Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Looking to purchase a revolver

Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Looking to purchase a revolver

Buddy of mine has a ruger .357.. I have shot it, and want one. He has the ruger gp100, 4" barrel. Anyone have one?

I handled one today, only in 6" barrel. Any pros/cons from 4" to 6"?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
6" might have just a little less muzzle flip. You will have a little more velocity out of the 6". 4" would be easier as a carry weapon if you have a CCW. I would shoot both of them first before you buy though. You may like the weight of one more than the other.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
6" might have just a little less muzzle flip. You will have a little more velocity out of the 6". 4" would be easier as a carry weapon if you have a CCW. I would shoot both of them first before you buy though. You may like the weight of one more than the other.
I have shot his. No where can i rent a 6" barrel. Weight is about the same, can't ccw here.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Oh yea. Good 'ol NJ. I have shot a both of the barrel lengths in a .357 but not the same model. One is a S&W K frame and the other was a Higway Patrolman. I personally shot better with the 6" gun.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

Firefighter:
Ill have to see if i can shoot his again. Im pretty proficiant with my glocks. There a 4.5" barrel. I just want something a little bigger. Don't know if 6" is too big.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Revolver shooting is a little different. You don't have that tail to stop your hand from sliding up the grip.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
mynameistory has a spectacular aura aboutmynameistory has a spectacular aura about
Name: Tory
mynameistory's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be impressed if anyone could CCW a GP100. It's a full-size frame. I have a blued 4" barrel. My first and only gun purchase (so far). Love it. Triple locking cylinder makes for a long-lasting, low-maintenance gun. My buddy has a 686+, and while I will concede it has a slightly smoother double-action pull out of the box, the Ruger is agreed to be the more durable of the two. I recommend it whole-heartedly.

As for the longer barrel, the other benefit besides reduced flip and increased velocity, is sight radius. A longer sight picture is more accurate, like a rifle. But I prefer my 4" because the 6" seems a tad unwieldy.

Can't go wrong with any GP though!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
4" probaly has more velocity than the 6", but besides that the 6" is big and heavy. I had one and my dad has 4" and i like the 4 better. The 4" is the optimum length for the 357 mag. You really wont see much gain in velocity unless you get really long so the weight just isnt worth it.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a big fan of Ruger revolvers...I own 2 (neither being a GP) but I have considered both the GP and SP lines...just never found the right deal because I refuse to purchase guns new

Like others have said, the shorter ones are going to be more easily maneuvered/carried/etc but longer ones are going to have increased velocity and accuracy
Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
I'm a big fan of Ruger revolvers...I own 2 (neither being a GP) but I have considered both the GP and SP lines...just never found the right deal because I refuse to purchase guns new

Like others have said, the shorter ones are going to be more easily maneuvered/carried/etc but longer ones are going to have increased velocity and accuracy
I too prefer used. So many times they will say, "Yeah, I shot the hell out of that pistol, I bet you I put fifty rounds through it".

So I usually buy the gun and his "100 round arsenal".
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
the 4 will have a faster draw if that is important to you. I have a new vaquero in 357.. solid guns.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Target shooting; the 6" has the advantage. Home defense; I'd say either. Carrying; obviously the 4" but since your'e in NJ that is a moot point.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger SP101, 3" barrel....great gun
Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #14

Firefighter:
Its kind of a gloomy day so maybe ill take a ride and fondle some more revolvers. I just put my permit in yesterday..they told me 3 months

Last time they said that, it was more like 3 weeks..lol
Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
Ruger SP101, 3" barrel....great gun
x2 I have a Ruger Security Six that is a great pistol for home defense. Sadly it spends more time loaned out to friends/family that need a pistol for home defense then it does at my home. It has been a great intro gun when loaded up with 38 Special though.

As for the OP, if you intend to do more target shooting than anything I would go with the 6" barrel. The longer sight radius makes it more accurate for you to shoot and the extra barrel weight helps a little with recoil.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #16

Firefighter:
I dont plan on doing more then target shooting. I dont even know if i could hunt with it out of state.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #17
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
Name: Curt
SteelRain's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned several different Ruger Revolvers. My first was a Security 6, half shroud in 4 in. I had a pair of Pachmeyer Grips on it and did just fine. I also owned a 6 in stainless GP100. A litte too big for CCW, but a whole lot of fun to shoot. Not much difference in recoil, but then again recoil on either didn't seem too bad. I currently own the smaller brother, th SP101. Double action pull is horrid, but single action is beautiful. Tight groups and felt recoil isn't nearly as bad as my old Smith and Wesson 340pd.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #18
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
4" probaly has more velocity than the 6"...
Just the opposite. 6" will give you more velocity, of course.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

I dropped the chart into an excel sheet and it averages 185 fps more goig from 4" to 6" for these loads, which is about 13% more velociy.

That being said, I agree with this guy that the 6" is awkward. If you ever want to use the revolver as a truck gun, or a backpack gun, or carry it under a coat if you have to, a 4" will serve you better.

I have a 4" S&W 64, and a 4" S&W 686 is definitely on my list. I think it's the perfect combo of shotability and packability.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #19

Firefighter:
Im more leaning towards a 4" barrel..but on the other hand, both my glocks are short barrel and im looking for something a bit bigger. To bad theres not a 5" barrel model.

I'd love to get a s&w...but ouch there expensive.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
mynameistory has a spectacular aura aboutmynameistory has a spectacular aura about
Name: Tory
mynameistory's Tacoma Gallery
I'm told they do make 5" models every now and then, in batches for special distributor sales. Right now Ruger is so backordered I'd be surprised to see any new ones coming out soon.