Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

need some open carry advice

Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #21
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
X a million.
With a screen name like yours and a question like yours, you are clearly looking for a confrontation.
I, and other responsible gun owners don't need your kind throwing gas on an already volatile gun ownership issue.
Stay the fuck at home and play COD and you might have the opportunity to keep said weapon, instead of becoming the latest example of why gun ownership/open carry needs to be more highly legislated.
All you need is a felony brandishing on your record...which might not be a bad idea.
Agreed 100%.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #22
Snoyota will become famous soon enoughSnoyota will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Taylor
Snoyota's Tacoma Gallery
The only reason you want to open carry is because the law says no? Doesnt make sense. Also just because your state says yes, does not mean that a city within that state cannot make a law saying no. I encourage you to open carry and refuse the police, you will most likely be on the wrong end of Lawful use of lethal force. Just my 2cents
Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #23
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
the ONLY time i'd open carry (if i was of age, and if i lived in a state that let me) would be if i was on my way home from hunting and didn't want to leave my pistol in the car while i ran into the gas station to get a peach nehi and peanuts. even then i'd have a concealed carry permit and would wear a jacket to cover the weapon.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #24
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, ENS 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
the ONLY time i'd open carry (if i was of age, and if i lived in a state that let me) would be if i was on my way home from hunting and didn't want to leave my pistol in the car while i ran into the gas station to get a peach nehi and peanuts. even then i'd have a concealed carry permit and would wear a jacket to cover the weapon.

In your scenario you still wouldn't be open carrying, ha.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #25
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
In your scenario you still wouldn't be open carrying, ha.
i realized that after i said that, if i didn't have a jacket it'd be open carry, but i don't know if i'd be comfortable doing that.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
Phlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Phlip4x4Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw7 View Post
http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/184821971.html
please take a few mins to read this article. my state allows for open carry except in the designated no-no areas. My city council has taken its own initiative to designate its own no-no areas. In this article the police chief responded to this question, How police would respond if someone was walking around a park with a rifle, which is legal under state and federal law?
This was his response, "officers would contact to the person, at gunpoint, and ask him or her to secure the firearm. He didnít say what would happen if the person refused."
So this has me sitting here wanting to go exercise my rights and sling one over my back and maybe a sidearm in a leg rig and stroll down the beach. I'm not looking to start any trouble, just feel like this is very wrong. Looking for any advice for any people with experience with a situation like this or any leo's thoughts. Please keep politics out of this, I dont want this thread locked. Just feel like I should exercise my right to open carry, but don't want this to go down badly.

Don't play a game you have more chance of losing than winning. Open Carry in CA led to people with Felony convictions that will keep them from legally ever carrying a gun, as well as certain jobs.

As an example: All you have to do is have an officer follow you, they wait till you go down a street with school, even if it is not visible and is on the next street over you can be still be within the 500yards gun free zone. Oh, and I think registered home daycare count as schools.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #27
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
its also your right to jump off a cliff, go underwater and not come up for air, tatoo loser on your face.... does not mean you should exercise all of those rights..
Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #28
Kmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmacafee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kmacafee's Tacoma Gallery
As a former police officer, faced with your example, you would be challenged aggressively by multiple officers. You'd be cuffed and detained until it was sorted out. If you resisted in any way, the consequences would not be good. Unfortunately, we cannot legislate stupid.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #29
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
its also your right to jump off a cliff, go underwater and not come up for air, tatoo loser on your face.... does not mean you should exercise all of those rights..
I would argue that we would be better off if some people did excercise those rights (I'm not referring to the OP, just a general statement pointed at the say people who drive drunk, shoot up public places, etc).
Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #30
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Outlaw,
If you chose to do this and I understand why I highly suggest having a friend or 3 come along with video to record the situation.
May become helpfull later.
A lot of what will happen will depend on the officer/s that are called out on a "MAN WITH A GUN" call.
They might have full understanding of all the rules and they may not.
Recording the interview will give you an extra chance that they will be polite.
Or they may arrest all of you throw you into jail and then your fun will start.
Good luck, and when the cops says put down the weapon I suggest you do so as things can go bad quick if you don't comply and quote rights, do that after they feel safe having disarmed you.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #32
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FO on the OP
Name: Brandon
outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
X a million.
With a screen name like yours and a question like yours, you are clearly looking for a confrontation.
I, and other responsible gun owners don't need your kind throwing gas on an already volatile gun ownership issue.
Stay the fuck at home and play COD and you might have the opportunity to keep said weapon, instead of becoming the latest example of why gun ownership/open carry needs to be more highly legislated.
All you need is a felony brandishing on your record...which might not be a bad idea.
Thank you to everyone's responses, but this one I feel a need to reply to. First off my screen name is more than that, it was my call sign while deployed in Baghdad from Mar 2004-Apr 2005 practicing safe handling of a loaded firearm more than 10 hours a day for over 13 months.

I ask why you would think I would become an example of why gun ownership would need to be more highly legislated? Because I asked about a possible situation where according to my state law i would be within my rights? At the time that I started this thread there are already people working this issue that I had found out about on opencarry.org, which I was directed too by a fellow member in an earlier post. All you people replying about me wanting a fight I never once stated I was looking for one. If you see in the op I stated I wasn't trying to start trouble, I was just trying to bring this situation to light about my town counsels actions.

I would have expected the police to be called, I would have followed all their commands that they would have told me. I might have been arrested? Who knows? I am very passionate about all the current talk of bans, as I feel I have earned the right to be by my service to my country. I have fought very hard in my short time in the sandbox and the talk of abusing the very constitution i swore to defend gets me very upset.

If you refer to post #6 you will see where I said "I was just thinking out loud", thinking before acting, asking for advice before doing. All this talk of me picking a fight or trying to go head to head was not the purpose of this thread. I appreciate everyone's time and advice, but there no need to make it out like I was trying to start a war against my local PD. I have fought enough for one lifetime and hope to never have to fight again.

fyi this is my favorite cod loadout
Old 01-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #33
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for you service. I have never served but have great respect for those that have and do
We are all on high alert and defensive in the current gov climate. Whenever you post online you are subject to criticizem, and will often be mis understood. Your thought to defend the 2nd amendment are honorable, but many feel would not be effective or well viewed by the public. Others may chime in, but I for one am glad you are " just thinking aloud".
Cheers.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #34
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
..the state in question, ...i'm first assuming it's an open-carry state... secondly, is there a state firearms preemption law on the books? if both are true, then it's probably improper (and illegal) for the local municipality to ban open carry in parks... check your state code...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #35
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
..the state in question, ...i'm first assuming it's an open-carry state... secondly, is there a state firearms preemption law on the books? if both are true, then it's probably improper (and illegal) for the local municipality to ban open carry in parks... check your state code...
Roger on both.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #36
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Roger on both.
if the premption law explicitly forbids municipalities to make their own gun restrictions in municipal parks, ...i'd advise writing them and citing the code... this happens from time to time in OH, ...and folks will "correct" the municipalities, ...usually they will acknowledge their folly and abort the ordinance... every once in a while there's one that's rougue, but they'll either be sued or smacked down by a court/AG...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #37

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
if the premption law explicitly forbids municipalities to make their own gun restrictions in municipal parks, ...i'd advise writing them and citing the code... this happens from time to time in OH, ...and folks will "correct" the municipalities, ...usually they will acknowledge their folly and abort the ordinance... every once in a while there's one that's rougue, but they'll either be sued or smacked down by a court/AG...
It has been brought up multiple times at city counsel meetings. They will not budge on the issue. Some individuals have been meeting with the police chief who has admitted that the city ordnance is not in compliance with state law. Im just sitting on the sideline on this issue now letting the individuals who have already started addressing this situation. From what they have said the quotes the paper printed were out of context from the police chief. His meeting with that reporter lasted well over an hour and they only printed 30 seconds worth of talktime.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #38

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It has been brought up multiple times at city counsel meetings. They will not budge on the issue. Some individuals have been meeting with the police chief who has admitted that the city ordnance is not in compliance with state law. Im just sitting on the sideline on this issue now letting the individuals who have already started addressing this situation. From what they have said the quotes the paper printed were out of context from the police chief. His meeting with that reporter lasted well over an hour and they only printed 30 seconds worth of talktime.
if they will be in violation of the state law, ...then their "reign" won't last long, as they'll be smacked down eventually... if the preemption law is clearly written, it should be an open shut case for a state court...