LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Any one here got a 1911?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
Any one here got a 1911?

I am looking to get my first handgun and I am really liking the 1911style. I am looking at a Kimber 45 or 9mm with a rail and laser grip. Just wondering if anyone here has a 1911 and what they think of it.
Update:
I was able to find a kimber eclipse target 2 .45. Can't wait for the paperwork to finish(damn you MD). I wanna Shoot!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
I miss my Taco
Zombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
I carry a Para-Ordnance GI Expert as my edc, and love it. I love the platform, but it depends on what you are planning on doing with it. I carry mine b/c I am used to having the weight on my hip, and I am used to it. It is expensive to shoot, even before the gun control bullshit. Kimber makes amazing 1911's but their service dept, and customer service is severely lacking. There are other brands that make 1911's with rails. Check out 1911forum.com for more info.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Springfield Armory 1911 MC Operator. It's pretty bitchin'. Has a tactical rail, so ive got a cool light for it,awesome color, the thing is stupid accurate lol, I'll never be a accurate as it can be lol, well, maybe in a couple years and several thousand dollars of ammo lol. Had a stream light TLR-2s, but honestly I rarely used the laser and its har to aim down the sights with a laser, so I ended up selling that and got a TLR-1s for just the light
Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
I miss my Taco
Zombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
I just noticed that you said it will be your first handgun... A lot of people would not recommend a 1911 as a first handgun, I don't necessarily agree, but there are other options I would go with for my first one. But again, this all depends on what you are wanting to do with it. I can get away carrying my 1911, b/c in my state printing is not a big deal(open carry is 100% legal). But in most states if you are printing, it can get you into trouble.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
TheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Seth
TheGloryFades's Tacoma Gallery
I carry an Sti Spartan and love it. Take down is a bit of a pain but love the accuracy and lack of recoil. I carry mine concealed but it's a bit big.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Kimber 1911 eclipse and I love it. It was also my first hand gun. Most people would not recommend 1911 as your first gun as it's a little more involved in dissambly and reassembly as there are more pieces. Kimbers are built tight and will need 200-500 rounds to loosen up a bit and within the breaking period I experienced some jamming but after 250 rounds and a spring change, I have not experience a problem at all.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
SnowmanFX is on a distinguished road
SnowmanFX's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Tauras 1911 .45 with the rail and I am currently looking for the laser grips.

I love it other than the fact I bought the Stainless version and it is rather heavy.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowmanFX View Post
I have a Tauras 1911 .45 with the rail and I am currently looking for the laser grips.

I love it other than the fact I bought the Stainless version and it is rather heavy.
Stainless is the way to go with 1911's, if not might as well go with a glock or something. I would also go with a 45 to stay true to the 1911 style.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
Me Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stan
Me Likey TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Here are the two that have ended up as my favorites:

Kimber stainless - a real smooth shooter (got it when they first came out)

Springfield Ultra Compact (I like stainless)
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dman597's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Likey TRD View Post
Here are the two that have ended up as my favorites:

Kimber stainless - a real smooth shooter (got it when they first came out)

Springfield Ultra Compact (I like stainless)
I like both of these but I want the rail. I am hearing a lot of people complaining about jamming in kimbers. How are the spring fields. I am looking to stay under1500. This will not be a carry gun just home defense and shooting at the range.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
International Jewel Thief
Drummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Michael
Drummer0247's Tacoma Gallery
id have a 1911, but i spend all my money on my truck, and my son....damn him
Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #13

dman597's Tacoma Gallery
Some say its not what they recommend for a first gun. I am just wondering y.
I shoot a beat up on tonight at the range and hit with a 8 inch spread at ten yards. Nothing to brag about but for my first time I feel that it would get the job done if need. I like the heavier weight of the gun. Is a 5 inch barrel better if length is not an issue
Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
gopedguy101 will become famous soon enoughgopedguy101 will become famous soon enough

gopedguy101's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't get a 9mm. Just my opinion but a 1911 should always be .45
Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i think theyre not considered "beginner" guns because they are so easy swap parts onto...and when you get to tinkering...if you don't know what you're doing you can easily find yourself with a $900 unreliable frustrating hunk of metal
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #16
TheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Seth
TheGloryFades's Tacoma Gallery
What tiger said and break down can be a pain on some, I need a barrel bushing tool to break mine down
Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
RIA Tactical with some enhancements.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
Loco38SUP is on a distinguished road

Loco38SUP's Tacoma Gallery
1911s are by far the best platform out there but they arent cheap. As far failures go if you are going to use it to protect your life or family make sure to have a reliability package performed by a good gunsmith.

1911s are like Tacomas good from the factory but better after mods. My personal preference is a Colt Commander.

RJM
Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #19
06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
06TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Ruger SR1911. Its my first handgun and I love it; no problems at all with about 250 rounds through it.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a used Colt Compact (3 1/2" barrel) a couple of years ago for carry. That was probably a mistake. I had to tinker with it quite a bit to make it reliable, and still don't trust it. Decided to replace it with a new Colt Defender (3" barrel), which has proved to be very reliable. The shorter barrelled models are more temperamental. They also tend to bite the web of the shooter's hand if they don't have a beavertail grip safety. The 5" models are probably the most reliable, tho a commander might be a good choice, too.