Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Thinking of making 1st gun purchase.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #41
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmodel65 View Post
if you like the 870 id suggest a NEF Pardner Pump its a knock off and way cheaper...add a shorter barrel(or saw yours down to 18.5 inches) and add an adjustable stock
Great gun and 179.00
Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #42
StormTrooperTaco has a spectacular aura aboutStormTrooperTaco has a spectacular aura about
StormTrooperTaco's Tacoma Gallery
870 Tactical Express, it was my first shotgun. I quickly moved on though, I would probably grab my Colt LE6920 these days.

Since you live in a Condo, shotguns have a high degree of hitting others. Keep it to defensive rounds and you should be ok. best bang for price though! Excellent home defense weapon if not the best.

Remington 870 and TRP Operator Springfield by Shaun.Images ©, on Flickr
Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #43
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
I agree with the saftey location on the Mossberg it's very conveinent. I've got the $200 base model wood stock 28" barrel 500. Ducks, geese, doves, deer, skeet, squirrel you name it, never let me down in the 7yrs i've had it. It's kept up with the $1000 benelli's just fine.

i believe people like it until they put a pistol grip/folding stock etc on the 500 then its kind of awkward to use
Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #44
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i believe people like it until they put a pistol grip/folding stock etc on the 500 then its kind of awkward to use

Never thought of it like that.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #45
Hakuna Matata, bitches!
EVErsionDesigns has a spectacular aura aboutEVErsionDesigns has a spectacular aura about

Name: Trent
EVErsionDesigns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
There is not a difference in the spread of a 12 vs 20, that's dictated by the choke(the end of the barrel that allows the pellets to spread when they leave the barrel).
The difference is the number of pellets in the pattern.
I shoot pheasants wth 20ga 3" magnum loads and they carry 1 1/4 ounces of shot, the same as Remington Express Long Rang 12ga shells, which I thought were heavy when I used them.
No difference, except over a pound of weight of the gun, which makes a big difference in the field.
Right. Sorry, got my wording mixed up.
So what's you experience between the two?
Which do you prefer?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #46
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Not so big on the pistol grip shotguns. Not my style. Looks kinda silly I think, sorry if that offends.

Pro's/Con's of a pistol grip I'll more than listen to though.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #47
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Just a pistol grip as almost useless if you're half asleep and In a self defense situation.

The pistol grip with the stock, honestly I don't know any pros except it might be more comfy for you , but I've read that it's harder on the hand to have the pistol grip.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #48
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
I think the best stock option right now is the Magpul shotgun stock. The ergos on that thing are great. If they ever make a short one, I am going to buy one.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #49
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Just a pistol grip as almost useless if you're half asleep and In a self defense situation.

The pistol grip with the stock, honestly I don't know any pros except it might be more comfy for you , but I've read that it's harder on the hand to have the pistol grip.

more compact and easier to move around in hallways and go thru door ways etc...yeah its hard on the hand but unless youre a P*&&y then you should just man up

here is me in a short vid shooting a 12 gauge with a random slug thrown in the mix maverick88(pretty much exactly the same as the 500 just cost little less)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6uLFP68o6c
Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #50
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
more compact and easier to move around in hallways and go thru door ways etc...yeah its hard on the hand but unless youre a P*&&y then you should just man up

here is me in a short vid shooting a 12 gauge with a random slug thrown in the mix maverick88(pretty much exactly the same as the 500 just cost little less)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6uLFP68o6c

I totally disagree. tough guy
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #51
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Mossberg 590 which I chose over the 870 due to ejection problems. The 870 is a fine piece of engineering but for some reason it has a reputation for catching casings in the ejection slot by the lip of the metal part on the way out. Ive witnessed this in my friends new 870 which does not do it very often but does suffer from this issue. One other reason I chose the Mossberg 590 is because much of the Military chose it after having sand become a problem in their 870's and Benelli's. The mossberg is a bit more loose and seems to cycle well in sandy/dirty conditions. I like to compare the two as follows: Mossberg 590 is like an AK47 and the Remington 870 is like an AR15 the way they are machined. You cant beat a shotgun for home defense, as it is (in my opinion) the most devastating close range weapon with the right ammo. The other nice thing about tactical shotguns is that you can shoot almost any type of ammo from birdshot to slugs or even (dragons breath) since they are not threaded for a choke. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #52
StormTrooperTaco has a spectacular aura aboutStormTrooperTaco has a spectacular aura about
StormTrooperTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runn0r View Post
I have a Mossberg 590 which I chose over the 870 due to ejection problems. The 870 is a fine piece of engineering but for some reason it has a reputation for catching casings in the ejection slot by the lip of the metal part on the way out. Ive witnessed this in my friends new 870 which does not do it very often but does suffer from this issue. One other reason I chose the Mossberg 590 is because much of the Military chose it after having sand become a problem in their 870's and Benelli's. The mossberg is a bit more loose and seems to cycle well in sandy/dirty conditions. I like to compare the two as follows: Mossberg 590 is like an AK47 and the Remington 870 is like an AR15 the way they are machined. You cant beat a shotgun for home defense, as it is (in my opinion) the most devastating close range weapon with the right ammo. The other nice thing about tactical shotguns is that you can shoot almost any type of ammo from birdshot to slugs or even (dragons breath) since they are not threaded for a choke. Good luck!
IMO this is the worse reason not to buy a 870, the most sold shotgun in the world by many times over for over 50 years, there is no issue. Some models are better then others. Mossy 590 have just as many ejection issues as any OTHER shotgun out there, due to cheap ammo, short stroking, and any other of bad proper usage. And there are lemons out there.

Both the 590 and 870 are fantastic guns, both have weakness. The 590 is aluminum receiver where the 870 is steel, they both have distinctive different action. It's the action and how the gun feels that should win you over between the 590 and 870. A lot of people prefer the action on the 870 due to the steel receiver, feels smooth with less kick and easier control. I have owned both and now just own an 870.

The 500, 590 vs 870 argument is never-ending. But all shotguns can have issues, no way the 870 is known as unreliable, statistically its the most reliable shotgun in the world.

Army not going with the Remington says nothing, its easier to break down on the field and MUCH cheaper then the Remington contract, so they went with the cheaper contract.

Most police, FBI, SWAT, etc will use a mix of mossy and Remington models. They are both really good guns.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #53
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
True, but you can throw a baynoet on the front of a 590 right out of the box
Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #54
Ubeslife is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
Ubeslife's Tacoma Gallery
I currently own an rem 1100, but did have a mossburg 590A1 for a few years. It was my first shotgun bought only for home defense, I lived in flint, MI at the time and had a buddy held at gun point and robbed in our house while the rest of us were asleep. Loved that gun, I ended up shooting skeet with it for a couple of years (not idea for sure I know, but I was a poor college student). I put thousands of rounds through it of all different varieties. Never had any problems with it, ever. Ive shot 870's and I prefer the mossburgs safety and slide/bolt release locations much better than the 870's. I would highly recommend going to a gun show as well, Ive bought the majority of my firearms there and always get better deals. Just make sure you know what you are looking for ahead of time cause it can kind of be overwheming with everything to look at.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #55
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperTaco View Post
870 Tactical Express, it was my first shotgun. I quickly moved on though, I would probably grab my Colt LE6920 these days.

Since you live in a Condo, shotguns have a high degree of hitting others. Keep it to defensive rounds and you should be ok. best bang for price though! Excellent home defense weapon if not the best.

Remington 870 and TRP Operator Springfield by Shaun.Images ©, on Flickr
... ^^^ ... I really like that shotgun ... ... what is the "exact model number" ... thanks a lot ...

And I think they have a model with a "hand grip" too ... easier for wife to handle.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #56
Yukon Cornelius
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
did i see that thing jump out of your hand not once, not twice, but three times?

it kicked but you dont hear me whining about it
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #57
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runn0r View Post
True, but you can throw a baynoet on the front of a 590 right out of the box
Nothing should get close enough to where you'd ever need the bayonet...
Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #58
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahhh, Shit.

Totally getting a bayonet attachment.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #59
The Aviator
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Im right there with you OP. I am looking at purchasing my first gun here within the next two months. I would buy it sooner but I am leaving for military schooling tomorrow and anyone who has gone to any kind of military schooling knows how that goes. The 10 days I'd have to wait for a firearm would not only make the thing inaccessible to me, but I'd have no way to pay for it or pick it up from far away.

I'm looking at getting a 45 ACP handgun, I would get a 9mm and I know it's cheaper, but whatever. I like knowing I'd have the better stopping power of the 45 ACP.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #60

Looks like Gander Mountain carries the HL Pardner line. Like $230. Have to get over to one when I can and check it out.