Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

To Own A Gun In Canada

Old 02-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #41
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibby0087 View Post
The only thing I find dumb about the control in Canada is the classification of different guns, a major example is ar-15s up here there restricted and were limited to only shooting them at ranges. Wish it was like the states where we could hunt with them
There are still limitations that make the AR... at least the AR15, impractical for hunting.

In many states, depending on the game sought, magazine capacity is restricted to 5 rounds, and there are also caliber restrictions.
5.56 is still only a .22 caliber class.

So on the one hand, more than 5 rounds is "non sporting", and calibers smaller than .24 may be considered "not humane"

Now the AR10 pattern, ya... that's a bit more practical, but again, the mag capacity limitations still come into play, and seriously, for hunting, if I'm going out with a .30 cal, rather than spending $2k+ on an AR10, I'm going to be looking closer to $700+ bolt action in .308 or .30-06. Better accuracy, better reliability, and silent chambering.
There is a reason snipers use bolt action.

Semi autos are great for sport shooting and a lot of fun.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #42
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Most are fairly reasonable except the following:
7. Disclose the names and contact information of all conjugal partners in the last two years. These former and current partners are contacted to see if they have any concerns regarding the individual’s acquisition of a firearm. Would be on file with the court system if they thought the person was dangerous IE Protection Orders,Terroristic Threatening etc. ( Don't know if you have these protections but I venture a guess you have something similar) Why give a person pissed over a break up the ability to cause the other party grief.
8. Disclose whether the Applicant has suffered a marital breakdown or a breakdown of a significant relationship, job loss or bankruptcy or other traumatic event in the last two years. 2 Years is to far back if someone was planning nefarious deeds they wouldn't actually need a weapon so why not 6 months to 1 year. Again, though alot of this would be on record with the exception of breakdown of significant relationship and traumatic event which is open to interpretation and ambiguous at best.
9. Disclose whether you have threatened or attempted suicide, any consultation or treatment for alcohol, substance abuse, and behavioral or emotional problems in the last 5 years.
Redundant based on release of mental information and again on record in most places though usually only if it involved police, court or medical intervention.
Though, after having gone through this whole process it seems it doesn't matter as it comes down to one person’s decision. Unless there is a shall issue law once all the rings are hurdled. If there is not then why even have this process other than the required training and passing a written exam, not being a criminal or mental patient the rest is BS, based on the one person or agency having final say so. Though, anyone here in the US reading these requirements must remember they do not have the Bill of Rights, Constitution etc we have therefore it is not a right being infringed upon in their legal system.

Cypherian
Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #43
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
you got drum mags for 10/22's legal? I wish I could get some 25rd-100rd mags "legally"

I would love unrestricted rimfire and my state currently has 15 round max on everything anyway. My pistols max out at 10 rounds so I could care less
Nope... Rimfire is not unrestricted in California.

Tube-fed lever action are unrestricted.
Tube-fed .22lr (specifically that caliber, not .17, not .22short, not .22mag) are unrestricted.

Any magazine or belt-fed design of any caliber is limited to 10 rounds*

* The possession or use of high capacity magazines is not illegal, we simply can not legally acquire them or assemble parts to make a new one.
Fixed-magazine centerfire guns that hold more than 10 rounds fall under an assault weapon law that is separate from the HC magazine law.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
Proper training and education (at least for your first purchase anyways).
I agree that training should be more promoted, but placing a legal requirement for it is pushing Constitutionality unless it is provided at no cost.

Hell... the government subsidizes more expensive and less logical things, there is no reason that it can't subsidize firearms safety training.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Most are fairly reasonable except the following:
7. Disclose the names and contact information of all conjugal partners in the last two years. These former and current partners are contacted to see if they have any concerns regarding the individualís acquisition of a firearm. Would be on file with the court system if they thought the person was dangerous IE Protection Orders,Terroristic Threatening etc. ( Don't know if you have these protections but I venture a guess you have something similar) Why give a person pissed over a break up the ability to cause the other party grief.
8. Disclose whether the Applicant has suffered a marital breakdown or a breakdown of a significant relationship, job loss or bankruptcy or other traumatic event in the last two years. 2 Years is to far back if someone was planning nefarious deeds they wouldn't actually need a weapon so why not 6 months to 1 year. Again, though alot of this would be on record with the exception of breakdown of significant relationship and traumatic event which is open to interpretation and ambiguous at best.
9. Disclose whether you have threatened or attempted suicide, any consultation or treatment for alcohol, substance abuse, and behavioral or emotional problems in the last 5 years.
Redundant based on release of mental information and again on record in most places though usually only if it involved police, court or medical intervention.
Though, after having gone through this whole process it seems it doesn't matter as it comes down to one personís decision. Unless there is a shall issue law once all the rings are hurdled. If there is not then why even have this process other than the required training and passing a written exam, not being a criminal or mental patient the rest is BS, based on the one person or agency having final say so. Though, anyone here in the US reading these requirements must remember they do not have the Bill of Rights, Constitution etc we have therefore it is not a right being infringed upon in their legal system.

Cypherian
Agreed.

Many of the things itemized are already picked up in the NICS background check.
Some of the other requirements are extremely invasive for no other reason than making the job of the researcher easier. Many of these are quite opposite to due process.

One reason that I do not yet have a concealed carry permit is because my county requires 5 references, and they conduct a neighborhood and employment check.

The 5 references are not a problem.
Neighborhood check? "Oh, we are discreet"
How discreet is a deputy asking questions about me?
And, my neighbors are part of the reason that I want a concealed carry permit. There are 3 people in my condo complex that know I own guns, and I want to keep it that way. My next-door neighbor is a convicted felon.
Employment check? My boss is not a problem, but his supervisor, who happens to be the Director of Public Works, is not quite so "friendly".

But... As of Monday, I will become a material witness in a murder trial. My situation may change to the point that I'll overlook the invasions and apply anyways.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #46
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Iowa: have money, go to gun show, buy.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
Iowa: have money, go to gun show, buy.
That's it for private party sales (curious how these are regulated in Canada), but if you are buying new from a dealer, you are still completing a 4473 and processed through the federal background check system.
That check covers many of the aspects of the Canadian requirements.

Don't forget the Lautenberg Amendment.... ANY domestic violence conviction is a lifetime prohibition on the federal level. A lot of guys got fucked when that passed, either because they didn't think a misdemeanor DV was worth spending the money to defend and just plead guilty, or plea-bargained a felony charge down to the misdo.
Instantly, that became a prohibiting conviction for life.
A lot of police officers lost their jobs because they became prohibited from being in possession of a firearm.
Even state procedures to expunge older convictions does not restore gun rights from a DV conviction.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #48
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Your culture is also a huge factor IMO.
I think this is the biggest problem. Our murder rate is higher than canada's overall, not just in the homicide using firearms category...
Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #49
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
I think this is the biggest problem. Our murder rate is higher than canada's overall, not just in the homicide using firearms category...
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...gal12a-eng.htm
Old 02-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #50
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
But... As of Monday, I will become a material witness in a murder trial. My situation may change to the point that I'll overlook the invasions and apply anyways.
I know you already are, but be careful and keep your family safe.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
Our population density is also significantly higher.

Pack the entire population of Canada into New Zealand and you have Los Angeles.

Like putting two critters in a jar and and shaking it up... they're going to fight.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #52
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Like putting two critters in a jar and and shaking it up... they're going to fight.
Didn't think of it that way... Thats a good point
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #53
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
seems like a good reason to move to 'Merica

I don't think that that would work in the US (if it was implemented now), as there are too many guns privately owned. It is just too much, I get the background checks, but that is about it.

I also wonder where inherited guns come into all this...
Old 02-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #54
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

that is genious...I'm gonna have to remember that for whenever I debate people about gun control....
Old 02-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #55
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Glad you're back.
From that, I take it Canada and Chicago are in a homicide grudge match, with Chicago taking the lead. Go Chicago!

Another worthwhile statistic is gun related injuries resulting from crime (attempted murder, aggravated battery, etc.). IMO, these numbers should be closely linked to actual deaths because medical advances are making saves today that would've otherwise resulted in a death not long ago. Leaving those crimes out doesn't reveal the entire picture.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #56
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I believe there has been one homicide in Greater Vancouver so far this year
Old 02-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #57

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
seems like a good reason to move to 'Merica
No thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #58
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Rich, a AR is a good multi-use platform, I can shoot coyotes with a 223 upper one day and go hunt deer with a 7.62x39 or 300 blackout, or 6.8 spc the next.
Or hunt big game within 100 yds with 458 socom.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #59
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
that is genious...I'm gonna have to remember that for whenever I debate people about gun control....
I try not to debate anyone about gun control or other hot topics, but I'll discuss it. Debates usually devolve into battles over entrenched opinions, with nasty outcomes. I get enough of that in the real world even when I try to avoid it.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #60

Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I believe there has been one homicide in Greater Vancouver so far this year
If Metro Vancouver is included in Greater Vancouver, then no