Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

BB guns for training?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
BB guns for training?

I have been considering a blowback bb handgun for training @ my house. Why a bb gun you ask? Well ammo is dirt cheap, cost of entry is about 100.00, my son can shoot it, and I can shoot it in my garage whenever the mood strikes. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?
Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
it would be a good gun for learning the fundamentals, but if there is a particular one that you like, say a .22 or higher, you need to train with that caliber/gun to be the most precise.
each caliber will feel different than the next, recoil will vary. also models of guns will also have their own feel. keep this in mind. props to you for getting your son involved!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Phlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Phlip4x4Sport's Tacoma Gallery
When we train Webelos we use BB guns and then at Boy Scouts they move up to the .22. (this is all long guns) As long as you teach all of the rules as if it was a lethal, high caliber there is no harm done. Start with a trigger pull weight higher and it will help him work on form and strength.

Where I live in the city of Los Angeles the laws are strict on guns. Even discharging a BB gun in your own garage is a crime. Follow the laws, their are some real dicks that will turn you in because you are violent and they are doing their Civic duty. If it is not legal, just get the .22 and go to the range.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
A pellet gun is a good pistol to learn on. Either .177 or .22 caliber. I have a Beeman Webley "Hurricane" that has been very reliable.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Ive read on a few gun forums where guys will use the higher end gas powered bb guns/airsoft guns for training around the house. Work on draw, trigger pull,
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
A friend and I use to shoot airsoft Beretta's in the apartment which were pretty straight shooting at short distance with good quality ammo. I had a net airsoft trap that would trap the BB's for reuse. However if you want to train with an actual 9mm or .45 handgun indoors, check this out:

http://www.laserlyte.com/collections/lts

You chamber an actual caliber sized laser and when the firing pin strikes the primer button, it fires a laser at a reactive target. Kinda expensive but a great training tool.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Colt AR-15, Colt 1911 pistol and Dan Wesson revolver, all airsoft guns that I use for the kids (9 and 13 years old) to get used to the feel of the different guns, and most important to learn the safety aspects. Once they have that mastered we will go to the gun range and shoot some real guns.
The airsoft guns are all high-end ($100+), but you can get $30 handguns that work perfectly fine to accomplish these goals. My AR-15 and 1911 has blowback, which the cheaper ones will not have.

And, as others have mentioned, ammo is real cheap.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Xlnt idea to train muscle memory and proper form and safety.
Be carefull that $100.00 BB gun quickly turns into a $1000.00 air rifle
Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I received a Daisy Powerline 990 when I was about 9. Initially I was pretty intimidated because my dad took it really seriously and we focused on safety. After I was familiar with the thing I put a couple thousand pellets down it chewing up fence posts and waxing every trash bird in the yard (sparrows and starlings, cowbirds, etc).

By the time I wore out that pellet rifle I was a crack shot. I don't know how that will transfer to a bb pistol indors though.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
In my experience the triggers suck on air pistols but they're fun. Currently playing with an M&P model BB gun.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1018460

This is what I ordered
It will help with my training for this:
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, My brother has a CZ 75. It is a solid gun. Teh .22 conversion is fun as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
I have a bb rifle and semi-auto pistol (rifle was about $90, pistol about $50) mid to low range as far as quality. very fun. nice to have to shoot around the back yard and do some plinking.