1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would any of you carry Illegally?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by ERdept, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Feb 7, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    JC870

JC870 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport Longbed
    Blitz Safe aux. audio input
    I always consider it an option of last resort and that my life is in danger. I have never had to pull mine and hope I never do, but it is nice to have it as an "insurance policy" of sorts.

Reminds me... my CCW permit is due again this month.:)

2. Feb 7, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    why not just open carry?

I'd do it though, a lot better then being dead!

3. Feb 7, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i would be to temped to use it on all the stupid people in the world. my longbed couldnt carry that many bullets.

4. Feb 7, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    i don't even own a gun...the laws are so strict around here. they also make it a pita to obtain a gun as well with needing foid cards and wait periods and such. also, if you DO shoot a criminal and you arent allowed to ccw (i dont even know if you can get them in IL) or worse yet, don't have a foid card (fire arms owner id card), then you can get in MORE trouble than the criminal who was going to hurt you. thats how f-ed up this state is.

hell, a guy shot an intruder in his OWN HOUSE but I believe he did not have a foid card and the burgler tried to sue him!

5. Feb 7, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    JC870

JC870 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport Longbed
    Blitz Safe aux. audio input
    Man, that is effin crazy -sued b/c the sob was caught trying to break in and rob you blind! Glad to know as backwards as the state of Alabama may be... they got one thing right!:cool:

That guy better shoot to kill next time... (they wouldn't think twice about doing it to you if that meant they got away with the crime)

6. Feb 7, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    hospitals and schools are probably on the "no carry" list as well

I think to be a bar like 80% of its sales has to be alcohol...(liquor and wine but not beer)

I carry ALMOST everywhere...but then again...i can...i can bypass the no concealed weapons signs...i can go into a hospital/bank/school/wherever if i choose

HOWEVER...if i didnt have a badge for that...and i was going somewhere that may warrant said danger...i'd probably still put the gun in my truck

In SC you can have the handgun in a closed compartment...including the console or glovebox and NOT break the law...

Janster, in such a situation...its hard to determine when and IF you can draw the firearm...you pretty much have to go with your gut...a buddy of mine carries over his right hip on the back...and he was rubbed at knifepoint one night...the guy told him he wanted his wallet...instead of pulling out his wallet my buddy was able to safely draw his .45 while it appeard to the robber that he was getting his wallet

7. Feb 7, 2009 at 10:54 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I guess I look at things a little differently - depending on the situation (obviously), but you have to pick & choice the RIGHT TIME to whip out your gun.

If said criminal already has his gun ready & armed and already pointed at you, the chances of you getting yours OUT and being ready to shoot - you're already dead.

If said criminal doesn't already have a gun ready & armed - the moment he/she notices YOUR weapon is the moment they'll get theirs out. Ultimately, a gun fight will ensue.

Personally, I'm gonna let the criminal take whatever he wants (material goods), take a good look at hime, and let him go on his merry way. I don't want any gun shot involved possibly injuring or killing anyone. If we're talking something like Rape.....that's totally different. Even if its the last thing I do (and I get shot), My survival reaction is gonna be ripping his nuts off and shoving them up his nose even before I get the gun out to shoot him!
    (laugh)

8. Feb 7, 2009 at 11:15 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
  9. Feb 7, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    ERdept

ERdept [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:

Yes, my take on it. I deserve to be unmolested, to be in peace, to continue to live and see my family.

So, if the criminals would just live according to the law, I'd be OK.

OH, wait! They're criminals, and they'll actually do illegal things to violate my rights.

Oh my. Seems gun laws only affect those easy targets who comply with them, the law abiding citizen.:D

10. Feb 7, 2009 at 12:10 PM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    Not true. You face trespassing charges if you are caught somewhere that the property owner/ operator has posted a sign in "a conspicuous place".

I hate the alcohol rule. If it said that you can't carry while under the influence I would understand but to not be able to go to a restaurant with my wife without leaving my piece in the truck sucks. I don't carry in those places because getting caught would mean I no longer can carry legally anywhere and breaking the law because you feel justified doesn't help in court.

The right thing to do, in my mind, is to let your representatives know that you don't agree with the restrictions and work to get them changed, not dismiss them thereby making yourself a criminal in the process.

11. Feb 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    1st why pick your nose on camera????he couldnt even shake the kinfe out of a kids hand...why would it work on adult???this dude needs some friends his own age. still funny video

12. Feb 7, 2009 at 12:29 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    Still one of the great things about AZ.

x2 I carry on my hip where all the evil-do'ers can see my piece.

I carry when I go to CA, regardless of their overaly liberal laws. I would rather have to answer to a judge, then wind up truck jacked or robbed.

13. Feb 7, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.;)

14. Feb 7, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    seriously? you cant go into a restaurant without being worried that you need a gun? I would look into moving to a different neighborhood if that ever happened to me.

15. Feb 7, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    TRDfarmerTN

TRDfarmerTN Well-Known Member

Member:
    20% tint, painted handles,painted grill, wet okole seatcovers,sockmonkey decals
    i got my permit 3 days after i turned 21!!! and i carry my .40 cal in my truck 24/7 and carry a S&W .38 on my ankle....with the way times are now, you never know what people are going to do.. and the way i look at it if you should draw or not, is if you feel like your life is threatend bad, then draw! even if a 300lb 7ft tall guy comes at you with fist drawn, more then like he could kill my 165lb ass with those fist, so iam pulling it on him! thats what i was told in my permit class too.

16. Feb 7, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    We bring what we need when we off road, most of us have things we think we will never need. Why not have gun for incase, you never know what might happen. I have a training video I got some years back giving instruction on how to draw and ways to draw quicker, along with other things. But the point is that guy is capable of drawing and firing 3 shots in 2 seconds. With deadly accuracy.

17. Feb 7, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    HighPlains

HighPlains Well-Known Member

Member:
    When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

I hardly ever have gun on my person, but there is often one in whatever vehicle I happen to be in.

18. Feb 7, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    1. If I knew when I should be worried I just plain wouldn't go there, would I? Saying that you should only carry when you know you'll be in danger is like saying you should only have a spare tire on your truck when you know you'll have a blow-out.

2. If I am not drinking, why should it matter if the place I am in has a license to sell alcohol for on premises consumption?

3. I actually live in a fairly remote area and have to travel into town to go to a restaurant. Town is fairly safe but you don't pull up to the destination and get out at the curb. Almost all attacks happen going to or from your vehicle. If I can't carry in the restaurant that means the bg knows that I'm unarmed coming back to my vehicle, unless I'm breaking the law as well while I'm in there. It's not like there's a set of lockers outside you can lock your piece in.

Just something to think about. Many, if not most, gun laws attempt to address one issue and fail miserably at that while effecting the majority of law abiding citizens. If you just enforce a basic set of laws and impose severe punishment for those that break them you don't need fifty different laws to say "don't shoot somebody except in defense from deadly force".

19. Feb 8, 2009 at 3:53 AM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    Don't get me wrong, I am all for CCW here. But, as previously state, I don't even own a gun. It's a completely different state of thinking here with stricter gun laws. If I lived in the city, where the majority of crime happens, I may have a different outlook I guess. However, all my friends and family never carry a gun with them which is polar opposite from other states. Heck, half of them don't even own a gun. Hand guns are illegal in the city and they make it so dang hard to get one it's not even worth it half the time. I wouldn't mind a small .22 or 9mm just to play around with though. maybe step up to a .38 once I am comfortable with it.... but of course I have to fill out all the paperwork, get a picture taken and send it into the state and wait a month for them to background check and process it.

20. Feb 8, 2009 at 7:09 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    Tough to get a gun in Chicago, huh? I wonder how long it'll be before he tries to make it like that all over. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing... but just one more pain in the a**.

To slightly update my previous post... I don't carry a weapon with me much at all. Rather than carry one into a dangerous place, I just avoid the place. But, as the OP said, if I HAD to go somewhere that I felt was dangerous, I would bring protection along regardless of the law.

Products Discussed in

To Top