Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Ammo Availability thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #441
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Walmart in my area had a few 555rd boxes of .22lr Winchester hollow points the other day for 24 and some change.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #442
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
Walmart in my area had a few 555rd boxes of .22lr Winchester hollow points the other day for 24 and some change.
Ida bought all I could even tho they used to be $10 cheaper, everywhere else it's close to double.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #443
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
I'm glad Walmart gets that winchester 333/555 every now and again. That huge hollow point makes a great small game round.

I should have bought a whole mess of .22 CCI SV when it was on sale for $25/brick at dick's years ago. Now I'm wondering if I'll ever see it again. New personal rule. If/when ammo is readily available for purchase again, plan ahead to have on hand no less than 10k rounds.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #444
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
New personal rule. If/when ammo is readily available for purchase again, plan ahead to have on hand no less than 10k rounds.
A few things to consider before you pack away that ammo: Make sure it's a brand/type that works well in your gun, inspect it all and test a few from each batch to make sure they're not defective, date them and try to rotate your stock to keep it as fresh as possible, store them in the most ideal conditions possible. Even something as simple as a percussion cap can be defective, I know because I wound up with 700 out of 1000 that were dead. Had I not checked them right away they may have sat for a couple years before discovering it. By then I'd have no caps and probably not be able to get a refund or exchange. Strangely, the cause of the defect actually turned out to be a change in the metal prep of the tins they're sold in, not bad production of the caps, but it goes to show that weird things happen. I had a brick of federal .22 that didn't work worth a damn on one trip, then were flawless the next trip. The first trip we were in about 50 degree weather and at least 6 out of 10 rnds didn't go off or were weak. The second trip it was about 70 and they were perfect. Whether they needed time or temperature, another case of weird.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #445
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
I paid $58.00 for a 500 round box of 22lr the other day, ouch ! i had to as i could not find them any where else for some time now.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #446
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziGT230 View Post
A few things to consider before you pack away that ammo: Make sure it's a brand/type that works well in your gun, inspect it all and test a few from each batch to make sure they're not defective, date them and try to rotate your stock to keep it as fresh as possible, store them in the most ideal conditions possible. Even something as simple as a percussion cap can be defective, I know because I wound up with 700 out of 1000 that were dead. Had I not checked them right away they may have sat for a couple years before discovering it. By then I'd have no caps and probably not be able to get a refund or exchange. Strangely, the cause of the defect actually turned out to be a change in the metal prep of the tins they're sold in, not bad production of the caps, but it goes to show that weird things happen. I had a brick of federal .22 that didn't work worth a damn on one trip, then were flawless the next trip. The first trip we were in about 50 degree weather and at least 6 out of 10 rnds didn't go off or were weak. The second trip it was about 70 and they were perfect. Whether they needed time or temperature, another case of weird.

Solid advice. I've picked up several thousand rounds of .22 over the last month, by purchasing in small quantities (or whatever they will let me get) and that makes it hard to test, but I burn through it so fast it doesn't really matter. Bimart has been a solid resource for CCI .22 and lake city green tip for me, as well as smaller hardware stores that people don't think carry ammo. It's funny, but the lumber yard has the best selection and best prices of high end ammo for a 150 mile radius. 'Course, I live in the sticks.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #447
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
deog's Tacoma Gallery
I agree /\ i found ammo at a pawn shop, and all the gun stores have zip. The gun stores limit how any rounds they will sell. The dude in the pawn shop could care less, buy it all if you want. I bought 1000 rounds of cci 22lr.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #448
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats to NY folks for now needing a background check to get ammo!!

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to get political there
Old 11-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #449
deog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
Congrats to NY folks for now needing a background check to get ammo!!

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to get political there
Seriously ? I just learned that you can not carry any pocket knife in New York city.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #450
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deog View Post
Seriously ? I just learned that you can not carry any pocket knife in New York city.
I lived in NY (upstate) my whole life
I got the !#$% out of there before my diploma even came in the mail
I said "A state like this is only going to get worse and worse"
...and what do you know: it's only been 3 years, and I'm not surpised... but, still... dang
Old 11-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #451
NvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Jeff
NvrSumR's Tacoma Gallery
Lake City 5.56 55gr. 420 rounds for $169.99 in stock. I got 2 cases.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...93lc1-ac1.html
Old 12-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #452
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
Gear Head's Tacoma Gallery
Finally found some .22 lr at my local Gander for $49.99 for 500. I didn't buy any..
Old 12-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #453
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Head View Post
Finally found some .22 lr at my local Gander for $49.99 for 500. I didn't buy any..
This just seems ridiculous to me. I wonder if we will ever see $.03/rd .22LR again.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #454
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
This just seems ridiculous to me. I wonder if we will ever see $.03/rd .22LR again.
Only if you buy massive amounts from an importer. Distributors mark up 50%...that's before the dealer gets it... For made in America ammo, forget about that price point. The last lead smelter was shut down last month, that means ALL of our lead will have to be purchased overseas and shipped here. Might as well buy .22 straight from the Mexicans at aguilla. They don't have the EPA and shipping isn't too bad.

Importer (or Manufacturer) -distributor-regional distributor-retailer. They all make a cut.

If you can wait, Midway has the 1400 round bucket o bullets for $62.99. They will allow backorder, the catch is they aren't expected until June, 2014 and you can only buy one. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/621...bucket-of-1400
Old 12-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #455
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Only if you buy massive amounts from an importer. Distributors mark up 50%...that's before the dealer gets it... For made in America ammo, forget about that price point. The last lead smelter was shut down last month, that means ALL of our lead will have to be purchased overseas and shipped here. Might as well buy .22 straight from the Mexicans at aguilla. They don't have the EPA and shipping isn't too bad.

Importer (or Manufacturer) -distributor-regional distributor-retailer. They all make a cut.

If you can wait, Midway has the 1400 round bucket o bullets for $62.99. They will allow backorder, the catch is they aren't expected until June, 2014 and you can only buy one. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/621...bucket-of-1400
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gun...ml#post7828224
Old 12-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #457
Fluffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
Mmhmm. We'll see what happens dude. I'm not trying to start a panic or whatever, but it will effect us. Maybe not tomorrow, but it will increase the price over time. Plus, we are gambling on the EPA allowing recycling to continue here. There are already many battery manufacturers that have moved to Mexico just to avoid the regs... just sayin'. In the meantime...buy lead ingots. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321197563285?lpid=82
Old 12-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #458
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
Thank you. I got an email from the NRA not too long ago saying the same thing about the last lead smeltor closing, no more ammo, etc. Didn't sound right so I googled it and disapproved it in under 5 min. I was really dissapointed they would mislead us and fear monger like that.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 AM   #459
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have access to any 22lr? I will compensate anyone who can locate and ship me a brick or 2! Of course I'll be paying for it!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #460
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Anyone have access to any 22lr? I will compensate anyone who can locate and ship me a brick or 2! Of course I'll be paying for it!
keep on gunbot.net or cabelas.