LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Any one here got a 1911?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
Me Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stan
Me Likey TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco38SUP View Post
1911s are by far the best platform out there but they arent cheap. As far failures go if you are going to use it to protect your life or family make sure to have a reliability package performed by a good gunsmith.

1911s are like Tacomas good from the factory but better after mods. My personal preference is a Colt Commander.

RJM
Totally agree.

I had a coworker a few years back that owned a Colt 10mm auto. Beautiful pistol. He had never shot it and kept it in his night stand with a loaded clip for personal defense.

Finally talked him into going shooting with me one day. On the first shot - the slide stuck and stove-piped the spent shell. That really opened his eyes.

I took it home with me and did a tune-up - it worked flawlessly after that. New guns, especially autos can be very tight and not ready for 'action'.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Own a kimber pro carry, never had a problem with it and shoots very nicely.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Likey TRD View Post
Totally agree.

I had a coworker a few years back that owned a Colt 10mm auto. Beautiful pistol. He had never shot it and kept it in his night stand with a loaded clip for personal defense.

Finally talked him into going shooting with me one day. On the first shot - the slide stuck and stove-piped the spent shell. That really opened his eyes.

I took it home with me and did a tune-up - it worked flawlessly after that. New guns, especially autos can be very tight and not ready for 'action'.
Absolutely.

I do not trust any semi-auto for personal defense unless I have put at least 200 rounds OF THE INTENDED AMMO through it in one day without a single failure.

That means 200 rounds of Speer Gold Dot JHP+P, Ranger, and HST... 2 boxes of FMJ value-pack don't count.

Wheelguns? I'm happy if I've put 50 rounds through one so I know the timing and trigger pull is solid and consistent.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
beckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nice

beckleyota's Tacoma Gallery
i love my star pd 45. Old and hard to get parts for but all in all a great gun.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
My Colt Combat Elite has been a very reliable pistol.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #26
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
I was able to find a kimber eclipse target 2 .45. Can't wait for the paperwork to finish(damn you MD). I wanna Shoot!!!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #27
Me Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Great choice! You'll love it.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #28
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery

Sure do like my Taurus 1911. My wife gave ne the grips a few Christmas' ago.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #29
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
My personal opinion...if I could only own one pistol...the Colt 1911 is it.
Attached Thumbnails
Any one here got a 1911?-9-8-12-044.jpg   Any one here got a 1911?-9-8-12-046.jpg  
Old 02-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #30
Piratelawyer is just really nicePiratelawyer is just really nicePiratelawyer is just really nicePiratelawyer is just really nicePiratelawyer is just really nice
Name: Chris
Piratelawyer's Tacoma Gallery
1911s can be addictive. I purchased my first one about two years ago. That then grew to 6. I am back down to five, but that is just because I sold one to buy another. I agree with what others have said about a 1911 should be a 45, but I do have one in 22lr because it allows you to get some less expensive range time. I also have the Springfield EMP in 9mm (everyday carry). This is a great gun, but if I had it to do over again I would get it in 40.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #31
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
My personal opinion...if I could only own one pistol...the Colt 1911 is it.
I go back and forth on that.
I love my 1911 for it's classic look and feel, but I also love the reliability of my SP101, and the compactness and magazine capacity of my Glock-26.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #32
GoatFiddyone is on a distinguished road

GoatFiddyone's Tacoma Gallery
I was in your shoes. I bought my first handgun a few weeks ago and went in wanting a Springfield 1911. The guy at my local gun shop said it was a great gun but would recommend something different. I ended up buying a FNH .40 and couldn't be happier. It's cheper to shoot than the 1911, it's lighter, it is physically smaller and I have a rail. My next gun will definitely be a 1911 but I'm pretty happy with the FN.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #33
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
I have Rock Island 1911 GI. Stripped and built custom. Not a great first gun, they are pretty tough to disassemble and maintain. I would go with a more simple platform like a Springfield XD or Glock.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Taco_Time View Post
I have Rock Island 1911 GI. Stripped and built custom. Not a great first gun, they are pretty tough to disassemble and maintain. I would go with a more simple platform like a Springfield XD or Glock.
The 1911 is a very simple platform. A complete strip to the frame is complex on any gun, and perhaps a touch easier with the XD/Glock, but that is the nature of striker-fired guns. The main advantage of the XD/Glock design is the captive spring/guide rod... makes reassembly a bit easier. Disassembly? I can probably rip the slide off of my XD and Glock a bit more quickly than the 1911, but we're talking seconds... not minutes.

For hammer-fired, the 1911 is much simpler than something with a decocker safety like the 92FS or Double Eagle.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #35
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
The 1911 is a very simple platform. A complete strip to the frame is complex on any gun, and perhaps a touch easier with the XD/Glock, but that is the nature of striker-fired guns. The main advantage of the XD/Glock design is the captive spring/guide rod... makes reassembly a bit easier. Disassembly? I can probably rip the slide off of my XD and Glock a bit more quickly than the 1911, but we're talking seconds... not minutes.

For hammer-fired, the 1911 is much simpler than something with a decocker safety like the 92FS or Double Eagle.
Agreed. I meant field strip, but didn't feel like explaining what that meant
Your knowledge of guns in general sounds like it would make a field strip or complete dis-assembly easy. For someone who hasn't done it before, there are a lot more parts that need to go back together in a 1911, and would probably be more intimidating.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #36
empty hull is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
empty hull's Tacoma Gallery
It is really hard to not go wrong with any 1911. Enjoy. Tim
Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #37

Quote:
but I also love the reliability of my SP101
Ah, a man after my own heart. I've had an SP101 for many years. I would trade-away many other guns before I parted with this one.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Likey TRD View Post
Ah, a man after my own heart. I've had an SP101 for many years. I would trade-away many other guns before I parted with this one.
Ruger does a lot of things "pretty well".
They do one thing very well, and that is wheelguns.

I like the smoother, more consistent trigger break of the Smith, but honestly, I don't see a Smith wheelgun as being worth $200-$300 more than a comparable Ruger.

Boss's girlfriend ended up picking up a GP100 after I let her borrow my snubbie.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #39
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ruger does a lot of things "pretty well".
They do one thing very well, and that is wheelguns.

I like the smoother, more consistent trigger break of the Smith, but honestly, I don't see a Smith wheelgun as being worth $200-$300 more than a comparable Ruger.

Boss's girlfriend ended up picking up a GP100 after I let her borrow my snubbie.
i've got/had both smith and ruger 44 revolvers...i like both and they both have pros and cons

the smith has an INCREDIBLE trigger...the ruger can handle big boy loads
Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #40
Mr. Boombastic
TacoIII will become famous soon enoughTacoIII will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Security forces
Name: Andrew
TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
I have an American Classic II 1911. I heard good reviews for it being only $460. I have not shot or held it yet but, hopefully I will like it!