Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

What have you bought in the last 48 hours gun related?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #21
NvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Jeff
NvrSumR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pra4sno View Post
^ Its stamped on the slide.
That's what I get for posting from my phone.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #22
EATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mark
EATABULLETcom's Tacoma Gallery
as a non handgun owner, i would like some advice from yall about what i should get for some under the pillow protection? i have shotguns and rifles, just never owned a handgun. something light with little recoil..
Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #24
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Only you.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by EATABULLETcom View Post
as a non handgun owner, i would like some advice from yall about what i should get for some under the pillow protection? i have shotguns and rifles, just never owned a handgun. something light with little recoil..

Can make that decision. Do your research, go to gunshops and ranges, try and fire the handguns YOU feel comfortable with. You will know which one is the right one for you.

The more time you spend at the range, the better you will be with whatever you select.

As to caliber, "someone" once said one hit with a .22 is better than 13 misses with a 9mm................
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
EATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mark
EATABULLETcom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
Can make that decision. Do your research, go to gunshops and ranges, try and fire the handguns YOU feel comfortable with. You will know which one is the right one for you.

The more time you spend at the range, the better you will be with whatever you select.

As to caliber, "someone" once said one hit with a .22 is better than 13 misses with a 9mm................
very sound advice thankyou. this is what i will do.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
and typically a 380 is not going to be light on the recoil because they come packaged in very small lightweight pocket pistols

the gun you use for the bedside should be the one you can pick up and instinctively be able to aim without sights
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
and typically a 380 is not going to be light on the recoil because they come packaged in very small lightweight pocket pistols

the gun you use for the bedside should be the one you can pick up and instinctively be able to aim without sights
Very true. I suggest going to the range and trying some full size 9mm pistols such as the M&P 9.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #28
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure2Comply View Post
Very true. I suggest going to the range and trying some full size 9mm pistols such as the M&P 9.
x2, if the recoils to much but the guns comfy to shoot and hold most manufacturers make 22 versions of there guns, or theirs a conversion keit for them.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #30
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the Body Guard for the Bride and she loves it. She couldn't shoot the 38 snubby now they have some kick. The other thing she keeps next to the bed is bee/hornet spray. It sprays 25' and a faceful will give her more time to react if need be
Old 01-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #31
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Light with little recoil (and effective ammo) is a contradiction.

My wife got a Ruger LCR. 14oz "snubnose", .38spl.
Thing kicked like a mule.

She now has a 92FS, 9mm. MUCH less recoil, but it's a lot heavier.
A good compromise is a Glock or Springfield XD. Polymer frame, but still large enough and being semi-auto helps with recoil.

My Glock 26 (compact 9mm) probably kicks about the same as my fullsize 1911 .45ACP

The difference in a "pillow gun" (and I'd keep it in the nightstand, not the pillow) is that physical size is not the concern that it is for concealed carry. Ergonomics and ease of operation are paramount.

Remember, when things go bump in the night, you're going to be scared shitless. Your hands are going to be shaking. You will have no fine motor control. If your gun is not loaded, it is not going to be loaded. If it is not chambered, you are not going to find out until you pull the trigger and nothing happens. If it is on "safe", you are going to take precious seconds figuring out how to release it.

A revolver is the safest bet for a bedside gun, but a revolver kicks a lot more than a semi-auto, and you're only looking at 5 or 6 shots.
You are NOT going to physically be able to reload it.
Also keep in mind that in an average police situation, out of every 10 rounds fired, only 2-3 hit the suspect.
Shooting at an intruder in your home is totally different from shooting paper at the range.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #32
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
XDM 9mm 3.8

Old 01-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #33
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
yeah i was thinking 22 or 9
9mm minimum.

San Bernardino County used to refuse to list anything smaller than 9mm (or .38spl) on a concealed carry permit (California only allows you to carry the guns listed on your permit). Showing up for class with a .32 or a .22 often resulted in denial of issue.

Yes, a .22 nearly killed President Reagan, but I would not trust a .22 to protect me against an intruder.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #35
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Rich you make a good point about recoil and weight being related. I took a fellow member to the range to shoot. He enjoyed my 45 and said it had less kick than a friends 40. That being said my 45 is heavy it is a Smith4516
Old 01-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #36
Ridendirtywhips will become famous soon enoughRidendirtywhips will become famous soon enough
Ridendirtywhips's Tacoma Gallery
Just pick up a xds for ccw.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #37
Jojack is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
Jojack's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up a box of hollow points for my xd-9 subcompact and my .45. Is anybody else having problems finding ammo for handguns?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #38
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
9mm minimum.

San Bernardino County used to refuse to list anything smaller than 9mm (or .38spl) on a concealed carry permit (California only allows you to carry the guns listed on your permit). Showing up for class with a .32 or a .22 often resulted in denial of issue.

Yes, a .22 nearly killed President Reagan, but I would not trust a .22 to protect me against an intruder.
But remember a well placed .22 shot is more effective than a missed .45 shot... I agree though, for a carry pistol, a .22 is small but I'd trust one to protect me if necessary.

Last Thursday I bought a Ruger SR22 a bunch of ammo for it and a variety of 12 Ga. shells.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
But remember a well placed .22 shot is more effective than a missed .45 shot...
True... but my wife's lasagne is more effective than a missed .45 shot
Quote:
I agree though, for a carry pistol, a .22 is small but I'd trust one to protect me if necessary.
Last resort? Maybe... I'd reach for an NAA revolver before reaching for a knife, but....
Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #40
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i don't care what caliber you have...adrenaline can do funny things to people

took 5 .38 rounds to the face and is expected to survive
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/06...est=latestnews

In this case, allegedly the victim took several .45 rounds to the torso and then proceeded to beat the snot out of the suspect and shoot him with his own gun...
http://www.wistv.com/story/20464085/...ng-outside-bar