Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

So anyone can be a sniper? Is that really a good idea....

Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Geode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Geode's Tacoma Gallery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvbyAcYjzlc
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Being a sniper is more than just marksmanship. Shooting is just a fraction of what one is. Sorry I just hate it when people think all snipers do is just shoot well.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Geode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
You are correct, I've no knowledge on the subject. I do understand what it takes to be good at something, 10,000 of thousands of hours/training etc. There is always much more to things than most can imagine.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
Being a sniper is more than just marksmanship. Shooting is just a fraction of what one is. Sorry I just hate it when people think all snipers do is just shoot well.
OK, so replace sniper with marksman and give your opinion.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's fine as long as that type of weapon is carefully regulated.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I think it's fine as long as that type of weapon is carefully regulated.
this, possibly, it would have a use though, coyote hunting at 300+ yards, just got easier.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
dlooney has a spectacular aura aboutdlooney has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dennis
dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
Yes anyone with $17,000 and access to a most likely highly controlled and regulated weapon that is still in development can shoot things far away. I don't see the problem.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
this, possibly, it would have a use though, coyote hunting at 300+ yards, just got easier.
$17k to kill a coyote at 300 yards? I was more concerned that,for a price, any idiot can step up to the plate and be a marksman.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
woode87 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aircraft Mechanic
Name: Eric
woode87's Tacoma Gallery
It really is pointless, its large and heavy making it impractical considering most half decent shooters are going to know their dope or have a card. Wind and distance can be calculated without any tools other than a scope as it is.

I guess for the extremely lazy/poor shooters it might do something, but that is really just as a toy in my eyes. Not to mention it takes away from the sport of shooting.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
$17k to kill a coyote at 300 yards? I was more concerned that,for a price, any idiot can step up to the plate and be a marksman.
you take people who don't know how to shoot at all and they want to go varmint hunting than yep, it's probably a good investment for a guide.

i know, just making it clear that there is a use for it so people don't label it a killing machine, only good for war, ect.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
you take people who don't know how to shoot at all and they want to go varmint hunting than yep, it's probably a good investment for a guide.

i know, just making it clear that there is a use for it so people don't label it a killing machine, only good for war, ect.
I agree with you there, there is a use for it but there's also a very bad use for it that you can't deny. That type of gun is something you wouldn't want falling into the wrong hands in my opinion. An amateur hunter with more money than brains doesn't really concernme.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post

Preach it man. That is the most annoying thing to hear, or a corpsman saying they are basically a Marine because they are green side... AAHHHHHH!!!!

On another note, that rifle is for the people who have more money than they know what to do with and can't shoot. No skill.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
I knew it would come to this... it sucks. Used to be,, only the real deal could put a mans brain in his morning eggs at 800 yards.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
theboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant future

Name: Jon
theboy12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Any idiot can breed, so there's that too. I'm more worried about the dangers that result from an ignorant mind using a tool whether it is a gun, car, sexual organ, vote, etc. The potential for great damage is there in many forms. It makes me sad that focus these days is on the gun rather than an individual 's responsibility for their actions, intentional or otherwise. So I guess in short this does not worry me in the great scheme of things given all of society's other ills.
-Jon
Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geode View Post
First, why do you think a scope system has anything to do with being a sniper? Many shooters (hunters, etc) use scopes and all shooters at least want to shoot well. Second, this technology is not going to be cheap. I doubt you'll see it mounted on many cheap Saturday night specials. Finally, a bit of practice will accomplish the exact same thing. For example, even fresh military recruits, with only very minimal practice, are expected to place a reasonable number of rounds into a target at some distance to graduate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlooney View Post
Yes anyone with $17,000 and access to a most likely highly controlled and regulated weapon that is still in development can shoot things far away. I don't see the problem.
I don't see anything in this scope (not weapon) design that would cause it to be "highly controlled and regulated." Even the video says "this product will be commercially available in January 2013."