Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

What have you bought in the last 48 hours gun related?

Old 12-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #1441
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
I wouldnt ever work on anything with the door open, but its good advice and so is the false cabinet.. i like it.

Here is the DTi ARI mentioned now assembled and gracing the safe door. Now I just need to find a good eotech optic on sale. I am not a big fan of the Magpul flip up backup/iron sight so far.

are those attached to your safari door?
if so more info please..
Old 12-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #1442
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
are those attached to your safari door?
if so more info please..
Yep, they are pockets and slots built in and meant for accessories and one rifle to be mounted to the door. I just stuff extra holsters and whatnot in there, but the new AR replaced my 870 marine mag in that door spot.

Here is a link, this looks exactly the same but has a different name:

http://www.costco.com/Cannon-Safe-CS...100058767.html
Old 12-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #1443
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
What?!? That's about the only Magpul item I don't like. Their stuff is well thought out, well made, affordable and reliable as anything else you will find. Their Pmags are the since best magazine for the AR15 platform. Period. MBUS are also fantastic and are perfect for a backup which is what they're meant to be. If you want dedicated sights and don't plan to run an optic get some nice fixed sights. Don't buy backup sights and expect them to be the best you can get. They serve their purpose quite well which is staying out of the way 99% of the time and should you need them if your optic goes down they'll work just fine.
I think they may have taken a downturn lately in quality. I agree with Pmags, the CTR stock, forgrips, but the MOE+ grip in dark earth came discolored with a mix of pink and maroon. As for the MBUS. It's cheezy man.. to much injection molding flash and the marks and graduations are vague and the adjustments seem kinda flimsy. It's a backup sight but that doesn't make it less important.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #1444
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
My preferred grip is the CAA (though the FDE does not match Magpul or Vltor). I'm stuck with the MMG on the featureless.

I do like the Magpul enhanced trigger guard (and prefer it screwed in place, not pinned).
For buttstocks, I've got a basic A2 on my featureless build, a Vltor Modstock on my 14.5", and an RRA Operator CAR on the AR-22. The Modstock and Operator have storage for spare batteries.

For handguards, again, I don't care for the MOE and instead run the Troy Battlerails on the 14.5 and AR-22, with stub rails on the 6:00, 9:00, and 3:00 only where needed or at the front out of the way, so I've got a nice, smooth tube to grip that doesn't feel like I'm shooting a cheesegrater.

Yes, the MBUS are just backups and I understand that. I prefer the Troy BUIS.. but yes, I do have the MBUS on my 14.5"
Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #1445
Rabid Conservative

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
My preferred grip is the CAA (though the FDE does not match Magpul or Vltor). I'm stuck with the MMG on the featureless.

I do like the Magpul enhanced trigger guard (and prefer it screwed in place, not pinned).
For buttstocks, I've got a basic A2 on my featureless build, a Vltor Modstock on my 14.5", and an RRA Operator CAR on the AR-22. The Modstock and Operator have storage for spare batteries.

For handguards, again, I don't care for the MOE and instead run the Troy Battlerails on the 14.5 and AR-22, with stub rails on the 6:00, 9:00, and 3:00 only where needed or at the front out of the way, so I've got a nice, smooth tube to grip that doesn't feel like I'm shooting a cheesegrater.

Yes, the MBUS are just backups and I understand that. I prefer the Troy BUIS.. but yes, I do have the MBUS on my 14.5"
The Moe plus handguard has a rubbery feel which I like much more than the standard cheap black plastic grips, i think it was oil from my hands that discolored it, its very strange.. Mild warm water+dawn removed most of it but not all. I am also warming to the MBUS after reading reviews and looking at others. The flash still bugs me but thats easy enough to fix, i just dont think i should have to deburr it myself. Also it irked me that brand new in the sealed bag the sight was not centered, it was fully two notches to the left.
Attached Thumbnails
What have you bought in the last 48 hours gun related?-image.jpg  
Old 12-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #1446
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think they may have taken a downturn lately in quality. I agree with Pmags, the CTR stock, forgrips, but the MOE+ grip in dark earth came discolored with a mix of pink and maroon. As for the MBUS. It's cheezy man.. to much injection molding flash and the marks and graduations are vague and the adjustments seem kinda flimsy. It's a backup sight but that doesn't make it less important.
Downturn in quality? This is the first I'm reading of this. I've lost count of the thousands I've spent on their products over the years and they still seem just as good to me. From the sounds of it you got your hands on some knock-offs because their quality has always been just fine in every product I have. I never said it was less important and all of my AR15's wear Magpul sites of one form or another (save for a couple) and I don't think they're inferior in any way nor do I feel like getting something else would be an 'upgrade' to what I have.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #1447
Rabid Conservative

Quote:
Downturn in quality? This is the first I'm reading of this. I've lost count of the thousands I've spent on their products over the years and they still seem just as good to me. From the sounds of it you got your hands on some knock-offs because their quality has always been just fine in every product I have. I never said it was less important and all of my AR15's wear Magpul sites of one form or another (save for a couple) and I don't think they're inferior in any way nor do I feel like getting something else would be an 'upgrade' to what I have.
Read my post above.. it's growing on me. I'm a fan of Magpul which is why I ordered all their stuff for my build. I like the feel of the grip a lot, but it does have some discoloration from either the manufacturers machining oil or my break-free CLP. It seems that the oil residue on my hands during assembly that for whatever reason reacted with the compound they use to make the MOE plus to cause the reddish color change. (This was a rifle kit build..)

I don't think it's the be all end all, but I think it might just work. I'm going to shoot with the MBUS a few times to get comfy with them before adding a primary optic.

Keep in mind this is also my first AR but I'm used to a bit more polished design and finish. Deburring is cheap and easy but they don't do it. And no, this is not a knockoff.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #1448
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Read my post above.. it's growing on me. I'm a fan of Magpul which is why I ordered all their stuff for my build. I like the feel of the grip a lot, but it does have some discoloration from either the manufacturers machining oil or my break-free CLP. It seems that the oil residue on my hands during assembly that for whatever reason reacted with the compound they use to make the MOE plus to cause the reddish color change. (This was a rifle kit build..)

I don't think it's the be all end all, but I think it might just work. I'm going to shoot with the MBUS a few times to get comfy with them before adding a primary optic.

Keep in mind this is also my first AR but I'm used to a bit more polished design and finish. Deburring is cheap and easy but they don't do it. And no, this is not a knockoff.
Where did you get them? None of my Magpul products have EVER required deburring so I'm still not convinced you have authentic MBUS.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #1449
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The Moe plus handguard has a rubbery feel which I like much more than the standard cheap black plastic grips,
Ahh.. I don't care for the standard plastic barrel shroud anyways.
I've got tubes on two on mine, and I replaced the Stag plastic shroud on the 20" with the A1 triangular guard.

Quote:
Where did you get them? None of my Magpul products have EVER required deburring so I'm still not convinced you have authentic MBUS.
Mine came from Riflegear and had a small amount of flash.
Not bad, but it was there. This was a couple of years ago, could be the molds are getting older.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #1450
Rabid Conservative

Quote:
I ordered mine with the rifle kit. They are a reseller for Magpul and many other brands and the packaging/paperwork matches all my other Magpul stuff. I suppose it's possible. Does this look unusual for the flash? (I'll post a pic after) What about the L-R adjustment, are they supposed to be centered or zeroed?

http://www.del-ton.com/rifle_sights_s/111.htm
Old 12-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #1451
Rabid Conservative

This is the best flash pic I could get tonight in the garage. I hit it for about 2 minutes with a small round file but it was only a little worse than this. All injection molded parts of the sight had sharp very visible flash.
Attached Thumbnails
What have you bought in the last 48 hours gun related?-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 12-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #1452
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
This is the best flash pic I could get tonight in the garage. I hit it for about 2 minutes with a small round file but it was only a little worse than this. All injection molded parts of the sight had sharp very visible flash.
the magpul symbol looks weird..
I've seen knockoffs.. and people selling the airsoft versions for real guns..
Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #1453

Quote:
I just checked the Magpul site and the symbol looks legit.
The "official" logo has a couple of cuts next to the vertical riser, but they are not there on the logo molded into the MBUS on the site photos.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #1454
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Here's what mine look like. Ordered it from primary arms:
Old 12-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #1455
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
Just received my Tipton's Best Gun Vise from Cabela's for half price, even got free shipping.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...482/742475.uts
Old 12-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #1456
Bad Spuller

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I just checked the Magpul site and the symbol looks legit.
The "official" logo has a couple of cuts next to the vertical riser, but they are not there on the logo molded into the MBUS on the site photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
Here's what mine look like. Ordered it from primary arms:
huh. I guess you guys are right.. I did some u tube lessons after I posted on the subject..
there was a dude not too many months ago that posted up his and they turned out to be airsoft ones..
Old 12-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #1457
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered this to go with my budget PTAC upper I bought over Black Friday. MA sucks, I have to lob off the bayonet lug and remove the flash hider. For $25, I'm not expecting it to be a great brake but it'll keep me legal.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Yankee-H...yhm-28-5m1.htm
Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #1458
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
huh. I guess you guys are right.. I did some u tube lessons after I posted on the subject..
there was a dude not too many months ago that posted up his and they turned out to be airsoft ones..
Knock-offs are rampant and that's why I brought it up. Buying from REPUTABLE sources is the only way to avoid it and if the price is too good to be true...
Old 12-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #1459
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger mini 14 tactical
Old 12-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #1460
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
MA sucks, I have to lob off the bayonet lug and remove the flash hider. For $25, I'm not expecting it to be a great brake but it'll keep me legal.
the A2 birdcage flash hider isnt that great anyways. I threw away my A2 flash hiders on both my ARs and went with a competition muzzle brake. Drastic reduction in muzzle rise and recoil. You'll be happy with the switch IMO.