good luck and put some pics in the dog thread when you get one.
thanks for the info, we have a dvd for training your retriever that i'm gonna learn forwards and backwards, and i'll talk to my cousins(they trained there own dogs).

here's the pro's and cons from my research.

chocolate and black labs: pro's, great retriever, friendly, trainable.
cons: when upland bird hunting they tend to flush instead of point.

lab/GSP: pro's, good retriever, friendly, good upland bird dog.
cons: not as easy to come by, smaller than a lab(?)

not sure of the trainability of the lab/GSP.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoareyou133 View Post
I have a pointer/dalamatian she loves to hunt around and the dalamatian part of her stands the cold, then again I'm in so cal so I guess we don't see real cold ^_^ pointer mix all the way!!
never would've thought of that combo, i'm in so cal to.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Golden Retriever, find one from a breeder that deals in 'field lines', not 'show lines'...same breed...very different dogs...

<-----See my avitar, that is my dog, Daisy. She is from field lines. best dogs in the world and will do anything you ask of them. Very hearty dogs too...cold, what cold? Does well in the summer heat and humidity too. Talk about smart, as well...more intelligent than many people I've come across
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #20
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
Golden Retriever, find one from a breeder that deals in 'field lines', not 'show lines'...same breed...very different dogs...

<-----See my avitar, that is my dog, Daisy. She is from field lines. best dogs in the world and will do anything you ask of them
thanks for the info, i'll make sure to look into that.

that's a beautiful dog.