1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To Own A Gun In Canada

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by TheMaster, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Feb 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    DikDikerson

DikDikerson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    13' 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    Getting back to the transport issue, I'd still like some opinions on this:[/QUOTE]

No law is ever perfect, but it's my thinking that the goal of our restricted firearm transport law is to reduce the risk of a restricted gun (hand gun) being stolen. Leaving a hand gun locked in you car for 2 hours why you shop at the mall increases the risk of having it stolen. If you drive right from your house to the range the risk of theft is almost nil.

2. Feb 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada

We should be allowed to get coffee though.. I always have to go to Tims, go home and get my gun, then go to the range.. mad lame.

3. Feb 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada
    We have to go directly to the range, no stopping.

4. Feb 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Not permitted to carry

5. Feb 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I already posted the requirements for moving them but here they are again

Restricted and prohibited firearms

Unload the firearms; and

Attach secure locking devices to the firearms; and

Lock the firearms in a sturdy, non-transparent container; and

Remove the bolts or bolt carriers from any automatic firearms (if removable).

Obtain an Authorization to Transport (call 1-800-731-4000).

6. Feb 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    DikDikerson

DikDikerson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    13' 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    I just asked a friend who own restricted guns and he stops at drive-thrus all the time. As far as he remembers the law you just can't leave the gun in the car unattended. I did a quick search but can't find the actual law, so the above is just hearsay.

7. Feb 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    From the same link

Leaving Any Class of Firearm in an Unattended Vehicle

Lock non-restricted firearms and locked containers carrying restricted or prohibited firearms in the trunk or in a similar lockable compartment.

If the vehicle does not have a trunk or lockable compartment, put firearms and firearm containers out of sight inside the vehicle and lock the vehicle.

If you are in a remote wilderness area and cannot lock your non-restricted firearms inside your vehicle, unload them and put them out of sight. Attach a secure locking device to the firearms unless they are needed for predator control.

8. Feb 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Transporting Firearms:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/trans-eng.htm

Facts and Figures:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/facts-faits/index-eng.htm

Canadian Firearms FAQ:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm

Just some interesting info and stats

If I'm reading right a non-prohibited handgun can be transported but it must be unloaded, locked and stored in the truck or similar area. Also, a permit is required. Is that a one time permit or once you have it you can always permit?

Non-restricted firearms are ordinary rifles and shotguns, other than those referred to below.
    Restricted
    firearms include:

• handguns that are not prohibited;
    • semi-automatic, centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 470 mm;
    • rifles and shotguns that can be fired when their overall length has been reduced by folding, telescoping or other means to less than 660 mm; and
    • firearms restricted by Criminal Code Regulations.
    Prohibited firearms include:

• handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm or less and handguns that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition, except for a few specific ones used in International Shooting Union competitions;
    • rifles and shotguns that have been altered by sawing or other means so that their barrel length is less than 457 mm or their overall length is less than 660 mm;
    • full automatics;
    • converted automatics, namely full automatics that have been altered so that they fire only one projectile when the trigger is squeezed; and
    • firearms prohibited by Criminal Code Regulations.

9. Feb 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Perfectly legal in most states... even California.

The machining jig that he is showing does not have the "happy hole" for the full-auto seer... it is simply a legally unserialized receiver that can be assembled into a pistol or a rifle.
    If assembled into a rifle, it then becomes a violation of the NFA if it is reassembled as a pistol.

I own such a receiver... I had to have it in my possession before I could legally take ownership of a 14" barrel for my AR.

If you build it into a gun capable of firing more than one round with each pull of the trigger, you have built a machine gun and you get a 10 year some-expenses-paid vacation at Club Phed.

I machined mine using a mill in a drill press. It ain't pretty, but it's functional and that's all that I need for my purposes.

10. Feb 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    There have been a couple of shops popped by the DOJ for this.
    The charges were based on the firearm being manufactured on the premises, therefore the machine shop was acting as a manufacturer, thus an unlicensed 07FFL.

It's different if a private party is holding a build party and allowing their mill to be used, as they are not in business, but for an actual business to allow the use of their CNC equipment, it gets touchy under the law.

I don't know what the ultimate status of the Temecula case resolved to, but in 2010, very few machine shops were willing to stick their neck out and allow this.

11. Feb 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Same safety reason that California has similar restrictions on registered assault weapons.

Trigger lock is not required, and ammo is not required to be carried separately, and the bolt does not have to be removed, but normal handgun transport laws apply (unloaded in a secure locked container) whether the RAW is a handgun or a rifle, and there are destination restrictions, though "the desert" is a legitimate destination... we are not restricted to range use only.

The safety concern? Because these evil guns will jump up all by themselves and kill kittens and bunnies.

12. Feb 11, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    i didn't know about that.

13. Feb 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Legally?

Not in all 50 states.

14. Feb 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  15. Feb 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    Kylsix

Kylsix Makin' it Hail

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '12 Mag Gray T|X Pro
    OME w/ 886s & Dakkar Leafs
    Holy shit I've been doing it wrong my whole life. I knew I should leave my home defense gun unloaded and locked in a safe! That way when I need it to protect my home, my family or myself, all I have to do is get my key, which would be responsibly hidden in a room that the gun safe does not reside in, then go back to the room the gun safe resides in, which may not be the room in which I sleep, open the safe, load my firearm and then be ready. Man, I could be ready to defend myself in as little as 3 minutes if I practice!

/sarcasm

There are literally thousands upon thousands of cases of "morons" using their "just in case" guns to protect themselves and their family, including a young girl using a Hello Kitty Pink AR15 to stop home invaders (don't have link, it was in one of my American Rifleman magazines).

Which begs the question, can a Canadian citizen, with the proper licensing and permits, use a firearm in defense of their home or family?

16. Feb 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Under Section 40 of the Criminal Code, which deals with the defence of dwellings, Nichols says, “everyone who is in possession of a dwelling house is justified in using as much force as necessary, to prevent any person from forcibly breaking into or entering the dwelling house without lawful authority.”

Cohen echoes Nichols' sentiments, adding that when it comes to defending themselves, Canadians have the most rights inside their own homes.

“This area is less grey than others. The rule of reasonable force still applies, but most judges will give you the benefit of the doubt,” Cohen says. “… You can use any force you deem necessary to remove the burglar from the house and eliminate the threat to yourself.”

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/05/03/f-self-defence.html

17. Feb 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I've answered your exact same question about 20 times now

18. Feb 11, 2013 at 6:39 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Not dodging anything , I've tried to provide an answer for you as best I can , if you can't accept it I seriously suggest you use the Canadian Government contact info I provided earlier and ask them

and I didn't quote you on the :deadhorse:

19. Feb 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...precisely the reasons why we vehemently oppose "gun control"... gubm't runs roughshod over citizens...

20. Feb 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    FTFY

Don't speak for others, it's just silly.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...ity-of-americans-nra-members-back-gun-control

"About 70 percent of respondents supported bans on military-style semiautomatic weapons and high capacity ammunition magazines, slightly less than the more than 80 percent who backed measures restricting those who could buy guns, such as people with histories of domestic violence or serious juvenile crimes."

“This research indicates high support among Americans, including gun owners in many cases, for a wide range of policies aimed at reducing gun violence,” said lead study author Colleen Barry, an associate professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health."

Products Discussed in

To Top