Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

To Own A Gun In Canada

Old 02-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
To Own A Gun In Canada

Do you'll think its a bit much or not enough?

Here's what a person must do to be a legal gun owner for sport and for hunting there's another course they must pass:

To obtain a PAL/RPAL: (Possession Acquisition License/Restricted Possession Acquisition License)
The individual MUST do the following:
1. Pass the Canada Firearms Safety Exam (written and practical)
2. Pass the Canada Restricted Firearms Safety Exam (written and practical)
3. Obtain an Application for a Restricted Possession and Acquisition License from the Canada Firearms Centre.
4. Provide a verified photograph
5. Provide two personal references that have known the applicant at least two years. These references are checked and extensively questioned regarding the Applicants history and any possible predisposition to violence or criminal activity.
6. Disclose all mental health information.
7. Disclose the names and contact information of all conjugal partners in the last two years. These former and current partners are contacted to see if they have any concerns regarding the individualís acquisition of a firearm.
8. Disclose whether the Applicant has suffered a marital breakdown or a breakdown of a significant relationship, job loss or bankruptcy or other traumatic event in the last two years.
9. Disclose whether you have threatened or attempted suicide, any consultation or treatment for alcohol, substance abuse, and behavioral or emotional problems in the last 5 years.
10. Disclose whether you do you know if you have been reported to the police or social services for violence, threatened or attempted violence, or other conflict in your home or elsewhere in the last 5 years?
11. Have a criminal records background check through your local police service, the O.P.P. (State Police equivalent), the R.C.M.P. (FBI equivalent), C.S.I.S. (CIA equivalent) and Interpol. This background check includes all charges, convictions and inquiries, juvenile and adult, federal, provincial and international.
12. Be approved by the Ontario Chief Firearms Office (O.P.P.) and submitted back to the Canada Firearms Centre (R.C.M.P.)
13. Wait a mandatory 28 days (closer to three to six months)
14. Receive the new license by mail.
15. Run to the gun store and touch everything that you could only dream of .
Old 02-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
woode87 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aircraft Mechanic
Name: Eric
woode87's Tacoma Gallery
The wait times seem slightly excessive, but those type of "gun controls" are 100% okay with me, especially the mandatory safety examinations.
The type of gun controls I DON'T like are the ones that actually limit things like capacity of magazines, collapsible stocks, etc. The magazines and stocks aren't what are killing people, its the idiots who are allowed to acquire guns.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
To own a gun in america:

1. Be at least 18 years old
2. Pass a background check
3. Have cash
Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post

Here's what a person must do to be a legal gun owner for sport and for hunting there's another course they must pass:

To obtain a PAL/RPAL: (Possession Acquisition License/Restricted Possession Acquisition License)
1. Pass the Canada Firearms Safety Exam (written and practical) (Good) not required here
2. Pass the Canada Restricted Firearms Safety Exam (written and practical) (Good) not required here
3. Obtain an Application for a Restricted Possession and Acquisition License from the Canada Firearms Centre. (Good) required in my state
4. Provide a verified photograph (Good) required in my state
5. Provide two personal references that have known the applicant at least two years. These references are checked and extensively questioned regarding the Applicants history and any possible predisposition to violence or criminal activity. (Good) required in my state for every pistol purchase
6. Disclose all mental health information. (Good) required in my state
7. Disclose the names and contact information of all conjugal partners in the last two years. These former and current partners are contacted to see if they have any concerns regarding the individualís acquisition of a firearm. (Not good) bitch's be crazy
8. Disclose whether the Applicant has suffered a marital breakdown or a breakdown of a significant relationship, job loss or bankruptcy or other traumatic event in the last two years. (Good) not required here
9. Disclose whether you have threatened or attempted suicide, any consultation or treatment for alcohol, substance abuse, and behavioral or emotional problems in the last 5 years. (Good) required in my state but for lifetime
10. Disclose whether you do you know if you have been reported to the police or social services for violence, threatened or attempted violence, or other conflict in your home or elsewhere in the last 5 years? (Good) required in my state but ours is for life time
11. Have a criminal records background check through your local police service, the O.P.P. (State Police equivalent), the R.C.M.P. (FBI equivalent), C.S.I.S. (CIA equivalent) and Interpol. This background check includes all charges, convictions and inquiries, juvenile and adult, federal, provincial and international. (Good) FBI check required in my state
12. Be approved by the Ontario Chief Firearms Office (O.P.P.) and submitted back to the Canada Firearms Centre (R.C.M.P.) (Good) required in my state (local police chief)
13. Wait a mandatory 28 days (closer to three to six months) I waited 9 months for my long arms permit
14. Receive the new license by mail. same here
15. Run to the gun store and touch everything that you could only dream of . I just got denied last week because I didn't change my address when I moved. Hours are 8am-4pm. I work 7:30-5.
Not sure how hard some of the permits are to actually obtain, but it doesn't seem crazy to me.

*waits to get flamed by mericans*
Old 02-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Forever at a crossroads
09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mylene
09_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Don't need to take the course & test for restricted license if all you want are basic hunting rifles or any other firearm in the non-restricted class

Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I have no problem with it. But clearly that process would tear away our constitutional rights.

I particularly like the required exam/training aspects. Would be good to have that for a first purchase that a lot of that scaled back for subsequent purchases.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
To own a gun in america:

1. Be at least 18 years old
2. Pass a background check
3. Have cash

Maybe in your state, but in "America" every state has different laws. Chances are you are not be speaking for the other 49 states.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Over/under on number of pages til this thread goes to shit and gets locked?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
I think our extensive measures to obtain a firearm keep the crazies from owning firearms
Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
[/COLOR]
Quote:

1. Pass the Canada Firearms Safety Exam (written and practical) ok
2. Pass the Canada Restricted Firearms Safety Exam (written and practical)ok
3. Obtain an Application for a Restricted Possession and Acquisition License from the Canada Firearms Centre. a bit much
4. Provide a verified photograph ok
5. Provide two personal references that have known the applicant at least two years. These references are checked and extensively questioned regarding the Applicants history and any possible predisposition to violence or criminal activity. ok
6. Disclose all mental health information. good
7. Disclose the names and contact information of all conjugal partners in the last two years. These former and current partners are contacted to see if they have any concerns regarding the individualís acquisition of a firearm. absolutely none of their buisness
8. Disclose whether the Applicant has suffered a marital breakdown or a breakdown of a significant relationship, job loss or bankruptcy or other traumatic event in the last two years. ok
9. Disclose whether you have threatened or attempted suicide, any consultation or treatment for alcohol, substance abuse, and behavioral or emotional problems in the last 5 years. ok
10. Disclose whether you do you know if you have been reported to the police or social services for violence, threatened or attempted violence, or other conflict in your home or elsewhere in the last 5 years? ok
11. Have a criminal records background check through your local police service, the O.P.P. (State Police equivalent), the R.C.M.P. (FBI equivalent), C.S.I.S. (CIA equivalent) and Interpol. This background check includes all charges, convictions and inquiries, juvenile and adult, federal, provincial and international. a bit much
12. Be approved by the Ontario Chief Firearms Office (O.P.P.) and submitted back to the Canada Firearms Centre (R.C.M.P.) ok
13. Wait a mandatory 28 days (closer to three to six months) to much, in that amount of time i could get a suppressor (here in the states)
14. Receive the new license by mail. ok
15. Run to the gun store and touch everything that you could only dream of .
as someone else said, it's wrong when they say you cant have a mag capacity of over 10 rounds or a detachable mags.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
gibby0087 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
gibby0087's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Seems to work
X2
Old 02-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Maybe in your state, but in "America" every state has different laws. Chances are you are not be speaking for the other 49 states.
All I have to do.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
The only thing I find dumb about the control in Canada is the classification of different guns, a major example is ar-15s up here there restricted and were limited to only shooting them at ranges. Wish it was like the states where we could hunt with them
Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
I think our extensive measures to obtain a firearm keep the crazies from owning firearms
Your culture is also a huge factor IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
This is definitely going to turn into a shitshow
meh... in a mods thread? just ban them. simple.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
is there a registry of who owns what gun in Canada?
Not anymore for long guns at least
Old 02-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
We just got rid of the non restricted registry but restricted guns are still registered when purchased
Old 02-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I thihnk that all depends on how the residents feel. Out here, in Az, most people would not tollerate such an ordeal when purchasing a weapon. However.....in great Britan, that might be an acceptable set of regs., to allow for ownership.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #20
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I thihnk that all depends on how the residents feel. Out here, in Az, most people would not tollerate such an ordeal when purchasing a weapon. However.....in great Britan, that might be an acceptable set of regs., to allow for ownership.

or Jersey